New Joeys are made in India--not China

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
Just bought four new Joeys to replace leased ones. This way I can shut off guest bedrooms during most of the year and avoid monthly Joey fees. Noticed that two of the Joeys with the newest receiver numbers were made in India. The older two, plus all four of the leased units going back to Dish had been made in China. Scott reported from CES that regular Joeys would soon be made using a more powerful chip. Just wondering if perhaps that has already started with these new units coming from India. Any thoughts???

Bob

Just bought four new Joeys to replace leased ones. This way I can shut off guest bedrooms during most of the year and avoid monthly Joey fees. Noticed that two of the Joeys with the newest receiver numbers were made in India. The older two, plus all four of the leased units going back to Dish had been made in China. Scott reported from CES that regular Joeys would soon be made using a more powerful chip. Just wondering if perhaps that has already started with these new units coming from India. Any thoughts???

Bob

Can you tell a difference in speed on the new(made in India) joeys?

In case anyone on here is looking to buy new Joeys, I got the "newer" India-made version through Amazon. They are being sold by THE CONNECTION DEPOT for a price of $72 each with no tax and free shipping. They gave fast service. As of this morning, Amazon says they only had seven left.

After CES, I made the decision to stick with my 2 HWS/ 2J setup. But I did decide to swap my two Joeys for two "twice as fast" Joeys when they became available. Happy to see that they're apparently in the wild. My question is, can I even make this swap through DISH'n It Up or is this going to play out like the 622/722? At this point, I fear it's the latter: it looks doubtful that the first- and second-gen Joey are cataloged differently in DISH's system. While I understand why DISH wouldn't distinguish them, as they are functionally identical, I'm sure my fellow HWS/J users will agree that the HWS is blindingly fast compared to the first-gen Joey; if the second-gen Joey is as fast or nearly as fast as the HWS--in my book, that's a big distinction. I'd purchase, but I prefer DISH'n It Up, as that'd probably cost me squat. Thanks for your help.:)

Hmm... I'm very tempted to purchase one of those but how do I know for sure that it'll be the new one? Also, would a Joey swap affect my Hopper grandfather status?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I took a more careful look at the four new Joeys I just bought through Amazon. I bought them two at a time over the last couple weeks. It turns out that all four are the new ones, so I bet that is what the Amazon seller has. If you try to go through Dish, you will not only pay more but also be subject to receiving anything Dish happens to have on hand--even refurbs!

As far as Hopper grandfather credit, I do not think changing out Joeys will make any difference. If you were to buy Hoppers to replace lease units, then your grandfather credit would probably be shut off.

Last edited:
Hmm... I'm very tempted to purchase one of those but how do I know for sure that it'll be the new one? Also, would a Joey swap affect my Hopper grandfather status?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I have talked to Mark Schuetz the president at http://www.dishdepot.com/home.jsp on the phone when I was on the hunt for a black dot DuoNode. He checked his stock for for me. I bet he would do the same for you to find the right Joey you want.

Activated the new Joeys this afternoon. Have no had slowness issues with old Joeys, so cannot tell if new ones are faster. My old eyes and ears think the picture and sound are improved. Who knows; it could just be wishful thinking.

Last edited:
If you try to go through Dish, you will not only pay more [...]

Is this necessarily true, especially for a Plan A customer with the DISH Protection Plan? In the ten or so years that I've been with DISH, I've never paid anything for any of my DISH'n It Up receiver upgrades/swaps, save the tips that I gave the techs (yep, DISH has never even charged me the $15 technician visit fee). And as I understand it, even if you own the Joey, if you use it on a daily basis, as I would, you'd still have to pay $7 per month, isn't that right? For these reasons, I'd prefer to go through DISH if I could specifically order the second-gen Joey (I don't mind 24-month commitments; I plan to stick with DISH). Please let me know if any of my information is wrong--I'm just trying to get the best deal that I can. I'm a DISH and television fan more than I am a satellite technology and retail expert; you, and many here at SatelliteGuys, are definitely all of those things, so I defer to your superior knowledge. Thank you.

[...]but also be subject to receiving anything Dish happens to have on hand--even refurbs! [...]

I feared this. It is absolutely the case that you can't specifically upgrade to a second-gen Joey from DISH? That'd be a bummer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts