New install at vacation home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freakedout

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Is there anything I need to be aware of when setting up a system at a vacation home. my family purchased a new lake home and need directv. dsl is not available at this house. no phone service is currently active. We have 3bedrooms and a living room tvs to hook up. I am hoping to get a hr34 w 3hd receivers for the bedrooms and whole home service. I just like to be sure I know most of the answers before I talk to a csr and I know you guys will know the score.

John

Others will add to this but the short list =
* The lack of a landline phone will not affect your ability to use Directv. If you use PPV it will have to be done on line or otherwise.
* Receivers you now own will also work at your second address. The violation of the contract = running eq at two addressess at the same time. While it is possible to open and close service at different addresses it may be easier and cheaper to have one account rather than one account for each address.
* The free installation calls for surface wiring only so you may want to either negotiate with the installer or have the rg6 run prior to the installation.
* Directv will not promise what eq the installer brings. See what the CSR says about that.
* RE CSRs......you might try calling Directv and asking your question exactly as you presented it here. They might toss new account goodies to keep you from asking your questions at DISH.
* If your new site has no sat dish currently you want to make sure there is a LOS (Line of Sight) prior to doing any extra cable installation.

Good luck,

Joe

Others will add to this but the short list =
* The lack of a landline phone will not affect your ability to use Directv. If you use PPV it will have to be done on line or otherwise.
* Receivers you now own will also work at your second address. The violation of the contract = running eq at two addressess at the same time. While it is possible to open and close service at different addresses it may be easier and cheaper to have one account rather than one account for each address.
* The free installation calls for surface wiring only so you may want to either negotiate with the installer or have the rg6 run prior to the installation.
* Directv will not promise what eq the installer brings. See what the CSR says about that.
* RE CSRs......you might try calling Directv and asking your question exactly as you presented it here. They might toss new account goodies to keep you from asking your questions at DISH.
* If your new site has no sat dish currently you want to make sure there is a LOS (Line of Sight) prior to doing any extra cable installation.

Good luck,

Joe

See what the CSR says about that.
I would advocate ignoring anything a DIRECTV CSR has to say regarding the model or new/used status of a receiver. When pressured, they seem to favor promising something that they simply cannot promise.

That said, if the OP orders an HR34, they'll get an HR34. The other HD receivers could be one of any of the models (excluding the H20).

The question of whether to go for a second account or having to move everything back and forth needs to be carefully thought out. There will be much sorrow when someone leaves a box behind on one end or the other.

The other issue that Joe didn't visit is whether or not the "Lake House" is close enough to receive the same local channels as the residence.

Yup,

All true!

Sometimes boxes in other spot zones are a good thing, sometimes not.

I did forget the other thing........ask the same question of different CSRs. Eventually they may get around to what you want to hear.

Good additions,

Joe

not sure why the other post came up twice???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)