New install today - two questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Hey - I'm switching Dish to DirecTV today, and I had a couple of questions:

1. Will the installer remove my Dish dishes from the roof if I ask (or offer to pay)?

2. Right now, the coax from the Dish dish runs into the crawl space where it's run into in-wall coax near each of my TVs. Will the DirecTV installer be able to use this existing in-wall coax, or will he have to poke holes up through the floor?

I'm getting an HR34 for the living room and one H-something for the bedroom TV.

Thanks..
Jeff

1. Will the installer remove my Dish dishes from the roof

Not likely. You may be able to get them to remove the dish from the mounting post.

2. Right now, the coax from the Dish dish runs into the crawl space where it's run into in-wall coax near each of my TVs. Will the DirecTV installer be able to use this existing in-wall coax, or will he have to poke holes up through the floor?

If it is a good quality RG-6 they may use it. Expect grumbles about how it may not work well enough, or that it's not allowed. If there is an issue down the road, the installer gets hit for the original install, so many prefer to run their own lines. Others will try it first and if it works they are happy.

Both really depend on the installer and their company's policies.
Let us know how it goes later.

1. they may remove the dish but the foot they usually leave (so no holes to patch up)
2. as noted if its good RG6 yes they'll use it

If the bedroom is a receiver (not DVR) it will probably be a h25 (the real small one)

tipping usually got me to remove old dishes rather well... I actually still do while working for comcast. A 20 and a cup of coffee should suffice. if one of them is the superdish (big bastard) maybe 25-30, or back to 20-25 if your coffee maker is a kurig :p

tipping usually got me to remove old dishes rather well... I actually still do while working for comcast. A 20 and a cup of coffee should suffice. if one of them is the superdish (big bastard) maybe 25-30, or back to 20-25 if your coffee maker is a kurig :p

Or a $20 and you can go get lunch when your done and have money left over for a 6 pack after work ...

Great install! I tipped him $50 to remove both old dishes (it's a bitter cold and windy day and my roof is really hard to get to), and they reused my existing wiring, which was awesome.

I'm really loving the HR34 so far. It's an excellent DVR - so much less clicking around than the Dish DVRs. The "Last 4" menu is really nice, as is the two-click record series feature and the sports ticker with the red button on ESPN. ESPN-U in HD is also much appreciated.

Picture quality seems noticeably better than Dish too.

They also said my Dish dish wasn't grounded to the house at all. They spent a bit of time properly grounding the DirecTV dish. I was surprised at how much larger the DirecTV dish is as well - hopefully it's more resilient to rain fade.

JeffinIndy
Welcome to the DIrectv family :)
We're here to help if you have any questions......note it does take about 24 hours for the guide to fill in the full 14 days so you may see some sluggishness tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)