New Install + 2 Missing Locals

Alto101

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 15, 2005
Louisville, KY
Most of my locals are coming in, but when I do the scan for local channels it doesn't receive anything for 11.1 WHAS-DT ABC. I have checked Antennaweb.org and it is very close to me and similar orientation to the other locals I am receiving. The program guide lists this channel but when I go to it, it says no signal received. I am also having the same problem with 21.1 WBNA-DT PAX, but that is 22.6 miles away and a much different compass orientation.

My zip code is 47150 if that helps.

Can I force Voom to scan for 11.1 manually, if so how?

Thanks!

P.S. I have software version 7.33 and have tried numerous times to rescan the locals and it never picks up 11.1 or 21.1

What is the signal strength for that channel?

In the menu where you scan for locals, the option one or two up is antenna strength. You need to go into that and punch in the RF number (not channel numer) to see the strength. Get the RF number from the antenna web page. It needs to be 80+ to lock in.

I am not sure how to see the strength for that channel, but for the frequency (55) I am barely above 80, about 81 or 82. It scans that frequency but does not find the channel. Do I need to have the installers back out to reposistion the antenna to get the strength up higher?

Hi Alto,
I am in 40229 and have problems with the reception of 11.1 lately. But it just looks like it is on the border for reception, on bad days around 75-78, so the box doesn't lock the channel. Just go to the installers menu and look at the strength.
(Voom button, green, green, 7, 1, 3. Now type in 55 and ok. This should give you the signal strength)..
I know I have the original antenna Voom shipped early on, so I am not expecting much, but I get on good days around 90 on this channel (currently 88).

Have they cut power output on 11.1? Happens sometimes. You might try calling the station and ask them.

Still watching HD-Equator at the moment-under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

A problem we have to live with

Alto101 said:
Most of my locals are coming in, but when I do the scan for local channels it doesn't receive anything for 11.1 WHAS-DT ABC. I have checked Antennaweb.org and it is very close to me and similar orientation to the other locals I am receiving. The program guide lists this channel but when I go to it, it says no signal received. I am also having the same problem with 21.1 WBNA-DT PAX, but that is 22.6 miles away and a much different compass orientation.

My zip code is 47150 if that helps.

Can I force Voom to scan for 11.1 manually, if so how?

Thanks!

P.S. I have software version 7.33 and have tried numerous times to rescan the locals and it never picks up 11.1 or 21.1

I've had 4 different receiver's, " Zenith 520,Thoshiba 3000t,Samsung 161 & Voom. all have this problem in one way or another. It seems Digital signal's have the same problem with "TI", as analog . Maybe more so for the lock feature " all or none ". I know this don't help much. I feel we have to live with the no signal issue until all of the providers start using all of the power the FCC has given them. most power down at certian time's of the day, in central Ohio. I know there are OTA guru's out there give us your input on this Issue it affect's most of the OTA user's on this site. I'm sure.

Just wanted to update this thread to reflect the service call I had yesterday. On a previous service call the installer tried to adjust the OTA antenna to increase the reception of my locals without any luck. I called Voom to request an antenna upgrade and they set up a service call for yesterday. The upgraded antenna was a generic UHF/VHF antenna and was rather small but the installer did have a larger Winegard antenna to try if the smaller one did not work. Anyway, as soon as he connected the antenna my OTA reception strength increased on every channel with every channel in the 98-100% range.....even channel 11.1:)

Anyway, my gut feeling is that the original antenna was defective since I am only 4 miles from the towers and it couldn't pull in all the channels.

Glad to here you got everything working now Ryan. Hope you enjoy your voom now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)