New install, having troubles

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
So I decided to make the switch from Directv to Dish and had my install today. I had a Hopper w Sling, Super Joey, and regular Joey installed. Install seemed to go smoothly and when it was done I had to leave right away to get back to work. When I get home from work I go to turn on the TV that has the Super Joey connected to it and it is stuck at the receiver setup wizard screen. Says that the receiver needs to be activated. So I call Dish. They have me try a few things and then tell me that they will have to send out a tech and the soonest they can send one is May 26th!! Needless to say not happy about that. So I've been working with JasonS trying to figure out what the problem is and see if I can fix it myself before the tech comes so I can get up and running.

I only had 2 coax lines coming into the house so here's how the installer did it. She put the dish on the roof. That has 3 coax lines coming off of it. She ran 2 into the solo node and 1 into an integrator. Then the integrator is connected to the client line on the solo node and the other end of the integrator goes directly to my Super Joey. Off the host line of the solo node it runs into my basement where she installed a tap. One end of the tap goes to the Hopper and one end goes to the regular Joey in my kitchen. When I check the MoCa network everything checks out and the Hopper recognizes both Joey's and recognizes one as a Super Joey. If I push the red button it says there are 5 tuners, but tuner 4 and 5 just say acquiring data. If I do a check switch it fails. Tuners 4 and 5 just sit at 1 of 1. I tried eliminating the tap and the regular Joey thinking that was the problem and it didn't change anything. Someone please help! I'm not angry about things not working cause it happens. I'm just extremely mad that they can't send out a tech for a month!! I think that's ridiculous on a new install.

JasonS is doing his best to try and help but there's a shortage of techs in my area. Just thought I would see if you guys have any other ideas.

So I decided to make the switch from Directv to Dish and had my install today. I had a Hopper w Sling, Super Joey, and regular Joey installed. Install seemed to go smoothly and when it was done I had to leave right away to get back to work. When I get home from work I go to turn on the TV that has the Super Joey connected to it and it is stuck at the receiver setup wizard screen. Says that the receiver needs to be activated. So I call Dish. They have me try a few things and then tell me that they will have to send out a tech and the soonest they can send one is May 26th!! Needless to say not happy about that. So I've been working with JasonS trying to figure out what the problem is and see if I can fix it myself before the tech comes so I can get up and running.

I only had 2 coax lines coming into the house so here's how the installer did it. She put the dish on the roof. That has 3 coax lines coming off of it. She ran 2 into the solo node and 1 into an integrator. Then the integrator is connected to the client line on the solo node and the other end of the integrator goes directly to my Super Joey. Off the host line of the solo node it runs into my basement where she installed a tap. One end of the tap goes to the Hopper and one end goes to the regular Joey in my kitchen. When I check the MoCa network everything checks out and the Hopper recognizes both Joey's and recognizes one as a Super Joey. If I push the red button it says there are 5 tuners, but tuner 4 and 5 just say acquiring data. If I do a check switch it fails. Tuners 4 and 5 just sit at 1 of 1. I tried eliminating the tap and the regular Joey thinking that was the problem and it didn't change anything. Someone please help! I'm not angry about things not working cause it happens. I'm just extremely mad that they can't send out a tech for a month!! I think that's ridiculous on a new install.

JasonS is doing his best to try and help but there's a shortage of techs in my area. Just thought I would see if you guys have any other ideas.

Just to throw out a couple things as far as wiring that you don't mention.. On the Tap: The Client output should be going to your Joey and the Host output should be going to your Hopper?
One the Integrator: The HVN output should be going to the Client on the Solo node and the Client output of the Integrator should be going to your Super Joey?
Can one assume that your regular Joey is working OK?
It's possible that the Integrator is faulty if everything is wired correctly..

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/attachments/hopperjoeysystem_jobaid-pdf.95719/

Look through the above attachment to make sure everything is connected properly.. Also cable from Integrator to Super Joey is not bad...

Gerry

Reactions: hahler2
Regular Joey is working just fine. Everything is wired just how you said it should be. I suppose it's possible that the cable is bad but it seems unlikely to me. This was the line that was coming off the LNB for my Directv dish so it was running Directv's SWM system. All we did was unhook it from Directv dish and tie it into this system. Like I said it knows the Super Joey is there it just won't activate the 2 extra tuners.

Is it a bad integrator or is the Super Joey itself bad?

The Super Joey did this when the installer was here. She said "oh this happens sometimes" and hit a few buttons on the remote and the screen went away and had live TV. But I never did get the full 5 tuners and now it's back to that same screen again. So obviously something was wrong from the beginning but I trusted that she knew what she was talking about.

