New Install - Nervous and some final questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JonBlack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Lowcountry, SC
Here's some basic background. I'm switching over from E* after almost 8 years of service. E* has treated us right and we've enjoyed being a customer. We've never really considered switching providers until we purchased new HDTVs for our home over Black Friday weekend. Due to our growing family needs we decided to get a whole home DVR system and HDTV available in all rooms. E* has the Hopper and they made us a very reasonable offer to upgrade but couldn't really help us out on the programming. We have Uverse internet service but I'm not impressed with their TV services.

To make a long story short, we looked into D* and the Genie/C31 setup seemed perfect for our needs. I ordered it on Tuesday and the install is Friday (tomorrow). We're getting the Genie, four C31 clients and the D* CCK.

We're scheduled from 12-4 and I'm very nervous about the install tomorrow. Mainly, I'm concerned about getting a bad or sub-par installer. I'm also concerned about an installer showing up, no-show or cancel, since I'm taking off of work for the install. I've had E* out about 5 times over the years for different things and 2 techs (initial installer and the tech who installed a new dish for HD were great). Two of the other three were OK and the third was very young and was so-so but not bad.

Is there anything I can look at to see if the installer is rushing the job too much or cutting corners? Are the installers for D* usually accommodating? One of the E* installer actually tucked the wire underneath part of the soffit (very easy to do) instead of nailing it up there. I think the D* dish will probably go on the other side of the house and would like for the installer to do the same thing.

Also, I have RG59 feeding the non-primary TVs. RG6 feeds the main TV area where the Genie will go. Is this a problem? I've read that using RG59 for the C31's is acceptable then I read that an installer can baulk at it. What is the official policy on this? I'd love to replace the RG59 but I know that the E* installers didn't want to mess with it. I don't blame them, since I live on a slab brick house and most of the cables are on the outside wall.

Finally, we are going to try and connect the CCK through coax in the study where a TV and our router is located at. Will the CCK work over RG59? We requested that the installer bring a wireless CCK too but we'll see how that goes.

Any other advice, etc. for us?

Thanks!

There is little chance of predicting how good your installer is.

If they give you a tour right off the bat of where the dish is going and how the cable will be routed, that's a good sign. Another good sign is an installer who is looking for things you can do (like getting stuff moved out of their way) and asking questions about power outlets. This shows that the installer is thinking ahead and won't waste your time or his trying to track you down later.

Make sure that if any cable needs special routing (or cannot be used because it is your modem line) that you make it clear up front.

If your CCK connection is likely to work best wireless, make sure you have the Wi-fi parameters written down. If the study isn't easy to cable (and the existing cable goes to the modem), you may need to go that route.

If OTA is to be part of your installation, make sure the installer adds cable as the OTA signals cannot be carried on the DIRECTV wiring (or vice versa).

be aware that the system you are getting will be limited in recording
with 5 tuners, any c31 will take one of them, leaving fewer available for recording

if its feasable/affordable, try and get another dvr and maybe change the c31's to h24/h25's

We debated on getting a H24/H25 over another C31 and decided against it. We're aware that there is a C31 three active client limit with the Genie setup. We decided to get the fourth box for convenience of not moving a C31 room to room as needed rather than needing an active tuner. Even with three active clients, that still leaves two tuners, one for live TV on the Genie itself or recording and one more reserved for recording.

Still, we know that we are pushing the limits of the Genie setup if we needed everything active at once but at this time it's exactly what we need.

Heck this is going to be light years over the 722 dual tuner setup we got now and struggle with.

I lost some sleep last night and my worries over the installer were for not. We ended up with a great installer from Mastec!

The first thing he did was check the locations where the boxes were going inside. After that, he brought up the issues with having 4 C31's and only being able to use 3 tuners with them at once. He said we could get a H25 if we wanted and was super thorough in discussing the pros and cons of both using a fourth C31 and a H25. Also, I brought up the RG59 wiring and CCK issues I was concerned over. He said the next step was to test the RG59 lines and go from there. Also, he said he carried both wired and wireless CCKs on his van, so that wasn't a real issue. He offered to take the LNB off of the E* dish and/or the whole dish assembly minus the mounting bracket if we wanted. He even explained that E* would most likely want the LNB back. Also, I asked him about RF remote for a TV that was going to be wall mounted and the C31 hidden. He said, he had both remotes and would get whichever remote we need for our TVs.

We obviously worked everything out and with the small wireless issue we had it took about 4 fours for our tech to complete the install. After he finished everything I told how much we appreciated his work and I gave him a tip. We are very happy with the results! I'll be sending a very positive email to the field supervisor, office supervisor and D* this weekend.

I didn't have any complaints with E* and it actually breaks my heart to leave them after almost 8 years of service. It may seem odd to folks but I'm loyal like that, especially to a company that has done us right over the year. Anyway, I called E* this evening and cancelled our service. Although I gave them a chance earlier this week to keep us, they did offer us a great deal on the Hopper hardware but no so much on the programming discount. When I cancelled, they gave us exactly what we wanted on the programming discount. I let the very friendly CSR know that if they would've offered us this discount earlier in the week that we would probably still be E* customers. She said she understood and asked us to keep them in mind in the future, when we decide to shop around.

