New install will not format properly

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cburnley

Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I had an HD DVR unit installed today, connected using component cables to a Sony direct view monitor, with native mode turned on. SD content works fine. When viewing HD content, however, black bands show on the top and bottom of the screen in ALL formats, not just letterbox. In letterbox there is actually a double-wide black band, and the proportions correct in stretch mode, but not in crop of letterbox -- contrary to the way it should work. Turning off native mode makes it more weird ... sometimes the picture is the same as described above, but sometimes it will show up correct momentarily but then revert to what I described above.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this and how to correct it?

Chris

I had an HD DVR unit installed today, connected using component cables to a Sony direct view monitor, with native mode turned on. SD content works fine. When viewing HD content, however, black bands show on the top and bottom of the screen in ALL formats, not just letterbox. In letterbox there is actually a double-wide black band, and the proportions correct in stretch mode, but not in crop of letterbox -- contrary to the way it should work. Turning off native mode makes it more weird ... sometimes the picture is the same as described above, but sometimes it will show up correct momentarily but then revert to what I described above.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this and how to correct it?

Chris

Chris,
Are you sure your looking at the HD channel and that the programming your lokking at is actually in HD. Normally, if you don't have it in streach mode, your TV will fill the picture on it'
s own when an HD broadcast shows up. I find with my Sony 60" XBR, if I am on an HD channel, I cannot change anything, but if it is a non HD show, I can change the format to what ever I want to.

Jimbo

Thank you, I am sure I'm on HD. Is your XBR 4:3 or 19:9? If 4:3, does an HD signal letterbox crop or stretch?

Chris

Thank you, I am sure I'm on HD. Is your XBR 4:3 or 19:9? If 4:3, does an HD signal letterbox crop or stretch?

Chris
My XBR is 16:9 a True HD signal fills the screen.
I also have a H-10 feeding my 27" XBR (15 yrs old, rest it's soul, but looks great) and I set my D* H-10 to Standard and Full under the HDTV setting.
In the full mode, a HD picture fills the screen, if I set the box to Letterbox, of course thats what I get.

What receiver are you using and are you using a HD or SD set ?

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)