New Install Questions - Existing Coax, Dish1000, and Diplexers

dipdewdog

Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Alexandria, VA
Forgive me if this has been asked before; but I searched the site and Google and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I am a prospective customer, looking to switch to Dish from Cox Cable. The thought of 20+ HD channels makes my mouth water :D

Anyway, I currently rent my house, and I doubt very much that my landlord would be keen on our drilling a hole in the wall for new coax from the dish.

I guess my question is actually twofold. First of all, will the installer willingly use existing cable-company installed RG-6 coax if I am planning on connecting the ViP622 directly to the Dish1000 with no other receivers involved? I assume I would need a separator at the back of the 622 if it were installed this way.

Second question: After the installer leaves, would it be possible for me to use a diplexer to piggyback an OTA antenna signal onto the same coax connecting the Dish1000 to the 622? I can't seem to find any frequency stacking plans for the Dish1000, so I can't tell if it's compatible with a diplexer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't see why not. I install dishes all the time and I use existing wiring whenever I can, but thats just me.

Yes, one coax cable from the dish 1000 to the receiver will be fine with the DPP seperator. However you can only use one pair of diplexers to either feed an Off Air signal in from the outsidse or back feed the TV 2 output out of the house.

You did not specify in your post wether you are needing to back feed this signal so this may not even apply to your question.

jrcorado said:
However you can only use one pair of diplexers to either feed an Off Air signal in from the outsidse or back feed the TV 2 output out of the house.

You did not specify in your post wether you are needing to back feed this signal so this may not even apply to your question.

I don't need to do this right now, but may want to in the future. Just so we're clear then: I will be able to diplex an OTA antenna with the Dish1000/DPP signal on one coax, but should I want to backfeed the TV2 signal I will not be able to do that over the same coax.

it can be done, all you have to do is put the tv2 output at one of the higher channel numbers, that way the frequencys dont interfer with each other.
also, he should be able to use the existing coax as long as there are no splitters in the system anywhere

dipdewdog said:
Forgive me if this has been asked before; but I searched the site and Google and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I am a prospective customer, looking to switch to Dish from Cox Cable. The thought of 20+ HD channels makes my mouth water :D

Anyway, I currently rent my house, and I doubt very much that my landlord would be keen on our drilling a hole in the wall for new coax from the dish.

I guess my question is actually twofold. First of all, will the installer willingly use existing cable-company installed RG-6 coax if I am planning on connecting the ViP622 directly to the Dish1000 with no other receivers involved? I assume I would need a separator at the back of the 622 if it were installed this way.

Second question: After the installer leaves, would it be possible for me to use a diplexer to piggyback an OTA antenna signal onto the same coax connecting the Dish1000 to the 622? I can't seem to find any frequency stacking plans for the Dish1000, so I can't tell if it's compatible with a diplexer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes and yes......infact...tip the installer a 20 spot and he'll probably do it for you..
I would! I do stuff like this all the time.....Not for free though....

ok here is my question:

I need to know if this setup is possible. RG6 is installed in my home. I am going to get the hoemzone or 622 shortly. Can you go dish 1000 diplexed with an antenna feed over one rg6 then the antenna diplexed out near the receiver and then the dish seperator and backfeed tv2 output back up the line?

sdsumann said:
ok here is my question:

I need to know if this setup is possible. RG6 is installed in my home. I am going to get the hoemzone or 622 shortly. Can you go dish 1000 diplexed with an antenna feed over one rg6 then the antenna diplexed out near the receiver and then the dish seperator and backfeed tv2 output back up the line?

technically yes. physically probably yes at least worth a shot. your pick on TV 2 might be degraded but still try

People!

For at least TWO reasons, do NOT try to backfeed TV2 with OTA/cable.
  1. The backfeed will go all the way to the antenna - making it an ILLEGAL transmitter. If it's cable, the cable company wll be upset with you for interference/transmission.
  2. The backfeed is likely to interfere with incoming channels - although SOMETIMES you can find a 3-channel wide hole to use.

SimpleSimon said:
People!

For at least TWO reasons, do NOT try to backfeed TV2 with OTA/cable.
  1. The backfeed will go all the way to the antenna - making it an ILLEGAL transmitter. If it's cable, the cable company wll be upset with you for interference/transmission.
  2. The backfeed is likely to interfere with incoming channels - although SOMETIMES you can find a 3-channel wide hole to use.
I don't know what you're level of expertise is..But I have never heard of any such thing before....If what you say is true, then the use of diplexers to combine two signals on different frequecies should never be done....Illegal transmitter?..What are you refering to?....
I have NEVER EVER had any problems using diplexers to backfeed or to combine..
I don't mess with cable tv period.....If I have a situation where the cust is keeping cable, it usually involves the presence of a digital box...can't backfeed into that..So I just run another line..If I can't get a cable there without being in violation of specs or cuttng holes in drywall,I let the cust know it's not possible and we decide on alterantives......Easy....

dishcomm said:
I don't know what you're level of expertise is..But I have never heard of any such thing before....If what you say is true, then the use of diplexers to combine two signals on different frequecies should never be done....Illegal transmitter?..What are you refering to?....
I have NEVER EVER had any problems using diplexers to backfeed or to combine..
I don't mess with cable tv period.....If I have a situation where the cust is keeping cable, it usually involves the presence of a digital box...can't backfeed into that..So I just run another line..If I can't get a cable there without being in violation of specs or cuttng holes in drywall,I let the cust know it's not possible and we decide on alterantives......Easy....
I've got just a little expertise. ;)

It's nothing to do with the diplexers at all. I use them often, and in some imaginative ways that most people would say can't work. Of course, those "most people" have no clue what a diplexer actually does.

As I said before, the problem here is that the TV2 signal will get sent all the way to the OTA antenna, thereby making it a transmitter. There is a specific type of combiner that can be used in situations like this, however. It provides a high degree of separation between the 2 inputs.

SimpleSimon said:
I've got just a little expertise. ;)

It's nothing to do with the diplexers at all. I use them often, and in some imaginative ways that most people would say can't work. Of course, those "most people" have no clue what a diplexer actually does.

As I said before, the problem here is that the TV2 signal will get sent all the way to the OTA antenna, thereby making it a transmitter. There is a specific type of combiner that can be used in situations like this, however. It provides a high degree of separation between the 2 inputs.
Oh it may transmit..But you're talking milliwatts..A number so small it's insignificant...Besides, who cares.....Now really.....would you walk away from a job because you had di plexers instead of a couple of splitter combiners?....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)