New install - some basic questions

jdk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
I have a new install planned for next week (using the forum sponsor & their satelliteguys deal). I've started searching threads and the tech.dishnetwork.com site for some answers, but with so many different dishes, switches and terms- its taking a little while to wade through it all...

I bet someone could easily answer my questions here in 2 minutes - I would definitely appreciate it.

Planned Install: 622 (HD programming + OTA HD) & 322. One HDTV + One SDTV for now - I'll think about using some sort of 2nd TV output later

Notes: I'm doing a little bit of pre-planning - thinking about where the dish might go, how the wires might run from the dish, and I'm also going to run RG6 to the TV locations before the installer gets here.

Questions:

1. What dish and switch(es) should I expect to have installed? Anything to watch out for - i.e. some shortcuts or cheaper equipment the installer might try to use?

2. Should/Could the switch be installed outdoors, in a relatively exposed location? Or is it best to install it in a protected or indoor location? How many cables would need to run to the switch?

3. To get the dual satellite tuner functionality of the 622, I think I'll only need one cable run to the location. Is this right? Will one cable run to a 322 also give me the two-TV functionality?

4. Can I (or should I) diplex the OTA signal onto the one cable running to the 622?

5. I'm assuming (from my previous days as a DirecTV customer) that I'll need to have phone lines run to the receivers. Is this still true for Dish?

Thanks for any help or answers...

Ok...here's the deal. If you're getting HD, then you should be getting a dish 1000.2, in which case you will not have an external switch. The switch is built into the LNBs. Make sure the cable you use is rated for at least 2.2GHz, 3GHz would be best. The best way to do it would be to run a single dedicated line from each room you are hooking up to one central location in your home. Doesn't really matter if it's inside or out. If you can find some, you could also run dual cable and eliminate the need for diplexers. Also you will want to run those cables somewhere near your electrical ground, so that your dish system can be grounded according to NEC code. Both the 622 and 322 receivers can be operated with a single cable from dish to receiver, and will both still have the dual-tuner capabilities. You don't HAVE to run a phone line to each receiver to allow them to work, but it will save you about $10 a month on your bill if you do.

Any other questions?

I would also expect you will get a Dish 1000.2, but you should have two lines run directly from the dish to each receiver with only a grounding block interrupting the cable. Any intermediate connections are just places for signal to be lost.

If you are going to use an OTA antenna, I would run a second line for the antenna to each TV. This line will probably come from a central location where your splitter for OTA would be located. Depending on the strength of your OTA signal you may need a pre-amp in the OTA line. All the OTA wiring is NOT included in the Dish install.

Both the OTA and satellite systems must be properly grounded, not to protect from lightening (if it gets you, you're got) but to reduce static buildup in the system that attracts lightening.

Dual tuner receivers accrue a $5 credit each for having a phone line connection. This does not show up unbless you DON'T have the phone connection, then it appears as a $5 charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)