New Install Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kokomogator

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Well, made the leap from Dish to Direct...istall is scheduled for Tuesday. My question is this; I have 2 Dish HDDVR receivers (622 & 921), and am replacing them with a HR20 & HR21. I have 2 dishes on the corner of my roof and want the Direct dishes installed in the same location...will they take the old dishes down or are we responsible to do it? Also should we go ahead on the day of the install, disconnect the Dish receivers (I assume they will use the same wiring)?

Any help is appreciated :)

From my point of view, I am happy to take down an old dish and mount the new dish in the same place. As far as the wiring goes if it looks good and meets specs then I will re use what is there. Eveything depends on whether the Line of site for the location works. But I can tell you I have been to houses that have multiple dishes there that were left by other installers who just mount the new dish and ignore the old ones hanging there. It all depends on your installer..

From my point of view, I am happy to take down an old dish and mount the new dish in the same place. As far as the wiring goes if it looks good and meets specs then I will re use what is there. Eveything depends on whether the Line of site for the location works. But I can tell you I have been to houses that have multiple dishes there that were left by other installers who just mount the new dish and ignore the old ones hanging there. It all depends on your installer..

No way I am leaving 4 dishes on my roof......so do you think I should call Direct and ask what normal procedure is, or ask for the number of the installer in my area?

As an installer I always asked whether the customer wanted the dishes up there. I always figured I am already up there anyhow and just a few turns on the wrench and it's off. If they wanted me to remove the dishes I would double check the mounts and how stable they were. If they were strong enough then I would just use the mounts for my dish rather than drilling 12 more holes in the roof.

When my install was done the installer took my old dishes down even took out the lnb,s for me. Directv did tell me when i ordered the install that the tech would take them down. But just ask the installer im sure they will do it plus dont forget to tip. They did use all of the existing wiring and connections to. But remeber it isnt fun climbing up a roof and doing this installing stuff especailally when weather is bad so again please tip the lady or gentleman.

It's doubtful that the installer won't remove the 2 DN dishes if that is where you want the D* dish installed. It's highly probable the installer will want to reuse your RG6 so you have some leverage if he/she isn't initially amenable to the de-installation.

Why don't you ask the installer if he will remove it for you? After all, it is not his responsibility to remove your old equipment.

I have no problem removing them ourselves, I just did not know what to expect....I would never ask someone else to do it if it wasn't normal procedure.....that was why I was asking....

Thanks to everyone for their replys....we will probably just take them down ourselves to save the installer the time.....or would it be better for the installer to see how the mounts are currently installed (for you installers out there), also should we disconnect the receivers before they get there or does it matter?

I think the Slimline dish will interchange with the mast for the DISH superdish(th one with the multiswitch hanging from the dish). The cable is interchangable. A best practice is to remove unneeded masts but LEAVE the base until re roofing time. The base is ez to caulk.

Joe

When my install was done the installer took my old dishes down even took out the lnb,s for me. Directv did tell me when i ordered the install that the tech would take them down. But just ask the installer im sure they will do it plus dont forget to tip. They did use all of the existing wiring and connections to. But remeber it isnt fun climbing up a roof and doing this installing stuff especailally when weather is bad so again please tip the lady or gentleman.

What do you think would be an appropriate amount to tip...

What do you think would be an appropriate amount to tip...

Depends on how he does the job. I f he takes a lot of time or goes out of his way to help you, $20 is a good tip. If he just does it as fast as possible and leaves a mess then nothing. You could go anywhere in between. My guess is that most people don't tip at all.

Depends on how he does the job. I f he takes a lot of time or goes out of his way to help you, $20 is a good tip. If he just does it as fast as possible and leaves a mess then nothing. You could go anywhere in between. My guess is that most people don't tip at all.

I like to tip for good service and I agree if he/she does a good job and goes above and beyond, it is deserved...

Last edited:
Just remember in most cases the D* Slimline dish uses a larger base and pole diameter so they will be mounted in a different spot so they hit new wood. It is best to leave the existing base in place to keep the roof sealed against water leaks. Slimline should also have 2 support struts added so ther will be at least 8 new penetrations of the roof.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)