New Install

dstrouth

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Can anyone tell me what comes with a Professional Install. I set my sister up with a club dish certificate. I was curious what she should get with the professional install.

The lady on the phone said something like if the dish had to be more than 5 feet from the house it would cost an extra 59.00 or more.... Can anyone clarify what comes with it... How much RG6, etc...

Thanks!

ds

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but at my company a Free Professional installation includes up to 200' of cable/receiver. Pole Mount with trenching up to 50'. 1 Outside penetration / receiver which some interpret as a Wall plate, others say this is into the crawl space. We prefer to use wall plates as they look more professional. Per DNS regulations, Subs and DNS internal techs are not allowed to charge for anything aside from trenching greater then 50'.

I'm not going to get into a discussion of what is actually charged, because it's a no win battle with installers. Some feel they should be allowed to charge extra for extra work, others say no. I don't allow my techs to charge customers anything. I don't want money to play a factor when they arrive onsite.

Is it a requirement that trenching be done?

In the location where we want to put the dish, trenching would be almost impossible... Lots of Rock... couldn't trench really easily....

So if I ordered through club dish... then it would be a dishnetwork installer.... correct? That would mean they couldn't charge for more than the 50' of trenching...

here is the back of the dish network service agreement. I hope JohnTenn takes good care of his installers. The company I slave for would get a lot more from me if they would stop the madness. Notice the part about 60 miles round trip. I'm topping that ONE WAY! I gotta find a new job.

Attachments

• dish.PDF
    459.1 KB · Views: 128
Unless proven otherwise, we are the highest paying company for subcontractors. I've yet to see a paysheet that contradicts this. Furthermore, we actually pay "trip charges" for excess mileage. Tech gets additional 20.00 to compensate the cost of fuel. Also, NLOS and customer not home we pay 10.00/ occurance. We do this so that a contractor will make every attempt to complete install. Regarding Custom Labor, if it's above and beyond the call of duty, I've been known to give 50 and 100 dollars at our weekly meeting to techs who go beyond the norm to make sure things get done. We believe in teamwork, and when possible my techs go assist other techs to make sure everybody gets done at a reasonable hour.

With that said, we are VERY strict with our QC policy. You might pass a DNS quality check, but fail ours. DNS isn't very strict except when it comes to a select list of items. We fail the QC if any item fails. We then give you 72 hours to resolve the issue before we send somebody else to fix it and charge back the original tech. We also require photo's of every install. Not just to check your work, but to protect you from the customer and properly document the installation. We've all had customers that mess with the dish and then call in and complain.

dstrouth said:
Is it a requirement that trenching be done?

In the location where we want to put the dish, trenching would be almost impossible... Lots of Rock... couldn't trench really easily....

So if I ordered through club dish... then it would be a dishnetwork installer.... correct? That would mean they couldn't charge for more than the 50' of trenching...

The installation manual states trenching is included up to 50'. Obviously, if a trench can't be done, or if it's beyond normal trenching, I don't think this would be included. However, Unless it's pure rock, I am sure the cable can be buried enough to protect it from the mower and not be a tripping hazard. We install dishes in the mountains with lots of rock and very hard ground. A good pick will get you through pretty much anything.

If there is line of sight from the house and you request the dish to be put on a pole expect to pay extra. Myself.. I don't charge for pole mounts as I prefer ground mounts, but if there is going to be some above average trenching I will tell the customer there is a charge.

The back of the service agreament posted above is the standard rule that both DNS and all subs and retailers are supposed to follow, that being said if you get a DNS tech then you can pretty much get just about what ever you want done within reason some times and most of the time without any reason becuase they ( management ) will tell the tech to do it free anyways. The lady on the phone gave you a line of total bull, I have placed the dish as far out as 500ft, trenched 250 ft of cable, done attic crawls, crawlspaces, wall fishes, custom runs, 16 back feeds, and all at no charge becuase dish rarely charges for anything anymore thats out of scope from the standard install. If you do get charged it will most likely be for equipment thats not part of the regular install, if there are charges for labour then your sis is most likely being installed by a sub or a dealer and as long as its within acceptable limits then I dont see a problem as subs and dealers get paid diferently than those of us who work for dish directly.

Pole mount $59

Line trench $1 = foot after the first 50 feet are free

Wall fish $39 - $59 per fish,

Attic work / Crawl space work $59 an hour, one hour minnimum.

chadzx11 said:
here is the back of the dish network service agreement. I hope JohnTenn takes good care of his installers. The company I slave for would get a lot more from me if they would stop the madness. Notice the part about 60 miles round trip. I'm topping that ONE WAY! I gotta find a new job.

How odd...the DNSC service agreements we use here in Ohio don't state the 60 mile roundtrip. :mad: Like yourself, I've traveled many times OVER 60 miles just to get to the house in question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)