New Install planning for Austin, TX - newb questions

akoreneff

Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Austin, TX
I've done a lot of searching on the forums, and I've been having trouble distinguishing current from deprecated data, so I apologize in advance for my foolishness. :)

I'm seriously considering an E* install near Austin, TX (78621) for AT250+HD+Local, but I'm seriously concerned with the signal issues Texans have reported off the bird at 129W. While I understand most of those users are south of me, reducing signal dropouts is very important to household harmony.

My current setup is TW cable with an HD DVR. I'm looking to change because of issues with the DVR itself (its been replaced twice with the same issues), regular prime-time signal dropouts, and the excessive compression they use on the channels I watch. Their internet and digital phone service work beautifully for me, as having the fiber terminus/disto amp in my front yard gives me a fantastic signal.

I'm currently only planning a single 722 receiver, but would like the flexibility to add additional receivers elsewhere later. I've got no issue with having a dish farm, and have no LoS issues. I'm also willing to pay extra to get an installation that meets my needs, but as cash is rather tight would like to avoid useless expenditures.

My current thoughts are:

• a single-sat dish for 129 (D500? If not, what else?)
  • a single-sat dish for 61.5 (ditto)
  • a D500 for 110+119
  • tied together with a DP+44 switch to get the 4 satellite sources together
  • Red-zone directional OTA antenna

These leaves some questions:

1. Will this setup work any better than the double-dish setups I see around the neighborhood?
  2. Would something else better meet my needs?
  3. Am I completely insane?

Thank you in advance; E* is a new world for me. :up

The new bird at 129W will be up in a month or so and there will no longer be an issue with signal strength.

You don't need both 61.5 and 129. National HD is the same on both satellites. The DFW HD locals are on both 110 (western arc) and 61.5 (eastern arc). I imagine your RSN is as well but I don't know that for sure. If you contract with E* for the install, you'll likely get either a 1000.2 for 110, 119, and 129 or a 1000.4 for 72.7, 77, and 61.5 (if DFW is an eastern arc DMA and I think maybe it is, it'll be the 1000.4 unless there are line of sight issues). I suspect if you want anything different you'll need to engage a local retailer/installer or buy and install the antennas yourself. While separate antenna for each satellite will max out signal strengths, I'm not sure the smaller 20-inch dishes will be worth the cost to you. Rain fade will be mitigated but likely not eliminated completely. If that's what you're looking for, you need to go to larger dishes. To eliminate rain fade entirely would require fairly large dishes.

Ignore my talk about locals being on both sats. I was referring to DFW, not Austin which is what you want. My bad.

Last edited:
akoreneff,
I'm virtually certain all you'll need is a 1000.4 dish pointing at the eastern arc satellites (61.5, 72 and 77), for the Austin market, including Fox Sports SW. The 1000.4 gives you outputs for 3 separate boxes (for future growth). About the only issue I see might be connection (or installation) of an OTA antenna into the equation. Some installers are very helpful about adding diplexors or extra coax for individual runs, others less willing (generally depends on who the installer is).
Miner

Actually in Austin, the HD locals are on 61.5, and some other stuff is on 129.

I have all 4 here. (1000 for 110/119/129, and a 2nd dish for 61.5).

Actually in Austin, the HD locals are on 61.5, and some other stuff is on 129.

I have all 4 here. (1000 for 110/119/129, and a 2nd dish for 61.5).

LER,
I thought all the National HD was mirrored on both 61.5 and 129, with only local stations differnent. I have a 500 at 110/119 and a 300 at 61.5 and pick up the same channels (execpt Fox Sports SW) that I did in when I was in Seattle.
But I could be mistaken.
Miner

Missing Channels?

New 1000.4 dish snow and ice build up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)