New Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sceavis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2005
Hi I was looking for help on doing a self install. What I would like to do is set up dish network on my TV to receive only HD channels and the Voom channels. I was wondering what is the list of equipment I would need to do this. I was planning on getting an 811 off of eBay. I know I need 2 dishes but not sure which one's will work other then the dishes what do I need? The second part I live about 30 miles from my OTA towers in area with allot of tall trees. What should I use for an OTA antenna? Thanks for your time!

You don't mention where you're at, but as a first approximation, you'll probably need a Dish500 (e.g., for 110 & 119), and a Dish500 w/ I adapter or Dish300 for the 61.5 look. If you're putting this all together yourself, then also get DishPro LNBs for both dishes.

For the OTA antenna, you should go to antennaweb.org to help you choose an antenna type/range. Depending upon how close those trees are, you might need a bigger, more focused (directional) antenna. At this point in time, most HD OTA signals are UHF, so you could limit yourself to (just) a UHF yagi or array. There is no one "good" answer for the OTA antenna. Every location is different, so requires some very localized judgment for optimal reception. You may find yourself needing to experiment a little both with the type/range and the alignment (pointing). Your goal is to maximize the main signal while minimizing the multipath (echo/reflection) signals. Besides antennaweb, you might want to take a look at these links:

HD antenna guide/review
modifying CM3022
Basic antenna installation info

If you are just wanting to hook up the 1 811 receiver, when you get the dish500, get a DishProPlus lnb, and for the second dish just make sure it is dish pro...
the proplus lnb has an input on it that won't require that you buy another switch box.

Thanks for the help i just bout a 811 for $108.00 on ebay. Now i am looking for the dishpro dishes other then ebay is there anyplace to got a good deal on them?What should i be looking to spend for the 2 dishes?

I have been looking for a web site that will tell me where to point the dish when i install them? I know there will be a menu to do this when I get my receiver. I was hoping to scope things out before i get it. Is there any websites that tell me this information?

What is your zip code?

You're going to need a compass (best with azimuth #'s), and an inclometer wouldn't hurt.

Definately go with a DPP LNB. It's the most cost effective way.
For the 61.5 pointed dish, I'd go w/ a DP Dual.

My zip is 01463. I want to thank everybody with there help. I could of done the project cheaper just going with dish's current deal. I wanted to get my hands dirty and learn something new on how to install a system and using the right equpt.Thanks again.

I did not know about the receivers that were not legal?Is there anyway to tell I hope I did not throw my money out the window!

The best way is to ask the seller for the receiver and smartcard numbers (also known as R00 and S00 numbers) and give Dish a call to verify if that receiver has any outstanding balance or is a leased piece of equipment

If i was going to go with dish pro lnb's what switch would I need to use. I know some say use the pro plus but I can get 2 dish pros for 27.00 which is cheaper then if i bought the pro and pro plus!Keep in mind that I am only feeding 1 tv with a 811.Thanks for the help!

A DPPlus Twin plus a DP Single or Dual is ALL you would need.

If you go with a DP Twin & DP Single/Dual, you would need to add a DP21 to combine them.

Thanks for the info I found out the 811 I got thank god i did not sent payment yet was a lease so i am back to square one I got the roo number and ran a check and found out. I think I may take a hit on the feedback but better to find out now then later no loss of cash !Thanks to everybody who has responded I am learning allot!Is there anything else i should look for when buying a 811 on ebay?

No need to take a hit on the feedback. Simply inform eBay and the seller that the seller was trying to sell a leased unit, which is basically stolen property and that it HAS to be returned to E*.

just lease it

Here's your best bet.
(unless you want to OWN your 811, which is going to be obsolete, eventually)
Call and set up an account through Dish Network so you get everything for free. When the technician shows up, ask him to just leave everything for you and you'll do the install yourself. I HONESTLY doubt he'll mind making money for merely driving to your house. Tell him you want(and he shouldn't argue if he's doing no work):
1 - 811
2 - dishes (whatever combo he say's will work with what you need)
2 - masts AND poles (to make sure you're covered) (some quikrete too)
2 or 3 - pitch patch kits
12 - lag bolts
1 - DPP LNB
1 - DP Dual
1 - Dual Ground Block
4 - rubber grommets (9 if you wanna do the LNB too)
100ft - Dual RG-6 w/ tracer wire
150ft - Single RG-6 (approximate the wire for your house)
Some dual AND single flex clips
Tube of silicone (if he uses small tubes. DNSC tech's seem to)
Some fitting's wouldn't hurt, depending on the crimper's you have and the style of fitting's he has.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting.

just saw that ALL you wanted were the HD & Voom HD channels.
In that case, if you go with E*'s current promo, you have to have at least AT60, which'll run you an extra $**.** a month(I can't keep up w/ their prices anymore). So..... Keep in mind that everthing's going to upgrade to the 411 also. Depending on how long it takes, it might be cheaper for you to go with the lease. I'm sure someone else on here can give you some more insight into the upgrade time and cost differences over time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)