New install issue with low signal

raiden

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
I just went back to dish after may years away at my new house.
Signal is around 55% when I check it.
A contractor came out and installed the system with a pole mount since there are a lot of trees.
Dish is facing southeast.
So at 55% with I get a lost of lost signals in the rain? And what can I do? Should I call customer support and tell them that the installer did a poor job?

I just went back to dish after may years away at my new house.
Signal is around 55% when I check it.
A contractor came out and installed the system with a pole mount since there are a lot of trees.
Dish is facing southeast.
So at 55% with I get a lost of lost signals in the rain? And what can I do? Should I call customer support and tell them that the installer did a poor job?
Read these forums instead of jumping to conclusions. While you were away DISH made changes to the way signal strength is displayed. Most of the time the signal is "low" but now fades at 20% or so. You don't give your location but sounds like you are on Eastern Arc. Give us a list of your equipment and signal strength for a specific satellite and transponder and hopefully someone in your area will give you a comparable signal strength.

Sorry I have to correct something. That is not percent. It is points. And signal does not start to fade until you are below 35 points. 30 for anything noticeable. If at 55 points, that means you have 20 points of loss before signal goes out, if that helps you judge what clouds will knock it out. I have been between 55-75 on various WA satellites since I have had dish and lost signal for less than 5 minutes in 4 years.

There is also an .xls file somewhere (maybe at the Dish Knowledge Base) which shows average signal level points for each market in the U.S. That would let you compare your levels to your market. I wish that .xls file was a pinned 'sticky' in the Dish forums here.

Thanks for the response. I cleared a couple of small trees and improved the signal. I was also told that the eastern arc sats don't send a strong signal to Michigan as western do? But I only lost signal during a thunder storm on an off for about an hour.

Thanks for the response. I cleared a couple of small trees and improved the signal. I was also told that the eastern arc sats don't send a strong signal to Michigan as western do? But I only lost signal during a thunder storm on an off for about an hour.

Like Claude said--55 on Eastern Arc is good. I'm also on EA and in Michigan. Most of mine hover a bit above or below 50 and I only lose signal when it POURS and then it's not gone for long.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts