New Local Coming. Will E* have guide?

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
New OTA Local Coming. Will E* have guide?

I live outside of Gainesville, FL and as of Jan 1 we will finally have an NBC station.:luvlove: How soon after new stations launch does E* normally have guide info for them? I have a few NBC shows that I record every week on crappy AAD channels from Atlanta. I was just wondering how soon I would be able to schedule them in HD!

Will Dish be carrying this channel ? It's not automatic that they will.... Until they carry it, you won't get guide data.

Will Dish be carrying this channel ? It's not automatic that they will.... Until they carry it, you won't get guide data.

Not necessarily; they could have a guide data uplink for it. I have tons of sub-channels with guide data that Dish does not carry. As long as you subscribe to the locals package, the guide data should be there WHEN Dish uplinks that data.

Not necessarily; they could have a guide data uplink for it. I have tons of sub-channels with guide data that Dish does not carry. As long as you subscribe to the locals package, the guide data should be there WHEN Dish uplinks that data.
Can you clarify what you mean by these "sub-channels" ? If this NBC channel is a sub-channel of a channel Dish currently carries, then yeah, the data should show up (eventually ... and might take some work between Dish and the station).

PBS is a good example for me... Dish carries my local PBS station (just the (1) analog channel) and therefore, I get guide data for their digital channels that I pick up via antenna (all 5-6 of them). My local CBS has a "Weather Now" sub-channel that I also get guide data for even though Dish doesn't carry this. They carry the parent analog channel though.

I live outside of Gainesville, FL and as of Jan 1 we will finally have an NBC station.:luvlove: How soon after new stations launch does E* normally have guide info for them? I have a few NBC shows that I record every week on crappy AAD channels from Atlanta. I was just wondering how soon I would be able to schedule them in HD!

How far out of Gainesville are you. I just got the Jax, FL HD of ABC & NBC. Had 1000.4 dish put on the roof and a new 211 receiver for the bedroom. The 622 was good to go as is. Not much in HD on either channel for local stuff.

JC

How far out of Gainesville are you. I just got the Jax, FL HD of ABC & NBC. Had 1000.4 dish put on the roof and a new 211 receiver for the bedroom. The 622 was good to go as is. Not much in HD on either channel for local stuff.

JC

I'm 30 miles west of Gainesville. I don't know whether E* will be carrying the channel. I would hope they would. It's owned by the same company that owns CBS in Gainesville which E* does carry. The channel is WNBW.

Can you clarify what you mean by these "sub-channels" ? If this NBC channel is a sub-channel of a channel Dish currently carries, then yeah, the data should show up (eventually ... and might take some work between Dish and the station).

PBS is a good example for me... Dish carries my local PBS station (just the (1) analog channel) and therefore, I get guide data for their digital channels that I pick up via antenna (all 5-6 of them). My local CBS has a "Weather Now" sub-channel that I also get guide data for even though Dish doesn't carry this. They carry the parent analog channel though.

A single station's digital transmission can contain subchannels. For example, WKTV in utica carries NBS on its main channel 2.1 and CW on one of its subchannel 2.2, In Albany, channel 10.1 is ABC, 10.2 is weather plus, 10.3 is RTN. If Dish carries the main channel it will have guide information for the subchannels. E.G., channel 10 has guide info for RTN. If Dish does not carry the main channel - no guide info even if you subscribe to locals. For example, Dish does not carry my local ION station, so the guide info just reads digital service. The guide for subchannels may be right or wrong. Channel 6 in albany carried Universal Sports on 6.2, but now has the this network. - the guide is still Universal Sports.

Well, WNBW launched yesterday as planned as an OTA channel. It looks great but is pretty much unusable as far as recording content. It looks good but we never watch live tv and it would be a pain to set up manual timers for each show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)