New install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Carta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Northeast PA
How many coax cables will I need from dish to receiver.. I will have HD DVR package.. I already have one coax now, from when I had D" 8 years ago..... I only want one tv to work.... Will I need another coax? I live in PA..
Thanks

Depends on the dish you get. If you are getting signed up as a new customer then you *should* be able to get a SWM, but being in PA they might not be installing them due to cold weather issues. If you get a regular dish you will need two runs.

Depends on the dish you get. If you are getting signed up as a new customer then you *should* be able to get a SWM, but being in PA they might not be installing them due to cold weather issues. If you get a regular dish you will need two runs.

====================================
I will be considered a "new cust"....I was under the impression I would need an SWM, b/c of HD....They install regardless of weather....

The reason I'm asking about an extra coax is b/c I must remove a few ceiling blocks b4 they come...

====================================
I will be considered a "new cust"....I was under the impression I would need a SWM, b/c of HD....They install regardless of weather....

The reason I'm asking about an extra coax is b/c I must remove a few ceiling blocks b4 they come...

You are thinking slimline. Slimline is the dish type, SWM means single-wire multiswitch and refers to the type of LNB (the thing on the end that the cable connects to). You have to have a slimline dish to get HD, but you can get a standard LNB that is non-swm with that dish. SWM has been standard for new customers, but there is a problem with a certain brand of SWM LNBs that are locking up in below 0F temps. They might not be installing them again yet.

You are thinking slimline. Slimline is the dish type, SWM means single-wire multiswitch and refers to the type of LNB (the thing on the end that the cable connects to). You have to have a slimline dish to get HD, but you can get a standard LNB that is non-swm with that dish. SWM has been standard for new customers, but there is a problem with a certain brand of SWM LNBs that are locking up in below 0F temps. They might not be installing them again yet.

============================
My bad...I thought SWM and slimline were the same.. Thanks 4 cluing me in.....

The current word is, no 5LNB SWM dishes are being installed. Because of this, you will have to have a second cable run. Due to the age of the existing wire and (hopefully) the installers desire not to get a TC, he will remove the existing cable and replace it, providing you with two new runs. Finally, depending on how our cables are run, he may run al four calbles from the LNB to a point in your home, tyerminate two and run the other two to your DVR. Not much more work at install time and makes life much easier if the other outputs are needed at a future date.

I'm gonna jump in with a question on this. If I have a standard 5 LNB that is not SWM, and I am having 6 rooms installed next Friday. Currently my house has 6 rooms run for cable, which was done when the house was built. Now I got an HD DVR for my main family room. Will they need to run a new wire to my family room or can they run the 2 from the dish into a switch that connects to the cable line going to the family room?

You will get a switch, the dish only has 4 outputs. Do all of the rooms' cables run to a central location? They'll put the switch most likely at the location where the cable TV would enter the house. If the runs have splitters in the house, then none of the existing runs can be used and new runs will be installed.

Note that a non SWM dish (with 4 outputs) need all four lines run to a multiswitch or the SWM8 module if more than 4 tuners will be connected.

For the DVR they'll need to run an additional cable, unless you get a SWM (not likely).

Sorry for the confusion. But would they need to run 7 lines from the satellite to the Multiswitch (The central point on the side of the house) and then the 6 lines that are part of the existing wiring are sufficient to supply the 6 boxes? Or would they need to actually run that 7th line through the house and to the family room and ultimately into the DVR?

Sorry for the confusion. But would they need to run 7 lines from the satellite to the Multiswitch (The central point on the side of the house) and then the 6 lines that are part of the existing wiring are sufficient to supply the 6 boxes? Or would they need to actually run that 7th line through the house and to the family room and ultimately into the DVR?

You'll have 4 lines from the dish to the switch, and then a 'home run' from the switch to each tuner..meaning one line from the switch to each non-DVR, and two runs all the way from the switch to each DVR, no splitters allowed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts