New Install question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sancho

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I have convinced my parents to go with D* since they were paying $70 a month for cable with no HD even though they have an HD television. (Hooray for the referral deal!!!)

They agreed, somewhat reluctantly, to go ahead and make the call. I say reluctantly because they have some reservations due to old myths about D*- rain fade, (like it ever even rains in South Texas where they are), etc. that I was able to dispell.

Of course the CSR they spoke with was far from the most helpful when they called to place the order and it took a couple of calls for them to get everything set up correctly, so they are already having doubts. I'm 3 hours away from them, so going there for the install on saturday isn't possible so I'm trying to prepare them for the install process.

One question they have is if there will be any visible cables or if their current cable tv cables will be used. I'm certain the cable that is in place is not going to be adequate, but will the installer run D* quality coax in the attic and walls where the current cables and wall plates are? My setup is in an apartment where I couldn't drill, so I don't have an answer for them.

Also, is there anything else that I need tell them to help the install process go smoothly?

I know once it is all installed they will be glad they made the switch, but like with most things the thought of change and something new is unsettling, so any advice anyone can pass on is greatly appreciated!

1. The standard professional installation does not including stealth cabling. That requires a contract to fish and will often cause an abort with a busy installer depending on the time of day.

2. Whether or not they get a single cable system is unknown until the installer arrives.

Is South Texas now immune to thunderstorms and hurricanes?

I don't mean to suggest that subscribing to satellite may not be in your parent's best interest, but you may have fostered some unreasonable expectations.

Rain fade will not be a issue. Cable signal is interrupted by the same conditions; the cable companies use satellites to move their feeds from their sources.

The existing cable will probably be fine unless it is very old (rg59) or is damaged (squirrels & rats).
It is the existing fittings that should be checked. If there are any splitters in the existing service they will have to be wired around.

Biggest thing you can do is make clear access around the TV (s). Move the grandchildren pictures and little league trophies. Plan a shelf or other place for the receiver and make sure there is an electric outlet for it. There could be additional charges to hide cables...the tech must tell you before he does anything that will be a additional charge.

Clear stuff from the vicinity of the electric meter. The tech will connect to the existing cable lines there.

Look South.....is there clear line of sight? You can go to dishpointer.com and enter your address for a satellite view of the property with a line where the dish has to point.

Good for you for asking. Most installations proceed as the above is dealt with. You will be ahead of the game.

Joe

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I've fostered anything unreasonable- rain fade is hardly an issue- I live outside of Houston and even during Hurricane Ike I only lost service for less than an hour total, and the thunderstorms that come up have only knocked my signal out for a total of about 30 minutes in the last year. Based on that I doubt the thunderstorms they would have around San Antonio would ever cause a signal loss for an extended period of time.

What type of cable run is included in the 'standard professional installation'?

Rain fade will not be a issue. Cable signal is interrupted by the same conditions; the cable companies use satellites to move their feeds from their sources.
Cable companies use relatively large dishes and they don't shut down their entire system when they're having satellite signal issues.

Thanks Joe- all things listed either have been done or are in the process.

LOS should be good, and aside from the wall fishing that may or may not be done, it should be an easy install- 2 receivers (one HD, one SD) and it is all pretty wide open. I think there might be a splitter or two on the current lines so that might be the hardest part.

Cable companies use relatively large dishes and they don't shut down their entire system when they're having satellite signal issues.

True,

They even use telephones to jump their feeds around. Every CATV system is different and I guess I was just reasoning from my few experiences. There was a time when the cable dawgs thought they had the only game in town. Their system maintenance sucked.
DTV & DISH & Primestar and even VOOM made them clean up their act. If they keep up the good work with FIOS and others they can now eat the lunch of the sat guys.

If I still had it I would now publish the picture of the brick chimney laid out in an intersection with a satellite dish still attached. The tech was back charged for failing to attach the dish to a secure part of the structure. The protection plan might have paid for the repointing after the hurricane had passed.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks Joe- all things listed either have been done or are in the process.

LOS should be good, and aside from the wall fishing that may or may not be done, it should be an easy install- 2 receivers (one HD, one SD) and it is all pretty wide open. I think there might be a splitter or two on the current lines so that might be the hardest part.

Glad to help.

Report how it goes.

Joe

What type of cable run is included in the 'standard professional installation'?
If cables must be run, it depends on the installer. Generally they will draw the line at fishing cables inside walls (unless the cable comes in through the floor). Crawlspace runs aren't too extraordinary, but running cable(s) along the outdoor siding is quite popular.

Well, installer arrived at 8:00 sharp, tested the cable currently in place and determined it was adequate, then began with the install. All went well and the job was done in about an hour and a half.

Parents are very inpressed with PQ, and the installer did a great job of mounting the dish where it isn't a prominent feature of the house exterior. Overall it sounds like an excellent job was done and the parents are actually excited because of the additional channels and great PQ for less than they were paying for 50 totally SD channels through their crappy cable system.

Thanks for your helpful replies and thanks to Directv for a great product.

One question they have is if there will be any visible cables or if their current cable tv cables will be used. I'm certain the cable that is in place is not going to be adequate, but will the installer run D* quality coax in the attic and walls where the current cables and wall plates are?

Why do you think the current cable is not adequate? In March, I switched from Comcast cable to DTV and the installer used my in-place cabling. If there are multiple receivers involved, that might be a problem. However, even there I had 4 receivers feeding off my old cable system. The installer put a SWM switch for the feed from the antenna and the output of the SWM switch now feeds all my receivers (still using the previous coax from the cable installation).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)