Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
The iPad Air 2 is now available for orders. And my old iPad 3 is due for an upgrade.
So, which provider should I choose? (I do want a cellular option.)

My current iPhone is with AT&T but I am not on a Mobile Share plan, so the iPad doesn't have to be with the same provider. When I bought my iPad 3 I decided to go with Verizon. For two main reasons:
1. Verizon allowed tethering and AT&T didn't at that time.
2. The Verizon version was more compatible than AT&T version: you could use the Verizon version on AT&T network, but not the other way around.

What are the considerations this time around? Has anyone researched the data plans and other factors?

The nice part about the iPad Air 2 is you can switch between providers as you want. As it includes an Apple SIM which works with all providers except Verizon. (If you want verizon you can get a Verizon sim) Now you can shop around for the best deal at the time when you want to use it.

Even Sprint?!! Nice!

Just to clarify: for Verizon do I need a different version of iPad Air 2 or just a different SIM card?
In other words, if I first go with AT&T or Sprint can I later switch to Verizon? And how about the other way around?

Just to clarify: for Verizon do I need a different version of iPad Air 2 or just a different SIM card?
In other words, if I first go with AT&T or Sprint can I later switch to Verizon? And how about the other way around?

Just a different SIM card if you want to use Verizon. If you want to switch just replace the sim card with the Apple Sim card. :)

You can switch once a month if you want.

Now, which providers offer tethering?

I just chatted with Sprint and it looks like I would need to buy two plans: one for the data on the iPad itself (100MB for $10/month or 1GB for $15/month) and also a Hotspot plan for tethering (another 1GB for $10). Those gigabytes are counted separately: 1GB exclusively for tethering.

With Verizon I currently have a 2GB data plan at $30/month, which allows tethering.

Ok, I've just placed my order at apple.com and there was no question about the provider at all!
So, this confirms that it is a single SKU regardless of the provider.

Ok, I've just placed my order at apple.com and there was no question about the provider at all!
So, this confirms that it is a single SKU regardless of the provider.

It says that if your provider is not supported with the Apple SIM you can put in a nano SIM from your provider (i.e. VZ). This is a great feature if a lot of international providers sign up. You could get local data rates when traveling abroad with minimal effort!

Reactions: navychop
This is a great feature if a lot of international providers sign up. You could get local data rates when traveling abroad with minimal effort!
That worked for me in the past. I've done that with older iPads. Since most cellular providers in other countries are GSM based, switching SIM cards always worked fine. The problem was always with CDMA based providers like Sprint or Verizon. You had to use devices specifically designed to work on their networks. In the past they didn't even use SIM cards at all.

There does not appear to be a VZ specific version available to order, so I would assume they have it working with VZ but you have to sign up through VZ.

Yup! That's what I figure too. And according to Verizon, I don't have to buy the iPad from them. I can buy it anywhere and they will just give me a new SIM card should I decide to use their network at any point.

I'm looking at possibly T-Mobile for an iPad mini 3. We have Verizon for our phones.

What I like about T-Mobile data plans is that they include free unlimited music streaming (Pandora, iHeartRadio, iTunes Radio, etc.)

Would Spotify and YouTube be on that list too?
Spotify yes, YouTube no.
Here is the full list of included audio streaming services:

• Pandora
  • iHeartRadio
  • iTunes Radio
  • Rhapsody
  • Spotify
  • Slacker
  • Milk Music
  • Black Planet
  • Grooveshark
  • Songza
  • Rdio
  • Radio Paradise
  • AccuRadio

When I bought my iPad 4 a couple years ago I spent extra for the LTE model. I never ended up activating the LTE so it turned out to be a waste of money. Mobile hotspot is free with Verizon and I found that using LTE from my iPhone 5 gave me great speeds on the iPad. I always have my phone with me so I didn't see the point of paying to have a data plan exclusively for the iPad.

For me it's the other way around: I use the iPad as a Hotspot for my Laptop when traveling and cannot use the phone for that purpose (at least not with my current AT&T plan). Also, when traveling to other countries I can easily replace the SIM card in the iPad since it is not locked (unlike my iPhone which is normally locked). And I also like using iPad as a GPS navigation system on long road trips. GPS radio is only available on cellular versions, so this is another reason to get iPad with cellular even if you are not going to activate it on any network. I use TomTom software and it works without cellular, but it does require GPS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)