New Install -

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tampa Satman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Texas
Im about to embark on the process to call D* to start the install process of the equipment in our recently purchased house.

In the previous home we had two SWIM-Two DECA units running to a total of 13 receivers, a gigabit router was needed to tie the two DECA units together - we found that out the hard way. The throughput could not keep up on the 100 switch that was connecting the two DECA units.

Im giving some background since we last installed seven years ago.

We have a two year old GENIE DVR along with several HD-DVR and the remainder HD receivers.

The wiring to all the receivers is about to start, should we consider cat5 and RG-6 to each receiver or just RG-6?

Several of the TV's will be able to new and have 4K capabilities, when do I ask for the 4K receiver? At the call for re-establishing service or when the tech is at the house?

What has changed with the SWIM units if anything over the past seven years?

We had 4 cables from the LNB running to a 1X2 splitter to the SWIM setup to splitters to the receivers.

Any help will be helpful, the cable is going to start to drop this weekend.

We are not under contract when we come out of the moving process for upgrades. Should we upgrade the GENIE to 4K? Pros and cons of this?

We will be upgrading the majority of the monitors to 4K, but not all need to be capable of the 4k signal.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's a bit tough to follow, how many TVs are you running? I would begin by identifying if there is a way to get your setup on to one SWM-16 and eliminate trying to balance the second one. The main improvement over recent years is the performance of the clients has improved (way better than back when it started with the C31 and HR34). Perhaps it is time to move some of the older H or HR boxes to clients, or if purchasing new TVs, possibly RVU (which is also significantly improved in 2016 sets and newer).

If you upgrade one TV to 4K you will have the Genie replaced with the HR54, and there is still only one Genie on account.

This will be a difficult order and a difficult install, particularly if you stay with the split-dual SWM16s that some installers may be unfamiliar with. Lastly on the question of RG6 vs. Cat5 & RG6, nearly everything is moving to over coax on the TV side, and wireless on the internet side. I personally wouldn't run cat5 to every room, but to each their own.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the explanation on the setup. Yes it is complicated and alot going on.

Each receiver has a TV, there will be 13. Instead of thinking of what equipment we currently have, I will defer to the forum for what we should have!

Thanks for the advice on the HR54!

In the past there have been multiple DVR's scattered throughout which made it complicated to control what was recording to a specific DVR. Is the standard now to use the GENIE as the repository for all content and have the receivers pull up the content? I could see some pluses for having another DVR in the system for when the GENIE DVR would become full of disk space.

There likely will be a couple other 4K TV's, with RVU setup does all the content stream over the RG-6? Will a DECA need to be installed at the headend of the house?

Is there now a 16 port SWIM unit? Or is it split out with 4 or 8 port splitters?
Is there a technical download like a PDF for the install?

Thanks to all for a such a great forum!

for 4k, well your out of luck
an hr54 can do 1 4k feed at a time, and max 3 tvs at a time
1 genie per account

the new hs17 can do 2 4k at a time, and max 7 tvs active at a time
1 per account, and no other dvr or receiver

if your thinking of rvu and receiver on each tv, then that would double your fees
$7 per rvu, and $7 per receiver.

Thank you MDRAM!
The HS17 maxes out for 7 tvs to stream to -correct? Or there can only be seven TV's in the entire system? What if a TV has its own receiver in the system lets say a simple HD box then the system can accommodate additional receivers?
I read the pdf on the HS-17 and just look for clarity on the wording.

Im thinking more and more that the RVU may not be the way to initially, possibly purchase a tv with the technology and determine in the future if its a stepping point. I was reading up on the technology and its not overwhelmingly thrilling.

hs17 has 7 tuners. so 7 tvs active at a time
and i think 13 or 14 can be connected, just not in use

you cant put any receivers or dvrs in the same system as an hs17

there are no receivers that can do 4k, only the c61k client or rvu

how many tuners do you think you will need?

We will be using 13 tuners/TVs. I am going to be running the cable today to all of them. 7 TV/tuners are on a media wall/Sunday Ticket, then the rest are scattered about in bedrooms-patio-game room. So sounds like the HS17 will not be solution. In the past all TVS/tuners have been in the same wiring configuration. Using two SWIMS and two DECAS into a gigabit router.

remember a dvr has 2 tuners and a genie has 5
so h ow many dvrs did you want?

remember a dvr has 2 tuners and a genie has 5
so h ow many dvrs did you want?
Yes we have taken the number into account of tuners in DVRs and the GENIE. I like the switch you pointed out... like the new stuff to accommodate these type of installs instead of cobbling a system together with splitters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)