New HR34 or wait for Hopper???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The AM21 works off a database based on zip code. You can enter 2 zips if you are near 2 markets
All markets are loaded into the database so even if your locals arent carried by D* you can still get them OTA

What local market? I've got a spreadsheet that shows which locals are in the database

Actually, the HR34 scans now with the AM21/21N. I tell it that my local market is Birmingham, and it went in and added some of the locals from Tupelo/Columbus, MS that I can pick up here. The AM21 that I have on my HR24 does not do this. Maybe they are adding this feature to the 2X series in the future.

Maybe. :)

If I do a comparison of what I have now and subtract out the MRV fee since Dish doesn't have that right now, and use the same number of DVRs with similar but not exactly, the same features, it is very close.

Direct = $65.99 (Choice Xtra) + $7 DVR + $12 (lease for 2 DVRS) = $84.99

Dish = $59.99 (T200) + $6 DVR + $20 (lease for 2 612s) = $85.99

As of right now, with D* the benefit is MRV which is not offered by E*, and with E* I have the benefit of having 3 OTA tuners that D* doesn't have. And with D*, even if I add an OTA module, it doesn't get me any more recording capabilities.

So 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

I wonder what the cost breakdown will be with a pair of Hoppers?

I will bet you that Dish adds a MRV fee. Probably it will make the DVR fee $10 with MRV, and I bet that additional Hoppers will be $17 lease fee just like a Duo DVR is. Of course it remains to be seen, but I can't imagine them lowering the lease fees. It would not surprise me for them to make Joey's have a $10 lease fee, but maybe they will go with $6 or $7.

I will bet you that Dish adds a MRV fee. Probably it will make the DVR fee $10 with MRV, and I bet that additional Hoppers will be $17 lease fee just like a Duo DVR is. Of course it remains to be seen, but I can't imagine them lowering the lease fees. It would not surprise me for them to make Joey's have a $10 lease fee, but maybe they will go with $6 or $7.

I agree, I do think they will add a MRV fee and I think it will be in line with D*'s current.

Now as to lease fees, well the 612, which is a dual-tuner DVR with all the features sans MRV of the D* HR series is a $10 lease fee. And the Vip211 is a $7 fee and it has one tuner. So I think that the Hopper will come in somewhere between $10 & $17 and actually think it will be closer to the $10, and the Joey will come in at $5 since it has no tuner at all.

Of course, as usual, the first Hopper won't have a lease fee.

Actually, the HR34 scans now with the AM21/21N. I tell it that my local market is Birmingham, and it went in and added some of the locals from Tupelo/Columbus, MS that I can pick up here. The AM21 that I have on my HR24 does not do this. Maybe they are adding this feature to the 2X series in the future.

good to know :)

I agree, I do think they will add a MRV fee and I think it will be in line with D*'s current.

Now as to lease fees, well the 612, which is a dual-tuner DVR with all the features sans MRV of the D* HR series is a $10 lease fee. And the Vip211 is a $7 fee and it has one tuner. So I think that the Hopper will come in somewhere between $10 & $17 and actually think it will be closer to the $10, and the Joey will come in at $5 since it has no tuner at all.

Of course, as usual, the first Hopper won't have a lease fee.

But, don't you think that since an additional 622/722/722K/922 is $17 because it is a "DuoDVR" and outputs to two TV's that they will do this for an additional Hopper? I would'nt doubt that they might even give you a free Joey, so the first Hopper/Joey is "fee free." Then probably at least $5-$7 for a Joey and since the Hopper is 3 tuners and can output to multiple TV sets, I can't see them being any cheaper than the X22 Vip series fee structure.

If the HR-34 has a fee structure similar to having two Hoppers then what would the advantage of the HR-34 be then?

You could have two HR34 receivers if you wanted and have 10 REAL tuners at your disposal, and the lease fee is still only $6 per month. What would the advantage to two Hoppers with 6 REAL tuners be then?

But, don't you think that since an additional 622/722/722K/922 is $17 because it is a "DuoDVR" and outputs to two TV's that they will do this for an additional Hopper? I would'nt doubt that they might even give you a free Joey, so the first Hopper/Joey is "fee free." Then probably at least $5-$7 for a Joey and since the Hopper is 3 tuners and can output to multiple TV sets, I can't see them being any cheaper than the X22 Vip series fee structure.

Well we all should know soon how much they will cost upfront and per month. But the word from CES was 'aggressive' -- it remains to be seen what that actually means in this case.

With the Hopper becoming the standard box for all new installs as I think it will be, the unit cost could be significantly lower, and the Joeys are pretty stripped down in many respects, the unit cost will probably be a pittance also.

You could have two HR34 receivers if you wanted and have 10 REAL tuners at your disposal, and the lease fee is still only $6 per month. What would the advantage to two Hoppers with 6 REAL tuners be then?

I can tell you one advantage, unified todo list. With the Hopper/Joey system, all are the same as any one from the perspective of using it. That isn't true with the D* method. There is a unified recording list, but you have to go to each box on the system to set the recordings. That isn't an issue in a single HR34 system, but it is in a multiple unit setup as it is for those of us that have multiple DVRs (like me).

lparsons21 said:
I can tell you one advantage, unified todo list. With the Hopper/Joey system, all are the same as any one from the perspective of using it. That isn't true with the D* method. There is a unified recording list, but you have to go to each box on the system to set the recordings. That isn't an issue in a single HR34 system, but it is in a multiple unit setup as it is for those of us that have multiple DVRs (like me).

