New install with DIRECT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hamel01

Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
UP of Michigan
I am going to be getting Direct installed this week to replace my Dish Network system. The local installer is bringing out 4 receivers (1 HD DVR and 3 HD receivers). My questions are as follows:
1. I only need 2 of those receivers at my house. The other 2 are for our camp which I will just put a new dish up after winter. Will removing those from my house system in a month or so affect anything?

2. If at a later date I want to add another reciever out at our camp can I just purchase one and call them up to activate it or do they insist on comming out?

3. How many receivers is too many for Direct? I know Dish was around 5-6 and then you needed a waiver.

Thanks!

Strictly speaking, moving a receiver to another location is against the Terms of Service (TOS).

Now don't tell anyone. But, if you want to add a receiver or two, you need to do it at your home.

Direct TV allows you to move receivers.
Many people take them camping or to summer homes all the time with D* knowledge
Not usually a problem as long as is for personal use.
But if when you say your camp, you mean a camp ground you own open to the public where they can see it, then that is a commercial account.
If when you say camp, you mean a summer home or your RV, then I wouldn't sweat it.

IMO what I would do is set up all 4 at your house then set up a movers account for the camp site and have D* come out and pay for the dish and install, etc.
They will move you one time a year for free (but I am not sure how long you need to be with them before they will give you the free move).

Unless you really need HD receivers at the camp, save your money and just get standards.

+ 1

The tech is instructed to activate all receivers on the work order at the same time at the service address. Hardware for an installation elsewhere is on you.
Beyond that t gets murkey. A hint would be to acquire a receiver compatible with what you will use at your service address. Decide if you really need HD out in the woods. I think, according to the terms of service, you have to turn off one account...turn on another account and pay for both....but they don't ask as long as you don't tell. Lucky nobody reads this forum!

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

Joe

Last edited:
If you take the 2 receivers to the camp and then bring them back after the weekend thats OK....but if you do leave them there the whole time then that can be considered account stacking.

We have a receiver that goes from the house to the cabin and back all the time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)