New install mounting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

evenout

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
On a new install, are there any restrictions as to where DirecTV can mount the dish?

I have an old post where an old C-Band (big dish) satellite was at. That dish isn't there, but the post still is. I'm not sure how much concrete it was set in, but it had to hold up one of those big dishes, so I'm sure it's adequate to hold a DirecTV dish. But will the installer mount it there?

I'm not sure about the view of the sky to align the satellite. If the installer comes out and says that theres not a good enough view of the satellite from that location, that's fine. I'm just wondering if there are any stipulations at all that would prevent them from mounting it there? I would prefer to have it mounted there if I can, because that post isn't going any where, might as well get some use out of it.

Biggest problem is "C" Band usually mounted on a 3-4" pipe Directv mounts on a 2" pipe so you will need sometype of adapter to mount the dish on. Secondly you will need to bury new cable from the existing dish pole to the house usually with a $ charge per foot. You really need to make sure that pipe is still secure and verticle. I've seen many "C" Band dishes leaning to the side where the dish was abandoned, rain and wind over time have moved things.

Boba is correct with the custom charges and per dtv we are not allowed to adapt any preexisting poles. A new one must be installed which is also a custom charge unless there is no los from the roof. But the fees are up to the particular installer. If he feels like doing it for free he can. But keep in mind he is not paid if he doesn't charge you. So don't expect it to be free.

:welcome to Satelliteguys evenout!

If you have a smartphone you can download SatelliteAR to find out where the satellites you need to receive are. Likely the spot where the c-band dish was will have a good line of sight. If so, you can run the cable for the dish yourself and save that charge.

Please note these apps are not 100% accurate. It all depends on the compass calibration in your phone. I had the app tell me 119 was clear today but it was about 5 degree off... which is alot.

They can be off a lot. That's why I always calibrate the compass before I use it, using the figure eight routine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)