New Install Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KoolBreeze

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
North Mississippi
I’m thinking about switching from Comcast to Direct TV and have a few questions for you guys. We built this home about 5 years ago and I put 2 RG6 & 2 Cat5 drops to everywhere I thought I might want a TV at some point. I also ran conduit down the wall cavity and stubbed/capped it on the outside in the area where I’d want to place the dish. All of the cabling is homerun to each drop from a wiring closet. I did not run any cable for the dish, but since the conduit is installed, that cable will be a breeze. Now for the questions.

What is the maximum cable length from dish to receiver? It is going to be approximately 100’ from the dish to the wiring closet. From the closet, the furthest drop is approximately 60’. So that is a total length of 160’. Is that an issue? BTW, I have a roll of Belden RG11 direct burial cable available that I could use for the dish to closet run. How much would that help? I don’t have the tools or connectors for dealing with it, but could get them if it would help.

I have 5 TVs that I want programming on. DVR capabilities are NOT a must on all of them. What is the best way to do it? I’ve been reading about the new Genie and it’s intriguing but I don’t want a bunch of headaches trying to use it. What is the maximum cable length between the clients and the switch?

All of the drops in the house are RG6 quad shield copper clad steel, is that going to be an issue? Also, I believe the RG11 I have is also copper clad steel, but I will have to check it.

How accurate is the Dishpointer Augmented Iphone App? According to it I have a clear line of sight to all of the satellites from the area I want to place the dish on its pole.

On Direct TV’s pricing. How is the extra charge per receiver working with the Genie, are they adding $6 extra per client or is that included in the advertised price? For instance, they are advertising the Choice package with the Genie and 3 clients for $35 per month. Do they then add additional 18 dollars on top of the $35 for each client I get?

What is the maximum cable length from dish to receiver? It is going to be approximately 100’ from the dish to the wiring closet.
That's a pretty long haul to get to the house. It may require some hardware that isn't common in a four TV install (an external switch).
All of the drops in the house are RG6 quad shield copper clad steel, is that going to be an issue?
The only place CCS would be an issue is the run to the dish. The rest is academic as long as the Power Inserter is properly placed.
How accurate is the Dishpointer Augmented Iphone App? According to it I have a clear line of sight to all of the satellites from the area I want to place the dish on its pole.
It is certainly good enough for determining Line-of-Sight. Just make sure there's nothing trying to grow into the area that the satellites are.
On Direct TV’s pricing. How is the extra charge per receiver working with the Genie, are they adding $6 extra per client or is that included in the advertised price? For instance, they are advertising the Choice package with the Genie and 3 clients for $35 per month. Do they then add additional 18 dollars on top of the $35 for each client I get?
If you use the tool on the DIRECTV website to create an order for new service, it will detail the various fees you'll be saddled with.

DIRECTV's bills are a little confusing because of the various taxing jurisdictions that they operate in so don't be surprised to see charges for something followed by a credit for same. You're taxed on all of the charges so even if they say something is "included", you may pay some tax on it.

What is the maximum cable length from dish to receiver? It is going to be approximately 100’ from the dish to the wiring closet. From the closet, the furthest drop is approximately 60’. So that is a total length of 160’. Is that an issue?
you will be fine. I have a 170 foot run and no issues....85-90 feet to the splitter and 75-80 feet to the room in question

The 1st receiver is included
Everything after that is $6 per receiver

You dont have to get 3 clients btw...you can go with 2 and save some money

Thanks for the help guys. There will be a total of 5 locations that I want the service in, so that's an extra $24 in additional receiver fees, plus an extra $10 for the advanced receiver service. I guess the devil is in the details.

I'm considering going with the Genie, 3 clients, and an HD DVR, which would be a total of 7 tuners.

The $10 fee is for the DVR (normally $8) and whole home ($3) so you actually save a buck over the alacarte prices

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)