JonBlack,
Glad it worked for you.
Directv customers have the same experience.........cut off at the knees until they quit to reach new goals for their system. Hope you got all the free stuff you need because cash will be needed in the future.
Getting good service from MASTEC is a positive sign...They have a rap sheet within the installation industry.

Report how it goes. I am a former installer...but read around here to see how things have been going.

Joe

^ Yea, seems to be par for the course for being cut off at the knees. They only want to keep you once you are actually gone. I've gotten two more offers from Dish since cancelling last night. I guess in a way that it makes sense. I assume most people who call and threaten, etc. are bluffing. Dish found out I wasn't bluffing. Oh well, I have 24 months with D* and we'll take it from there.

We got everything we needed and then some. We debated whether to get a setup that just meets our needs now or have a setup that gives us some breathing room. We wanted some breathing room for a change.

I've read some of the rap sheets of Mastec here. I went back today and looked over our installer's work and I'm still very happy with everything he did. It's hard to make me very happy, so that says something. I'll be sending the positive email tomorrow or Monday.

Here's some basic background. I'm switching over from E* after almost 8 years of service. E* has treated us right and we've enjoyed being a customer. We've never really considered switching providers until we purchased new HDTVs for our home over Black Friday weekend. Due to our growing family needs we decided to get a whole home DVR system and HDTV available in all rooms. E* has the Hopper and they made us a very reasonable offer to upgrade but couldn't really help us out on the programming. We have Uverse internet service but I'm not impressed with their TV services.

To make a long story short, we looked into D* and the Genie/C31 setup seemed perfect for our needs. I ordered it on Tuesday and the install is Friday (tomorrow). We're getting the Genie, four C31 clients and the D* CCK.

We're scheduled from 12-4 and I'm very nervous about the install tomorrow. Mainly, I'm concerned about getting a bad or sub-par installer. I'm also concerned about an installer showing up, no-show or cancel, since I'm taking off of work for the install. I've had E* out about 5 times over the years for different things and 2 techs (initial installer and the tech who installed a new dish for HD were great). Two of the other three were OK and the third was very young and was so-so but not bad.

Is there anything I can look at to see if the installer is rushing the job too much or cutting corners? Are the installers for D* usually accommodating? One of the E* installer actually tucked the wire underneath part of the soffit (very easy to do) instead of nailing it up there. I think the D* dish will probably go on the other side of the house and would like for the installer to do the same thing.

Also, I have RG59 feeding the non-primary TVs. RG6 feeds the main TV area where the Genie will go. Is this a problem? I've read that using RG59 for the C31's is acceptable then I read that an installer can baulk at it. What is the official policy on this? I'd love to replace the RG59 but I know that the E* installers didn't want to mess with it. I don't blame them, since I live on a slab brick house and most of the cables are on the outside wall.

Finally, we are going to try and connect the CCK through coax in the study where a TV and our router is located at. Will the CCK work over RG59? We requested that the installer bring a wireless CCK too but we'll see how that goes.

Any other advice, etc. for us?

Thanks!

This issue crops up from time to time.
Now, just to preface, I am a former tech of 12 years..
Here we go...If you wish to be home for the install, your choice. In most cases, I preferred to have the "decision maker" present anyway.
Made my life easier.
Such as...."this is the best place for the dish to go....Ok? Good".
"In which rooms do wish to watch satellite tv?....These four? Good. Now, please move all of the breakables and other personal items away from the work areas. I will also ask you to move your tv's off the wall so that I may get to the rear of the tv as well as the coax outlet behind the tv"....
See who this is going so far?

Look, if you want to be there, that's fine...
Some guidelines for nervous customers..
1. do not hover over the tech
2. limit conversation to the install
3 once the dish placement and cable routing have been agreed upon, go find something to do.
4 Let the guy do his work. You would not hover over the electrician or plumber and try to tell them how to do their job.
5. if you start the relationship between you and the tech on an adversarial level, neither you nor he will be pleasant or in a decent mood.
6 let him work at his own pace. If the work is being done correctly and the routing of the cabling is neat, you have no worries.

I am glad you had a good experience with your installer. As an installer myself it sounds like he has done an excellent job with you. All of your concerns were addressed and solved in a manner that worked out for both you and him. I know that he appreciated the tip. I always do. Thanks for considering and rewarding his good work in both kind words and tipping. It sounds like his training was good. Your description of his work, removing the old dish, and letting you know how a system works was very helpful to you. That is what a well trained and good installer should do. I have been installing for five years now and I know that many of my customers appreciate the extra little things that help them overcome some of the questions and fears that they may have. I don't work for Mastec but do installs for a Retailer shop. My training came from Directv while at a contractor shop that worked for them. I know that any installer that gets that training does a good job if he applies the knowledge he gained during training. I am glad it all worked out for you and welcome aboard as a new Directv customer.

Typically a local retailer is your best choice for obtaining Dish or DirecTV. They normally use their own employees rather than independant contractors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)