Yes I am well aware of not having collaborative scheduling. I would prefer to have it myself. However, if DirecTV wants to implement collaborative scheduling, I am sure it will come in a future software upgrade.
DirecTV does much more with their existing technology than Dish.

Another issue with all Dish DVR's is if you record back to back shows there is no overlap recorded. Its a hard cut at the end time

so if you record back to back shows of say Pawn Stars or Storage Wars you usually miss the last little bit due to the hard cut at say 9:30:00 when it runs until 9:30:05
Directv at least records the overlap

Another thing that is funny is these same people who gloat that their 722k can record 2 sat & 2 OTA at the same time (with optional adapter) are turning their nose up at the Hopper because there is no OTA tuner option so they're "limited" to only prime time recording of more than one network

That's because we like Lawrence Welk on PBS,"POP" "Thank you Thank you,now Bobby and Sissy will dance for you".;):D

My son got rid of Comcast in San Jose,CA.,he asked me which satellite provider to go with(he doesn't care about sports).I recommended DirecTV and the HR34!(he also got 2 H24s for the bedrooms).Surprised?.:eek::)

In another year(or less) I may join him(if D* gets all these basic HD channels I keep hearing about).

The local cable company coming to my area charges $17 per month for a dual tuner single tv output DVR and I am sure that box is not near as functional as the Dish Network or Directv DVR. NO EHD, among other things.

I would think that Dish Network would charge $17 for each additional Hopper including a Joey so an additional Hopper without a Joey would probably be $10, the same as a 612, unless they see the third tuner as a premium adding perhaps another $3 per month? I wonder how that fee structure would work as the first receiver on the account? Currently a 722 can do two rooms with only the $7 DVR fee and no additional outlet fees. A 612 gets you two more tuners with one additional tv for $10 more per month. So that's a total of four tuners and three televisions (two of which would be HD tv outputs) for $17 in fees per month. For another $10 per month you can get another 612 getting you to six total tuners (three of which are HD outputs to tv's) for $27. That would be equal to two Hoppers. $10 for the first Hopper $17 for the second Hopper equals these fees if it includes a Joey with each Hopper and the DVR fee.

Charlottesville locals in the database

WVAWLD 16_1
WCAVDT 19_1
WCAVDT2 19_2
WCAVDT3 19_3
WAHULD 27_1
WVIRDT 29_1
WVIRDT2 29_2
WVIRDT3 29_3
WHTJDT 41_1
WHTJDT2 41_2
WHTJDT3 41_3

All I see missing is 27-2 (MyTV)

Just so that I'm clear, that means I will have a guide that will show what programs on on those stations. Thanks.

Just so that I'm clear, that means I will have a guide that will show what programs on on those stations. Thanks.

yes
Now the HR34 from a previous report you can scan all channels (the HR21-24 you can't) so any added channel may not have guide info but hopefully someone with a HR34/AM21 setup can confirm that

yes
Now the HR34 from a previous report you can scan all channels (the HR21-24 you can't) so any added channel may not have guide info but hopefully someone with a HR34/AM21 setup can confirm that

The HR34 "kind of" scans. You really don't go in and have an option to scan, you just put your zip code in, and then it looks like it is doing the same thing that the HR2x series does. However, when you go into the edit channel function, you will see a list of what ever you can pick up where you live, not just the channels in the data base for your zip code. I will try to think and reset mine, and go through it again, and find out if the guide data propogates. I think that it will for most stations, could not be for all though.

With my luck on DVR's I have had 2 die. One was and SD unit and the other was an HD unit. Living without can be a big pain in the you know what. The HR34 has been great, couple minor problems on whole home BUT it's livable!

Thanks Satwatcher. That is the kind of information I am looking for - are the problems with the HR34 a deal breaker or more of a nuisance and it looks like they are just a nuisance for you.

Do you guys think it would solve the problem in the short-term (while D* is fixing the bugs) to get another HDDVR receiver in addition to the HR34? I mainly watch TV on 2 TVs and maybe this would make them more stable. Then I wouldn't be too upset if i had to wait a few months for the MVR features to get worked out so the other 2 TVs worked more consistently. Is that wishful thinking on my part or would that work for the most part?

The HR34 "kind of" scans. You really don't go in and have an option to scan, you just put your zip code in, and then it looks like it is doing the same thing that the HR2x series does. However, when you go into the edit channel function, you will see a list of what ever you can pick up where you live, not just the channels in the data base for your zip code. I will try to think and reset mine, and go through it again, and find out if the guide data propogates. I think that it will for most stations, could not be for all though.

I live near Canada, and the AM21 does find many signals from there, in addition to local channels in my area. There is guide programming info for my locals, but the Canada stations only have a generic comment.
The performance of the AM21 is far more sensitive than my old 722k OTA tuner.

Talking about tuner count... The 722 had 2 sat tuners. More often I was finding both tied up recording and left me with the choice to interrupt it or not use the receiver. The HR34 has 5 tuners and only once have I had all in use. The tuner in the H25 units is used to watch things on that unit, but not for recording to the 34; it don't work as a 6th tuner for the 34. All recordings on the 34 are sourced by its own tuners.

It is true that the 722 has 2 outputs. Since the 2nd output is not HD, it was useless to me.

Looks like Dish published there price sheet via published prices in there new Contract form. It is labeled as a sample.
The prices are in an other thread.

Can someone re do the math with this new info comparing and HR34 with 5 Tuners and TWO Hoppers with 6 Tuners please?
I see someone did the match on the other page on this post, can we update it? Wondering how it compares now.

what do you need to know?

HR34...$99 for new subs up front. 0 monthly cost. $8 DVR fee. If you add H25's they are free up front and $6 a month. They have a tuner in them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)