New installation question..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I have few questions regarding the install.

Tech came out today and performed the installation of 2 slim line dishes ( for Extra choice with HD and international) on the roof. Hooked them up and performed a signal search.. Oh Oh. I can receive about 95% of all channels.. only about 20% of all HD channels.

The receiver displayed “ Searching for satellite signal … (771).”

I was told that by tech that he would need to come back tomorrow to reposition the dish and remount to higher area on the roof.

This raised couple of questions for me:
Why would tech mount the dishes on with screws without checking to see if the position he has chosen can receive all the signals?

If the dish is moved to a different location on the roof, do I need to concern about possible rain leak? Since 4 screws will be removed from the roof and repositioned.

Is it really necessary to install two dishes to receive both Extra choice and international channels?
To me when I looked at the dishes, both were pointing to same general location.

When I inquired about if he can install on the ground, I was told that there will be an extra cost for mounting pole of $125. Does new install cover installation of dish on ground?

I think one dish was a slimline and one was an international dish.
The pole mount would be best for these dishes. They are pigs to get up on a roof and tuning them on the roof is a chore. If they need service you gotta get on the roof (at night, in the rain, when snow and ice are on the roof)........they never fail on a clear spring day.

The roof hole thing is the other down side of putting them on the roof.

In a perfect world techs always hit the bird on the first try.

Poles are not part of the FREE installation and neither is digging in the cable..as many as four lined from the dish to a multiswitch.

Post back how it goes.....Where are ya?

Joe

Last edited:
Standard Professional Installation INCLUDES a pole mount if required for line of sight. If you get a rep that tells you otherwise ask them to read it off the screen to you word for word (when they look it up they will see it).

The tech's don't like doing the free pole mounts, and they will try to charge you for gas if they can get away with it. Also watch them trying to charge to run a second cable to the drv.

Not to bash all installers, but some of them are shady.

Standard Professional Installation INCLUDES a pole mount if required for line of sight. If you get a rep that tells you otherwise ask them to read it off the screen to you word for word (when they look it up they will see it).

The tech's don't like doing the free pole mounts, and they will try to charge you for gas if they can get away with it. Also watch them trying to charge to run a second cable to the drv.

You do know that techs are not paid to run a 2nd line for a DVR on install or new outlets. D* knows.

What the techs are paid for are between D* the techs & God. Just because the Techs are not paid to do something that the contract they signed says is included in a install doesn't give them a right to charge the customer.

Personally, I feel the techs are taken advantage of, but there is always someone (in this case another tech) willing to do more for less so there isn't anything that can be done.

I think one dish was a slimline and one was an international dish.
The pole mount would be best for these dishes. They are pigs to get up on a roof and tuning them on the roof is a chore. If they need service you gotta get on the roof (at night, in the rain, when snow and ice are on the roof)........they never fail on a clear spring day.

The roof hole thing is the other down side of putting them on the roof.

In a perfect world techs always hit the bird on the first try.

Poles are not part of the FREE installation and neither is digging in the cable..as many as four lined from the dish to a multiswitch.

Post back how it goes.....Where are ya?

Joe
Poles are included in the free install as is digging in the cable to a certain distance

You are right Joe. I don't have two slimlines. One is slimline and other one is an international dish.

The installer came back Saturday and moved one of dishes to higher part on the roof.
Still same. The installer replaced everything the dish, the switch and even the diplexer. I have cable from Comcast for high speed internet and basic channels. He tried with and without diplexer.

I can receive all the signals for all satellites except for 103b. He said that he has the tool to measure all signals except for 103 from the roof. Only way that he can measure the signal from 103 is by connecting to the receiver and performing signal test. He said that if he can
align at least 3 satellites, then most of time 103b should be aligned.

The installer will be come back this week, to attempt to use the pole on the ground to see if this helps. After pole install, I will have 12 patched up holes on the roof. Geee

Any suggestions as to why we can't get signal from 103b? I am in Atlanta.

I can't say anything about the pole install as I am still trying to get my new boxes for free - 10 yrs. Direct pay; HD, premiums, 1HD-DVR & 1HD Rcvr. But anyway, the local ads state that install includes 4*125 ft. cable runs.

==============

Shady? Shady as in want to be paid for their work?

Pole mounts are $75.00 and the cable dig in as much a $2.00 per foot.

You been reading too much HSP stuff.

Wallfish a the non prewired second cable begins at $60.00. One line per box!

FREE INSTALLATION!

Joe

You are right Joe. I don't have two slimlines. One is slimline and other one is an international dish.

The installer came back Saturday and moved one of dishes to higher part on the roof.
Still same. The installer replaced everything the dish, the switch and even the diplexer. I have cable from Comcast for high speed internet and basic channels. He tried with and without diplexer.

I can receive all the signals for all satellites except for 103b. He said that he has the tool to measure all signals except for 103 from the roof. Only way that he can measure the signal from 103 is by connecting to the receiver and performing signal test. He said that if he can
align at least 3 satellites, then most of time 103b should be aligned.

The installer will be come back this week, to attempt to use the pole on the ground to see if this helps. After pole install, I will have 12 patched up holes on the roof. Geee

Any suggestions as to why we can't get signal from 103b? I am in Atlanta.
============
Steve,

I would check for missing channels. I think the KA/KU system is still buggy. The meter in the receiver may not be as accurate as it has to be to read this stuff. I did an installation lasty week and got no 103b signal but all the 103 a transponders were there and all the channels were present....we checked them all on all five receivers.

I suspect that long cable runs from the dish to the receivers may effect the accuracy of the signal meters.

It is a new system being tested as it is installed and works pretty good considering what DTV is attempting to do.

Joe

If a second dish is needed for 95, depending the area, the LNBF may need to skew to its correct position before get the maximum signal. lots DTV or Dish tech didn't know anything about regular ku dish installation.

I called D* installation to report the problem I am having. Told me to check channel 480, and 481. Looks like these are test channels for 103b. I am not able to get these channels.
I am not able to get like TLCHD, TOONHD, SCIHD, 540 SHOW HD, Spike HD (one of my favorite channels, Voyager show is on) just to name a few.

As for the pole installation, I was told this is not a standard installation and I would need to get price from the installer and pay out of pocket :eek:

Asked what if I can't get HD channels with the pole on the ground. We will put you back to standard HD service. No thank you. I said no HD, no service but we will talk about this when it comes to that. One of the main reasons switching to D* and dropping E* was HD channels.

I am not going to watch non HD on 42" LCD, 1080p.

I will ask the installer about the distance from the satellite to receivers might be the issue.

If a second dish is needed for 95, depending the area, the LNBF may need to skew to its correct position before get the maximum signal. lots DTV or Dish tech didn't know anything about regular ku dish installation.

Sky,
Correct! The Ka/Ku dish was just kicked out the door. I get my technical support from the folks here and a few other sites. The system is evolving and I get different answers from different CSRs. HSP folks that know anything are not talking for territorial reasons.

Joe

**************Problem Resolved: Diplex Issue*******************

The installer called me to tell me that he just gotten thru a customer install and had the very same problem. The issue was using diplex in my configuration.

More information can be found here. It was this solution or run cable 300 ft from outside to my room

DIRECTV

Taken from link above.
"
Do not diplex (combine) an off-air signal with a Ka/Ku dish (5 LNB dish) signal since the Ka-Lo band of 250-750 MHz occupies the same frequency band as the off-air signal and will cause interference". Interference such as ext 771 searching for satellite on your new HD channels."

Thanks guys for any feedback or answers provided.

Hi the problems could be bad B Band Converter, check channels 480 and 481. It could be a bad cable. I had that problem today. It was a cable that was under a rug. RG-59 cable not RG-6 is what should be used. bad connectors. Dish not correctly tuned. A splitter in the line. Bad receiver. Call and get it fixed. With HD be sure to get the protection plan. Many things can go wrong with HD. Yes $5.95 per month is the cost. A service call is $70 Plus cost of receivers and other things. It pays to have it. I think the teck may need some more training on the ka/ku dish. You must have the same signal strengh for the 101 and the 119 satellite. Is he using a bird dog?
Good luck Larry.

What the techs are paid for are between D* the techs & God. Just because the Techs are not paid to do something that the contract they signed says is included in a install doesn't give them a right to charge the customer.

Personally, I feel the techs are taken advantage of, but there is always someone (in this case another tech) willing to do more for less so there isn't anything that can be done.

Downthe door,

Actually my experience is that the installation companies that prepare a contract are more likely to pay for the items in the "specification" section of the contract.
When you reject portions of the contract because they are illegal or expensive and not profitable you learn the rest about the company.

But what it comes to IS.......The customer has made a deal with DTV for a "Basic Installation" and the installer has contracted to deliver that for a fixed fee. Other things, outside the "Basic Installation" can be done by the customer, done by others or done by the installer.

Try to get someone from a "big box" store to come to your house for a FREE...anything.

Joe

Lol, I had a pole on my balcony from Dish Network, the installers removed the dish network dish and put the new Slimline on the pole, he brought some duct tape so the pole would be fatter when they put in the slimsline on it, I personally think a new pole installed by DTV would have been great, but this works for me, as long as my dish stays in place in windy weathers and it doesn't fly off (LOL) I can live with that, because you can't see the duct tape at all to make the pole fatter when they put the Slimline on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)