I agree with you Tampa. Completely. I'm sorry that there's a technician shortage in the area but they need to get someone out here and fix this. It's not my fault they screwed it up.

Can it be assumed that you unplugged the Super Joey for 15-20 seconds and plugged it back in? This followed by a new re-hit to the SJ.. You said that the 3rd line is a "reuse" of the Directv line that was existing and that is going to the integrator (?) that is then used for the Superjoey? If this is true- I would "mark" that line and then switch it with one of the two other lines from the dish to see if it has an adverse effect on your hopper as far as a check switch or other problems. The MOCA is internal to the house and from what you say it appears that all internal wiring is working as it should.. It's possible that something is wrong with the line to the integrator...
Gerry

I did unplug the super Joey for 30 seconds or so. But that was after they tried the rehit. I never had them rehit it after unplugging it.

I can try swapping wires from the dish when I get home.

You said that the superjoey was continuing to try "acquiring" signal if I remember correctly. If so this would mean that it is not seeing the Dish. This would indicate a bad Integrator or a problem with the line from dish to integrator. The cable could have a bad connection (bent pin) or depending on how it's run maybe a staple through it? If you have a OHM meter check to make sure you don't have a short from the center conductor to the outside at the end that goes into integrator. Of course you have no way of knowing if you have an open. Dish is on the roof- anyway to get to it easily to check connections, etc..?
Gerry

Ok so I got a few minutes to run home and experiment. First I took the hopper and moved it from the basement to the living room where the super Joey is. The way things are wired all of them come into the basement from the node and integrator. So I switched lines so the hopper would still be on the host line like it's supposed to. Hopper wouldn't get signal in the super Joey location. So I moved it back to the basement and it works just like it should.

Next I hooked the super Joey up in the basement right where the lines come in from the node and integrator. Super Joey saw signal and passed the heck switch. However it was still stuck at the activate receiver screen. I am betting that if I rehit it now that it's seeing the satellites though that it will work. Which will be what I try next but I ran out of time and had to get back to work.

So assuming that this fixes it that means it's the wiring from my basement to the living room that is the problem. I ran those cables myself around 8 years ago. I know I used rg6. So I'm wondering first what are the max distances you can have from the node to the receiver and second, what do I do if it is bad cable since they're run through the wall? Currently it is about 30 ft from the dish, node, and the integrator to the hopper in the basement. Then it's about another 20 ft from there to the super Joey.

Ok so I got a few minutes to run home and experiment. First I took the hopper and moved it from the basement to the living room where the super Joey is. The way things are wired all of them come into the basement from the node and integrator. So I switched lines so the hopper would still be on the host line like it's supposed to. Hopper wouldn't get signal in the super Joey location. So I moved it back to the basement and it works just like it should.

Next I hooked the super Joey up in the basement right where the lines come in from the node and integrator. Super Joey saw signal and passed the heck switch. However it was still stuck at the activate receiver screen. I am betting that if I rehit it now that it's seeing the satellites though that it will work. Which will be what I try next but I ran out of time and had to get back to work.

So assuming that this fixes it that means it's the wiring from my basement to the living room that is the problem. I ran those cables myself around 8 years ago. I know I used rg6. So I'm wondering first what are the max distances you can have from the node to the receiver and second, what do I do if it is bad cable since they're run through the wall? Currently it is about 30 ft from the dish, node, and the integrator to the hopper in the basement. Then it's about another 20 ft from there to the super Joey.

Distance is not the problem at all on RG6 as I believe you could go like 100-150 feet. Next I would get a 50 Ft RG6 cable and run it from basement integrator up the steps and to the living room. Hook up the superjoey and see if it will do check switch and then call to activate again. If all this works then I think you know where you stand as far as the wire through wall :(.
Gerry

50 Ft or longer if needed to get from point A to point B...

Don't forget to check or replace the connectors on that cable...may be the issue and would avoid the cable replacement in the wall.

And everything is working!

Last time I was home I had hooked the Super Joey up in the basement and got it to pass a check switch. I sent JasonS a message on here and asked him to rehit it while I was at work and see if it would activate. Got home and sure enough, it was working.

So my next step in checking cabling I moved the regular Joey to the Living Room (where the Super Joey was at) and connected the Super Joey in the kitchen. Still working! From there it was an easy fix because the coax cables run from the basement, through the living room, and then on to the kitchen. So all I had to do was switch the kitchen and living room cables, then reconnect the Super Joey in the living room, and all is good!

Big thank you to JasonS, ggw2000, and everyone else in this thread! You guys really helped me work through a very frustrating problem!

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41 and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)