New(?) locals in HD for Seattle

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Maybe this has been around for awhile, but I just noticed that KONG-16 and KMYQ-22 are in HD from Dish here in Seattle. What's interesting things about this is that these are not any of the big networks. KONG is a sister station to the local NBC affiliate (KING-5), but itself is not affiliated with any national anything. KMYQ is part of the MyNetworkTV and while it doesn't have any original programming, it's in HD.

I've never watched a single program on either of these stations with the exception of the Sounders FC on KONG, I find it interesting that Dish is giving us HD channels that aren't ABC, NBC, CBS, and/or Fox.

Did I just miss the announcement? Are there any other DMAs that are getting more local HD?

Still missing are KSTW (TheCW) and PBS.

Maybe this has been around for awhile, but I just noticed that KONG-16 and KMYQ-22 are in HD from Dish here in Seattle. What's interesting things about this is that these are not any of the big networks. KONG is a sister station to the local NBC affiliate (KING-5), but itself is not affiliated with any national anything. KMYQ is part of the MyNetworkTV and while it doesn't have any original programming, it's in HD.

I've never watched a single program on either of these stations with the exception of the Sounders FC on KONG, I find it interesting that Dish is giving us HD channels that aren't ABC, NBC, CBS, and/or Fox.

Did I just miss the announcement? Are there any other DMAs that are getting more local HD?

Still missing are KSTW (TheCW) and PBS.

In some of the larger markets. Usually the indies are owned by one or more of the biggies in a market and can usually sway D* and E* to add them during negotiations in order to get the larger network feed. I believe both DBS companies have to carry nearly everything in the market within a couple years or so.

KCPQ and KMYQ are both owned by Tribune Broadcasting, and share studio and broadcast facilities.

KING and KONG are both owned by Belo Corporation, and use the same studio facilities.

So, it's easy to access their signals by Dish, plus there was probably some kind of arm twisting by the major stations.

Besides, if you carry KING, you have to carry KONG.

It's probably too much to hope for, that KING and KONG would be able to get their street Dexter Avenue renamed as Skull Island Avenue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)