New KA/KU Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ProWire

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Tennessee
There's a rumor going around the shop that no one can confirm. I really hope it's true.

The first KA/KU's I did were down in Atlanta when they first rolled out. Those were the old square AT9 Dishes. I hated 'em. I came back home (northeast tennessee) and not only were we doing AT9's, we were also doing an 18" at 72.5 for locals. Well, the Slimlines came out and were a little easier, and recently we dropped the 72.5 as locals moved to 103, so to prep for that change, for the past year it's been all Slimlines. Doing this dish on EVERY install gets old. It's like when I used to work for E* doing Superdishes for everybody, only w/ no KU, it wasn't as precise.

The rumor is that D* is working on a smaller version KA/KU, about the size of the old triple sat, fits on the old masts, and the dish will only work for the 3LNB 99/101/103 setup. Does anybody know if this is true? I've been wanting to experiment with an old triple sat and see what kinda signal I can get on the KU bands.

nah we're already using the slimline 3's. this new dish is supposedly designed for use only with the 99/101/103. Apparently without the 110 and 119, you don't need all that surface area on the AU9 to reflect the signal.

nah we're already using the slimline 3's. this new dish is supposedly designed for use only with the 99/101/103. Apparently without the 110 and 119, you don't need all that surface area on the AU9 to reflect the signal.

There is a thread on DBSTalk where someone experimented with a 19 in. dish and Slimline LNB. I recall that it worked, but rain fade would probably be an issue. A Phase III dish with a SL3 LNB would be nice. Then there are the people who have been running tests with 1.2 meter and even larger dishes to get more rain fade margin.

I believe the Slimline dish's reflector size is set by 99/103 Ka band gain requirements, not by the need to pick up 110 and 119. Otherwise, a Phase III size dish would have been developed for Ka.

LNB heads that work well when mounted to a phase 3 dish, this is for 99-101-103 HD operation.

Slimline 3 LNB head with receiver set to slimline 3. "Best all around operation"

WNC AU9 5 LNB (white caps) with receiver set to slimline 3. "Very good operation"

Eagle Aspen (clear covers) 5 LNB with receiver set to slimline 3. "Works good harder to mount LNB head"

Use slimline setup numbers to do course alignment of 101 signal, use 99(c/a/b) & 103(c/a/b) meter readings to fine tune and balance Ka band HD operation, "signal numbers will range from the low 70s to the mid 90s for 99-101-103".

Note: Tilt adjustment is used to balance 99 & 103. Azimuth and Elevation adjustments can be touchy for Ka bands.

Use the normal screws/nuts in the pre drilled holes of the arm and LNB assembly, this alignment occurs when the LNB is inserted about half way.

Note: The highest Ka signal numbers so far is when the LNB is fully inserted and flush in the arm tube, If needed secure with small self tapping screws just behind the predrilled holes on the bottom of the arm tube "away from the LNB".

1/4 inch hex head 1/4 inch long self taping screws work best, this lands the screw in a safe place

also drilling new holes in the tube arm at the correct place and using the normal hardware to secure the LNB is a great option as well.
smile.gif

The key on the bottom of the LNB must pass to the inside of the dish arm tube,this can be done with a flat blade screw driver or metal nipper to make a notch for the key to fit into.

Disclaimer : This is experimental and not supported by DirecTV.

Having said that we have many successful setups working out in the real world:)

Last edited:
sl3p3.jpg

Solid signal now sells the SL3 "Slimline 3" LNB to the public $39.95 + $9.95 shipping.

This is a tail gate rig for HD, Phase 3 dish and SL3 head.:)

Thanks Tadfad for the picture.

Yes that is an old 3LNB phase 3 dish recycled for the new service on 99-101-103 satellites Ka band service for HD.:)

Does it just slide in or does it need modification to get it to fit & aim properly? would help great with Phase III LNB replacements & not having to mount 2" masts.

Does it just slide in or does it need modification to get it to fit & aim properly? would help great with Phase III LNB replacements & not having to mount 2" masts.

Go back and start reading at post #6 for the "How to information"

There is a thread on DBSTalk where someone experimented with a 19 in. dish and Slimline LNB. I recall that it worked, but rain fade would probably be an issue. A Phase III dish with a SL3 LNB would be nice. Then there are the people who have been running tests with 1.2 meter and even larger dishes to get more rain fade margin.

i still have a phase 3 dish with the triple lnb. how would i use this with my slimline to improve?

i still have a phase 3 dish with the triple lnb. how would i use this with my slimline to improve?

It would be smaller and you would lose some rain fade margin. You would also need to figure out a way to mount the new LNB assembly on the Phase III dish. It might be preferable for some limited applications.

sl3p3.jpg

Solid signal now sells the SL3 "Slimline 3" LNB to the public $39.95 + $9.95 shipping.

This is a tail gate rig for HD, Phase 3 dish and SL3 head.:)

Thanks Tadfad for the picture.

We just got a Visit from a D* QA team and they ordered the Site Manager to immediately fire anyone caught installing one (2 guys were fired at today's meeting for it). Granted it doesn't apply to self installs, but D* could suspend your service if one is up on your property (question was asked) and if you have one up and need a tech out for service you may be denied service.

I have no idea why, seems to me that it would save D* a lot of money on upgrades and DishNet changes.. and techs time when a Basic Pole or Mount is around.

hello guys, i am having some trouble with this setup. I have a HR20 with a phase 3 dish and a WNC SL3 LNB with the 4 hookups. I have only 1 IRD i have a 1 cable from the LNB to the BBC then BBC to the IRD. My signal strength on 101 is 95-98 and the 99,103 are 0 nothing i do gets a signal. I get all the SD channels but all HD channels say searching for signal 771. In the dish setup i used the Slimline 3 option. What can i maybe do to resolve this or try to? THANKS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)