New install questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sam1070

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
yakima wa
hello I have some pre install questions with direct tv I am coming over from dish I would like to know could the tech rip out all the old wire from the dish install and run new wire it rg-6 3ghz from the hopper system. 2 does direct tv offer a over the air moudoule so I can get me tv etc 3. how does direct tv out of home streaming work does it require a separate box to make it work or is it all integrated into the box it self 4. Does the direct tv offer a box to get internet to the genie like the hopper Internet connector for those who do not have a capibilty to get either Ethernet or wifi to where the genie going to be installed if so do I just plug it into Ethernet like I do with my current hopper Internet connector.

1) The tech will run new cable, if needed.
2) DirecTv just stopped supporting their over the air module. You may still be able to get one, but they won't support it.
3) Don't know - I think it is not as good as the DISH Anywhere setup, especially with the built-in sling in two of the Hoppers now.
4) Yes, there is an internet connection kit, or you can simply use the built-in wifi capability of the HR-44 Genie (I believe HR-54 Genie also has this built-in).
Hope that helps!

1. The tech is only required to run new cable if necessary, and they are not required or technically allowed to remove any of your dish wires or odu. However a generous tip can and probably will influence this, but it is deffinently between you and the local installer.

2. The am21 is discontinued, directv will no longer sell it to you or install it for you. You can buy one from a retailer online, but setup is on you or 3rd party.

3. The geniego is also a suspended product, so officially right now there is no way for a customer to do out of home streaming from the dvr, but many channels do offer online streams. This functionality is intended to be built into current generation genies and will be implemented in a future software update.

4. Depending on your situation maybe maybe not. We cannot install a wireless broadband deca on a system with a genie that supports the internal wireless. So if you have wifi where the main genie will be installed no problems, but otherwise we will need to run a coax to your router and install a wired broadband deca.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edit.. after googling what a HIC is, I believe this is exactly the same thing as our wired broadband deca. So you should be fine. The only difference I can see is a HIC has a built in pass through where as we would use a 2way.

You can detect the wifi but at best it one bar on the lowest floor in the media room there are ether present but there currently wired to the Xbox 1 ps4 and rokuthere no spare wires availed I can run a new drop however I will need to upgrade my current switch to Sopport more ports. Do they plan on realizing an updated over the air moudoule so I can he me -tv is there a hard wire deca I can install in the network hub upstairs where all the various network cabling etc run to there is existing cox from the dish super Joey that installed in that room how much USA wired deca and is there a way to get it free or at reduced cost I was told by the tech that I would be getting the he-54 is there a later model then the he-54

Post a picture of how your HIC is installed and I can better answer that, as for the off air, I doubt it, again if you already have off air now, and just buy the am21 yourself they are simple to setup, we can help you with that hear, pictures of how all of your existing setup works would be great

It goes through something like this wall outlet - hic- splitter to super Joey and moca network - Ethanernet cable to the network switch and then the moca network is Bridged to the hopper Which redistribute the signal to the rest of the clients

Hr54 is the latest, and a broadband deca will be installed free of charge. It should just replace your HIC and use all existing wiring. The only difference is we will need to move all feed lines to one splitter as opposed to dish's nodes and taps integrators and splitters.

It goes through something like this wall outlet - hic- splitter to super Joey and moca network - Ethanernet cable to the network switch and then the moca network is Bridged to the hopper Which redistribute the signal to the rest of the clients
Based on that I am 99% sure we can reuse all that, just need to put our splitters in place with a bbdeca

Another quick questions while I was signing up for service at Costco I saw they had a cinimia connection kit what is that ? Is it the same thing as a wired deca or is to different

Another quick questions while I was signing up for service at Costco I saw they had a cinimia connection kit what is that ? Is it the same thing as a wired deca or is to different
A cinema connection kit is a fancy name for a wireless broadband deca which is only used in our older model dvrs under certain circumstances. They offer no additional functionality to a wired broadband deca which I believe will replace your HIC. Btw be warned that on demand and internet enabled features will take 24 hrs to load, so your install Tech won't be able to demonstrate much of that

Also be warned of costco, they may have great incentives, but they are paid to make a sale, I have seen sams club guys lie right to potential customers faces. So I would ask any questions here, we won't steer you wrong, how many tvs did you order?

I ordered 4 they have me a quote o 80 ish a month four four tvs with there he-54 systems

Last edited:
No but they did tell me that I can replicate if I want to like my current system I can add tuners to the genie with there two genie system

So a total of 10 tuners which if I recall the direct tv system can really Sopport that many tunes on a line and will the tech clean up the lines when he tuning and swapping out there a bunch of old lines for older dish install systems

as of right now, you cannot have 2 genies on the same account. no way around this, the D* system simply will NOT allow it no matter who you talk to. the standard installation currently only supports 8 tuners with the SWM 3 or SWM 5 LNB, but for a genie +3 mini's that's not currently a problem.

if you currently have dish network, the cable they used was probably Copper Clad Steel coax (CCS) where as D* requirements are such you should use Solid Copper Core (SCC) from the LNB to the power inserter. so you want to make sure the appropriate cables between those two points are replaced. and while we're currently having that discussion in another thread weather that is REALLY necessary, its D* standard to have SCC, so make the installer earn his pay.

as far as anything extra you have on the house, that's really up to the installer. the coax and old satellite dishes are considered part of the property after its installed so its not technically his responsibility, but a tip for cleaning it up or removing it would probably go a long way.

internet wise you have two options: the HR54 does have an internal wifi antenna so you can connect wirelessly. however most computer nerds will always say go hard wired just because its a more robust connection, and it means your wireless router is less congested (or you can get one of those crazy 1Gb wireless AC routers lol.)

It looks like based on taking to direct tv tech Sopport the he-54 has an included over the attena is that true and is it enabled ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 149
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts