New install on 2/19 - What do I need to know?

gilmoreisu

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Iowa
Hi everyone.
First off, this is my first topic on Satellite Guys but I've been visiting the site for a solid year now. So, I've come to respect the knowledge of the individual contributors here and know a few things about satellites. Enough buttering you guys up, here is my question.

I live in Des Moines, IA and I'm getting an upgrade from the old reliable 625 to the 722. I will need a new dish installed for this upgrade. I have the Top 250 w/ locals and I'm getting all the HD I can get.

Is there anything I should know going into this? Is there anything I need to ask to make sure it gets installed correctly? Are there any shortcuts I should watch out for that some installers may take?

I know I need to have the dish grounded, so I'll make sure and check that the installer does that.

I'm not looking for anything free "on the side" or anything. I just want to make sure I get the best possible install.

Any insight that you can provide would be helpful. Thanks everyone for your comments!

One thing you might think about is whether you have a location for the dish that is workable, and acceptable to you regarding appearance on the house, AND would allow you to manually remove snow/ice from the dish on those stormy days. I live in the Chicago region and my dish is located on the top of the 2-story house. If we have a storm and it affects the reception, I just have to wait it out. On the other hand, my brother's dish is located on the side of his house. A bush hides it and you can't see it other than from the side of the house. He can just walk outside and clean it off if necessary. You being from Des Moines are prone to similar weather phenomenom.

Ultimately though, put it where the installer thinks it will work best, and you think it will look best (if that is a concern to you). I mention the above just as a possible option to consider.

The big questions are where is your dish located, and do you have a lot of trees/other obstructions to the south-southwest? Like Ken said if you have snow on the roof and the dish is somewhere other than the edge of the roof, then you more than likely will be rescheduled until the snow clears. If your dish is on the side of your house or on a pole then there should be no problem unless trees become a concern.

As far as making sure he's doing the job right, he should be running some type of RG-6 with a messenger wire from the dish if you don't already have that, so that he may properly ground the dish and rg-6 lines to an acceptable ground source.

More than likely since you are in Des Moines, you will have my company or one of our subcontractors out. Which we all(should) do the work correctly. Also if the Dish Network guys are still here from Kansas City then you may have them out.

Most importantly just watch the installer. If he starts doing something your not sure about, just ask him to explain it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I live in a new development so trees definitely aren't a problem. My dish is located on the second story roof and I definitely can't get too it to wipe off snow. My wife is not fond of the idea of putting it on a post so unfortunately thats not an option.

Anything else you think of let me know! I'm just excited to finally get more than 4 channels of HD!!

Thanks.

Winter is a dangerous time for Techs

2nd story roof huh? Man I hate those jobs in the winter time. If your dish is right on the edge it should be serviceable - if it's not please have respect for whatever your installer wishes to do. Remember one wrong move on a icy roof could mean disaster. Especially that high off the ground.

Not trying to make any excuses for anyone. I had to do one yesterday 2-1/2 stories up - pretty sketchy, but got it done. I did make it clear to them before I started that if at any time I felt too unsafe job was being rescheduled.

Good luck to you man I am sure it will go well

Luckily the dish is on the edge of the roof so there is no need to climb on the roof. But thanks for making that point.

You've just given me something else to worry about! We've had 42 inches of snow this winter already, lets just hope we get a nice sunny day next week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts