New install Saturday

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fredcombs

Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Tennessee
Hello all, couple of questions regarding my install. I had Comcast and currently have Rg6 cable entering the house in the attic, it all connects to a junction in the attic and then splits off to every room. I have already fished everything through the walls that I want. I have heard horror stories that the installer will not go into the attic without an extra charge, is this true? I personally think it would be easier then running cable along the outside of the house. Has anyone had experience with this. I am not asking them to fish any wire through walls, just mount the dish, enter the dish feed through the attic and use all existing lines that are there

Fred,
Here is the deal. the cable in the attic was installed to acomodate a roof antenna. But all is not lost. Your Directv installation will be controlled by what is called "home run" wire plan. This means all cables run to a central source and then to the rooms. SO, depending the dish antenna and receivers that are required, the installer will either run additional cable from your attic to a central multiswitch near the electric meter OR, With a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) run a feed from the dish to a ground block and then to a splitter ( Directv spec).
The good news is that the interior runs in your walls will work.
If there is good access to the point where your existing cable is split...the tech should not have a problem making an EZ transformation.

So let us know how it goes.

joe

:welcome to Satelliteguys Fredcombs!

Like Joe said, depending upon the type of installation you are getting, your existing cables may well work. It's likely in fact. Come on back and let us know how it goes!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys fredcombs and good luck with install Saturday!! :)

thanks guys. another question. will the installer let me hook all the stuff up in the attic or will this piss him off. i really dont want anyone crawling around in the attic and possible falling through?

Maybe, but I doubt it. It's his responsibility to be sure everything is connected correctly. Not that you can't do it right, but he is on the hook if something goes wrong with the install somewhere down the road. Maybe you could place some plywood across the ceiling joists to make it safer for him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts