new iO install

mbereg

Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Hello all,

Wasn't sure where to post this. (Also posted in AVS)

I have an appointment for an iO install next week. Had a couple of questions pre-install.

We had Cablevision service for a number of years until we switched to DirecTV about 5 years ago. Our cable service at the time was not so good (picture), and they installed a signal amplifier in my garage-still in there unplugged.
Should I expect (request) them to install new cables from the street to my home? If so, should they go into my garage and then pass through the numerous splitters - some in the attic- of my home? I am mostly interested in getting the best PQ into a new tv in the living room which is the side of the house opposite the garage. Should a new line be installed directly to that side of the house first?

From reading these posts, I believe that LI iO subscribers are using the SA8300HD DVR is that correct? It seems like this is capable of additional storage with an external SATA drive which sounds great. (Upgraded my TIVO hard drives the first month we got them).

Will the installer bring HDMI cables (extra charge?) or should I be prepared to have my own available?

Any other "gotchas" I should be prepared for?

Thanks!
:)

Yes it is an 8300 DVR. They will give you component cables for free. You'll need to supply your own HDMI, or I believe you can buy them at the walk in.

As for your cabling, the best way to a good picture, is to use 1 splitter if possible. if you use multiple splitters, your signal gets more degraded, the further down the line you go. I am a fan of doing a "homerun" if possible. Ideally all your cables should run from the TVs to a single point where the service drop is then split.

As for the amplifier, have the tech attach his meter to each line. He should have a meter, if he doesn't, demand that someone shows up with one before you let him leave. If the meter shows low signal, he'll install the amplifier. Installing the amp also amplifies the noise on the line, so don't use it unless you need to.

The tech will check out your outside service drop before he begins the install, usually they just need a new fitting at the end.

If you have an attentive tech you should have no problems. Make sure he has a meter. Don't let him tell you that the box diagnostics are enough.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)