New Install - What to do next ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Newbie on the OTA side, i just installed a CM 4228 in the attic of my 2 storey home , i really didnt want it outside.

It is connected to a Dish 622, and i only get 2 channels channel 31 and channel 13. both around 60 strength.

I tested the setup downstairs and received all my local channels with around 70 signal strength.

So my question is this. Do i try a pre-amp first or do i try moving the antenna.
There isnt a lot of room in the attic but i could move it back 3 or 4 feet. Could it be a deadspot ? but then do deadspots occur channel by channel ?
If im not getting any reception now is a pre-amp going to help, i thought i read a pre-amp will only help with a weak signal.

Anyway's any advice would be welcome, my primary goal was to get fox in HD and that is evading me ! :eek:

Attached is the tvfool image so you can see what im looking at.

Attachments

• Radar-Digital.png
    Radar-Digital.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 202
I havent tried moving yet, it's a little crampled so moving it is a major exercise so i thought id ask here first.
Yes RG6 and Yes aimed at the transmitters.
Thanks
What kind of roofing is on your house? My guess is you're losing too much signal thru the roof since you had plenty of signal strength inside the house on the first floor. You're not going to want to hear this, but your best bet is to move the antenna outdoors. You can try a preamp, but I bet you're still going to have some problems.

Your right it wasnt what i wanted to hear:D
It's composite shingles, but it's aimed out the gables which are stucco and wood.

I have managed to manually add fox and nbc but the signal strength is only 57, so it keeps dropping out. I think i'll try the pre-amp and then maybe look to see if there is somehwere i can hide it (4228 is pretty large) outside. Off to frye's tomorrow.

Thanks

Your right it wasnt what i wanted to hear:D
It's composite shingles, but it's aimed out the gables which are stucco and wood.

I have managed to manually add fox and nbc but the signal strength is only 57, so it keeps dropping out. I think i'll try the pre-amp and then maybe look to see if there is somehwere i can hide it (4228 is pretty large) outside. Off to frye's tomorrow.

Thanks
Stucco, you say? That is likely your problem. Stucco usually has a metal lathe nailed to the sheathing underneath. Your signal from the towers is likely being blocked by the metal lathe. An amp would likely not fix the problem.

I'd say the same thing to. For those 30 mile hops I'd also recommend outdoors to let the antenna "catch some fresh air". Putting it in the attic kills the antenna's power by about 40%. Adding amp will sometimes help but not always since they just amp the noise too.

Well it's outside, getting all the channels now, some a little low still though. But fox and PBS are coming through in the high 60's so that's good.

Will need to fine tune a little i think as just moving a couple of degrees brought CBS in but i may need to mess with something in the middle, to get a balance thanks guys.

Well it's outside, getting all the channels now, some a little low still though. But fox and PBS are coming through in the high 60's so that's good.

Will need to fine tune a little i think as just moving a couple of degrees brought CBS in but i may need to mess with something in the middle, to get a balance thanks guys.

great, gbjbany. Glad you're up & running.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts