New IPTV service?

Most generally offer a higher cap for more money I believe. That extra money they charge is probably mostly profit for them unless they get too many doing it and needing to increase bandwidth / upgrade their system to support it. I think a lot of the money they lose on tv subscriptions can be made up on additional charges for higher data caps.

70-80 hours of streaming TV, mostly HD, will eat up a 300GB cap all by itself easily.

It shouldn't be that much. I think HD streaming uses about 2GB per hour. So 80 hours would use up about 160GB. Normal web browser probably will take up another 10GB. The rest you could use to download stuff or watch more TV!

It shouldn't be that much. I think HD streaming uses about 2GB per hour. So 80 hours would use up about 160GB. Normal web browser probably will take up another 10GB. The rest you could use to download stuff or watch more TV!

2GB an hour for HD streaming would equate to a very low bitrate. It may or may not be acceptable, depending on what you're watching. The higher the bitrate, the better the PQ, and the more bandwidth consumed. Plus, I don't know about you, but I have more than one TV. Each TV is going to require a separate box, and a separate stream. If you have kids, this will never work. Your cap will be gone in a week.

I have cable internet, but my TV service is from Directv, so that's not likely in my case.

You would be shocked on how many people think that they must have cable TV to get cable internet. I have DISH/Suddenlink Internet.

2GB an hour for HD streaming would equate to a very low bitrate. It may or may not be acceptable, depending on what you're watching. The higher the bitrate, the better the PQ, and the more bandwidth consumed. Plus, I don't know about you, but I have more than one TV. Each TV is going to require a separate box, and a separate stream. If you have kids, this will never work. Your cap will be gone in a week.

More services like this could bring forth lawsuits, or force a pass in legislation against data caps if new start ups cannot compete with the traditional providers because they have a monopoly on internet broadband. There is no way I would join this provider knowing that if I went over my cap I'd be paying $10 for every 50GB of data used just to watch TV.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)