New Install Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hilljec

Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Just had a subcontractor come out to the house to look at a new install, two HD boxes and MRV, he didn't look very professional and seemed a little shady. He used a cellphone app to check line of sight, is this the proper way? I have a Suunto Compass Clinometer and it looks close to me. He stated that I would loose signal in the winter if he installed? Looks like it would be the opposite when we loose leaves in the winter.

He also mentioned that I would have to pay $75 for a in ground pole mount and if I wanted the coax buried it was $1/LF? Are these correct.

I think I am about to contact customer service and ask for a second opinion. Just wanted to check around here if this is legit.

Jeff
Birmingham, AL

the iphone/android app is actually really good at checking line of site.

The other 2 amounts that I do not know..you might want to call Directv and see what they say

If a pole mount is necessary for LOS issues, there generally is no charge. $75 is about right for a custom job. Cable burial is generally free up to 25 ft, then by the foot after that. $1/ft sounds about right.

What are all of my dish options that could be installed for HD and Birmingham locals? Looks like to me that 99 & 119 maybe my issues.

Your local sd channels are on 101, so unless you want the few audio channels there, you don't need to get 119. If you can get 101 and 103, then you should be okay for 99, it's just slightly to the left of 101. You may need to find a different location for the dish to get a los to all three of the satellites.

What are all of my dish options that could be installed for HD and Birmingham locals? Looks like to me that 99 & 119 maybe my issues.

IF you can get the 101 strong, you should in most cases be able to get the 99 and 103.

Dish wise, a Slimline 3 probably with or without SWM

the slimline 3 (99/101/103) will be sufficient in BHM. 110 or 119 is not needed unless you need spanish channels

Eitherway, it sounds like the tech was fairly accurate although unprofessional with his quoting. 75 was the charge when I was a contractor for d* 2yrs ago. Cable burial was actually more.

Eitherway, it sounds like the tech was fairly accurate although unprofessional with his quoting. 75 was the charge when I was a contractor for d* 2yrs ago. Cable burial was actually more.

Is this out of line ?
I've always heard $ 75 for a pole mount and sometimes it was free, there never has been a rhyme or reason as to why or when a fee would be charged.
MANY people do not want a dish ON the ROOF.
I think it should be the subs option provided both are available.

Jimbo, I think generally speaking the pole install is free only if there is a los issue.

raoul5788 said:
Jimbo, I think generally speaking the pole install is free only if there is a los issue.

That's why I alway do my own pole mounts and set up. :)
I highly doubt a worker from D*/ sub would even touch the one I'm using now. (16') as far as installing it.
Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Mine either! It's 3.5' in the ground and 9.5' above with no guy wires. I thought I was going to have to add them, but after 5 years, it's still rock solid.

The dishpointer APP is good, but not perfect. Its only as good as the exact receiving location of where the dish would be installed. If the phone takes a pictures even 1 foot off where the dish would be, the dishpointer cell picture is no good. I went thought this with my install. Installer came out, took a quick pick, but 3 feet to the left of where the dish would go, and said no and got back in the truck and left. Second installer came out, actually set up the dish and hooked up a signal meter exactly where it would be installed, and it worked great. Nearly perfect reception.

Mine either! It's 3.5' in the ground and 9.5' above with no guy wires. I thought I was going to have to add them, but after 5 years, it's still rock solid.

Mine is supported at the roof line, it sits about 4 foot over the roof line, on a FLAT roof.
The guys love it if they need to come out ....

Had them check the SS last time out and they put the Birdog on it and said I had it better than they usually do, I was surprised and happy !

No charge if pole needed for LOS in these parts. Charge applies if customer wants or has to have a pole mount instead of standard roof installation. I'll put one on a pole in a heartbeat if it amounts to a savings in time/trouble/cabeling for me. Cost of pole and concrete vs. carrying ladder/tools/dish through the house (and back) to get 2nd story deck for the sake of putting it on the roof......no brainer. You only have to struggle once with a ladder inside the house-up and down the stairwell dodging walls/furniture/pictures, etc. while the customer watches you like a hawk instead of grabbing the other end of the ladder to help to figure that on out. Some days I just don't feel like dodging cars, trees, junk and kid's toys with a 28 footer. Often the much safer/smarter thing for me to do. Have yet to damage a shingle edge, a gutter or hit a power line with a 2" diameter six ft. long piece of steel pole. Have never come close to falling while doing a pole mount. On some jobs the ladders look just fine on the truck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)