New install, not impressed.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

liltommy

Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I had DTV installed yesterday. I had "Dish", so as installs go I think the installer had an easy job.

He (the installer) had to get 1 extra line for a new DVR to a location and put a SD receiver in a new location which already had cable ran to it.
He ended up using an existing line that I had run from an antenna for the 2nd line to the DVR. He ended up running it across the roof , over the gutter and down the siding. Is it proper practice to run cable over gutter?

What I'm really questioning is, he took down the old "Dish" dish. The actuall dish he just dropped off the roof but I can't find the parts that you actually hook the cable to. I think they're call LNBs.
I want to know why he probly kept these? Are these something that I might find useful later on and should get back from him.

I wouldn't mind but the whole install was unprofessional.
-He had to borrow a 5/8" wood bit from me to drill holes (WTF, what kind of installer doesn't have drill bits.
-He borrowed scissors to cut up mastic tape.
-He didn't use plates on the wall were the new rec.went. I know dish installed plates in the original install.
-I had to give him a caulk gun and some silicone and ask him to seal around the holes he had just made for the new lines he ran.
-He didn't evan ask about a broom or vac to clean up insulation from him going into the attic. I was going to clean it up anyways but when I was in the service industry I would atleast ask the homeowners if they had a broom so I could clean any mess I made.

Am I just being picky.

I don't know how they get paid but when you show up the install 5 boxes and 3/4 of the work has already been done for ya, you'd take your time on what you do have to do.

Thanks for your opinions guys.

He probably installs both services so thats more than likely why he took the lnbfs, he could be selling them though it wont be much money.

Definitely a poor excuse for an installer from what you've sald with all he didnt do and the tools he didnt have. Going over the gutter isnt the best thing to do but sometimes its the only thing you can do if your pressed for time or routing the cable is extremely limited to this option.

I had DTV installed yesterday. I had "Dish", so as installs go I think the installer had an easy job.

He (the installer) had to get 1 extra line for a new DVR to a location and put a SD receiver in a new location which already had cable ran to it.
He ended up using an existing line that I had run from an antenna for the 2nd line to the DVR. He ended up running it across the roof , over the gutter and down the siding. Is it proper practice to run cable over gutter?

What I'm really questioning is, he took down the old "Dish" dish. The actuall dish he just dropped off the roof but I can't find the parts that you actually hook the cable to. I think they're call LNBs.
I want to know why he probly kept these? Are these something that I might find useful later on and should get back from him.

I wouldn't mind but the whole install was unprofessional.
-He had to borrow a 5/8" wood bit from me to drill holes (WTF, what kind of installer doesn't have drill bits.
-He borrowed scissors to cut up mastic tape.
-He didn't use plates on the wall were the new rec.went. I know dish installed plates in the original install.
-I had to give him a caulk gun and some silicone and ask him to seal around the holes he had just made for the new lines he ran.
-He didn't evan ask about a broom or vac to clean up insulation from him going into the attic. I was going to clean it up anyways but when I was in the service industry I would atleast ask the homeowners if they had a broom so I could clean any mess I made.

Am I just being picky.

I don't know how they get paid but when you show up the install 5 boxes and 3/4 of the work has already been done for ya, you'd take your time on what you do have to do.

Thanks for your opinions guys.
The Dsih and LNBV's are of no use to you. However he should have left them with you..They are your property. Cable "over the gutter" is fine. as long as it is neat. Attempting ot go behind the gutter in most cases is impossible and risky..Could cause damage to the gutter support(s)...As for the rest of the stuff..no you are not being picky. He should have his own tools, bits ect.. A few times I have to get creative abnd may not have a drill bit for an unsual situation. If the custojmer looks like he may be handy, sure I will ask if he can hook me up.. After all I am trying to accomodate his wshes. The idea is get the job done..
The cleanup stuff, or lack thereof , is inexcusable. We should always clean up after out selves, if we move furniture then replace it, etc...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)