new member ~ DVR has bad sensor and I have stuff on DVR I want to keep..DVR expander ?s.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

drexel73

Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
KY
Our DVR has a bad sensor so we have trouble changing channels etc so DirectV has sent a new DVR. Since I wasn't home when hubby called DirecTV, he forgot there are a couple things on the DVR I want to keep (short version is there are a few tv segments we were on that I can't get copies of (already tried)). So the guys at best buy recommened the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA which we bought. My hubby is out of town and DirecTV is pounding me to return the old DVR and activate the new one so I tried to hook this expander up and I am totally lost. I can't get anything to come, like a menu to select anything. I called WD support and they haven't been any help and told me to call DirecTV. I know I am probably asking a lot and I am sorry, but is there anyone who could walk me though what to do so I can get these items off the bad DVR to this expander??? Or even if someone has other suggestions....I just want these items....I developed a rare and nearly fatal heart condition when I was pregnant and our daughter and I both survived so there were several TV segments and articles about us and I can't get them back so I want to be able to access them when she is older.
Thank you so much!!!!

:welcome to Satelliteguys drexel73!

Sorry to say you can't transfer content from the dvr to an external hard drive. I'm guessing the dvr has been deactivated. The only solution I can see is to get it reactivated and then copy the files you want to a dvd recorder or even a vcr if necessary.

Thank you for responding....the dvr is still activated (I can still watch tv just like before). I tried a dvd recorder and it wouldn't work because there was only one HDMI area (I believe on the dvr) so if you had one HDMI hooked into the DVR then you couldn't have another one to go from the DVR to the TV. I don't even think we still have a vcr so I may have to check that out as well. Any other suggestions? :)

You can connect from the dvr to the dvd recorder, then from the dvd recorder to the tv.

ok I just talked to my hubby and he said the issue was that both the dvr and the recorder only had one HDMI output so the recorder couldn't connect to the tv. He was able to get it to work with a s cable but there was no sound.

s-video only carries video, you have to connect audio cables, too.

ok I just talked to my hubby and he said the issue was that both the dvr and the recorder only had one HDMI output so the recorder couldn't connect to the tv. He was able to get it to work with a s cable but there was no sound.

Better yet, see if you can use the Component cables, if available (red/green/blue - also need a White/Red for audio) IF those are available on the dvr recorder.

Another thing to think about, if you were on TV and need copies, I would contact the channel directly and see if they can send you a copy.

DVD recorders can not record via HDMI cables, only analog. S-Video + red and white audio cables or Yellow red and white RCA cables. The recordings will be in standard definition. As mentioned above DVR to DVD recorder To TV and you have to make sure you have the proper inputs selected on the DVD recorder and the TV.

Another option (probably too late now, since you have to return the DirecTV box) would be to get a PVR.

I have the Hauppauge 1212 HD Personal Video Recorder (PVR). Basically it allows you to backup content through the RCA cables (regular yellow or the RGB - Red, Green, & Blue AND audio cables) to your computer. From there you can store it in digital format or set it up to later burn to a disc.

When I bought mine it was around $200. Right now Amazon has it for $159.99.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LX0DY/?tag=satell01-20

just to comment briefly on the dvr expander you purchased, when you do hook these up to dvrs, the internal hdd of the receiver is essentially replaced by whatever size is in the expander, it does not really "expand" or "add on" to your storage space. So if you hook this up, all of your existing recordings will not be viewable with the expander connected. But also when you record things to an expander, they are paired to the access card i believe, possibly the receiver id, maybe both, so you cannot hook an expander up to a new receiver after using it, all of the contents would be formatted. So you have to use a dvd recorder or pvr as previously posted.

Our DVR has a bad sensor so we have trouble changing channels etc so DirectV has sent a new DVR. Since I wasn't home when hubby called DirecTV, he forgot there are a couple things on the DVR I want to keep (short version is there are a few tv segments we were on that I can't get copies of (already tried)). So the guys at best buy recommened the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA which we bought. My hubby is out of town and DirecTV is pounding me to return the old DVR and activate the new one so I tried to hook this expander up and I am totally lost. I can't get anything to come, like a menu to select anything. I called WD support and they haven't been any help and told me to call DirecTV. I know I am probably asking a lot and I am sorry, but is there anyone who could walk me though what to do so I can get these items off the bad DVR to this expander??? Or even if someone has other suggestions....I just want these items....I developed a rare and nearly fatal heart condition when I was pregnant and our daughter and I both survived so there were several TV segments and articles about us and I can't get them back so I want to be able to access them when she is older.
Thank you so much!!!!

Don't mean to derail, but which DVR do you have? If it's an HDDVR, R15 or R16, you could just switch the remote to RF mode instead of IR and just keep the DVR you've got. You may need a new remote for $25 but it will fix your problem and as an added bonus you'll be able to change channels without LOS and through solid objects like walls and doors.

Don't mean to derail, but which DVR do you have? If it's an HDDVR, R15 or R16, you could just switch the remote to RF mode instead of IR and just keep the DVR you've got. You may need a new remote for $25 but it will fix your problem and as an added bonus you'll be able to change channels without LOS and through solid objects like walls and doors.

That just might be an excellent solution! BTW, new rf remotes are available on eBay for under $8!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DirecTV-RC6...076?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item23159514c4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)