New member, looking at DirectTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JoshMcMadMac

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Waynesboro, PA
Hello! I am brand new here, thinking about switching from cable. I have a bunch of questions about going with DirectTV, so thanks in advance.

1) I know with cable there is always a few dollars worth of fees for things like the FCC, making the bill more than just the package price. How much should I anticipate being tacked on to the DirectTV bill?

2) It seems like things have progressed with satellite, and only one RG6 cable is needed as a connection from the dish into the house. Am I correct on that? Does Dish Network do the same thing, or do they still require a cable for each STB be connected directly to the dish?

3) It looks like all of the current promotions are based on a two year contract. However, when I check on the conditions for the programing package it looks like any package from $29.99 and up is acceptable for the duration of the contract. So my question is: can I sign up for the Premier package (which is currently free with NFL Sunday ticket), then downgrade to the Choice Ultimate in five months? Or, say next spring I need to cut back on expenses, could I downgrade to the Choice package without any repercussions?

4) After clicking through the checkout process, the summary page has internet access at the bottom. It is a one time $25 fee; is that just to plug the CAT6 line from the wall to the STB, or does that include being connected to DirectTV? I have a spare ethernet port right where the HD-DVR will go, so do I need to shell out the $25 or can I just do it myself?

5a) One of the things I really like about DirectTV over Dish is the whole-house DVR. However, this requires HD receivers, which I would ideally need a total of three throughout the house. They are offering one free HD-DVR and one free HD receiver, but that leaves me paying $200 for two more HD receivers. Plus it sounds like another $25 for the internet connection. Being that I am a first time customer switching from cable, is it worth it to call DirectTV and "barter" for getting the additional charges at no cost? Or is the pricing pretty firm?

5b) I like that this site has a $100 rebate by going through thedishstore.net...but would I be missing out on the batering listed above?

6) I do not want a dish bolted to the side of my house. My house is 2-story, with a decent pitch to the roof; I do not know about the installer, but I would not want to be climbing all the way up there to put the dish on the roof! So, I think that leaves me with putting a post in the ground to mount the dish to. I am ok with that, but does anyone have any experience with this? Will the installer be ok with doing this? Also, I would need to have the post in the ground before the installer gets here; how can I be sure I have it installed with a proper view?

7) Is anyone using a Harmony remote with the HD-DVR? How does it work?

8) How is satellite when it comes to weather anymore? I know it used to be any decent storm would take it out...is that still the case?

9) Any other "gotchas" or things to look out for?

5a) One of the things I really like about DirectTV over Dish is the whole-house DVR. However, this requires HD receivers, which I would ideally need a total of three throughout the house. They are offering one free HD-DVR and one free HD receiver, but that leaves me paying $200 for two more HD receivers. Plus it sounds like another $25 for the internet connection. Being that I am a first time customer switching from cable, is it worth it to call DirectTV and "barter" for getting the additional charges at no cost? Or is the pricing pretty firm?
D quoted me one dvr, one HD receiver & one SD receiver, all free. I told "Carlos" that would not work for me. He upgraded my SD for another HD receiver free. Then the installer mirrored my analog TV to that receiver in another room and threw in a RF remote for that receiver. I can view a recorded program on any of my 4 tv sets.

1) Anything added would be taxes, this depends on your state. Usually just on a hardware fee, such as the leash fee for additional receivers. Maybe someone in PA can give some specifics.

6) Consider a pole mount. Much easier to brush off accumulated snow.

7) The Harmony works quite well. However, get one that has the colored buttons.

8) A well aimed dish can reduce the "rain out" events to just a few minutes.

Ill answer the questions I can.

1. Unlike cable, tax is small amount...around $2 here

7. Your Harmony remote will work fine....mine does. (Harmony One and 700)

8. Yes, you will lose signal in heavy thunderstorms for a few minutes...HD chanels will go
first. But if your signal is normally strong, the down time will be minimal. Its an
irritation, but not a deal breaker.

9. Make sure you apply for your rebates online BEFORE your installation. That will assure
you get your discount on the first bill instead of a couple months later. Also, if you
want the new HR24/H24 receivers, use a local dealer if you can. Tell them you will only
accept the 24s, and dont accept delivery if they dont bring them. But be prepared to
wait, as there is word of a shortage of these units

Good Luck!

D quoted me one dvr, one HD receiver & one SD receiver, all free. I told "Carlos" that would not work for me. He upgraded my SD for another HD receiver free. Then the installer mirrored my analog TV to that receiver in another room and threw in a RF remote for that receiver. I can view a recorded program on any of my 4 tv sets.
Cool, thanks!

6) Consider a pole mount. Much easier to brush off accumulated snow.
A quick googling educated me that a pole should be used instead of a post. Much appreciated! Is this something that the installer would do, or I should do beforehand?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/9917-pole-mount-pole-size.html

9. Make sure you apply for your rebates online BEFORE your installation. That will assure
you get your discount on the first bill instead of a couple months later. Also, if you
want the new HR24/H24 receivers, use a local dealer if you can. Tell them you will only
accept the 24s, and dont accept delivery if they dont bring them. But be prepared to
wait, as there is word of a shortage of these units

Good Luck!
If I did not get the HR24, what would be the difference? Is there a good way to find a local dealer?

I'm in PA and only pay 6% sales tax....no other fees/taxes are added to my bill like they were with Comcast.

By the way, are you in Franklin County?

Cool, thanks!

A quick googling educated me that a pole should be used instead of a post. Much appreciated! Is this something that the installer would do, or I should do beforehand?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/9917-pole-mount-pole-size.html

If I did not get the HR24, what would be the difference? Is there a good way to find a local dealer?

Just so you know ahead of time, a pole mount will cost more, about $50-75, if you don't need it for line of sight to the satellites.

I'm in PA and only pay 6% sales tax....no other fees/taxes are added to my bill like they were with Comcast.

By the way, are you in Franklin County?
Yes, I am in Franklin County. Comcast does not have additional taxes from what I remember of the bill, just a couple dollars of fees.

Just so you know ahead of time, a pole mount will cost more, about $50-75, if you don't need it for line of sight to the satellites.
Thanks! That is something I will ask about...for $50 I will probably just let them deal with it.

Hello! I am brand new here, thinking about switching from cable. I have a bunch of questions about going with DirectTV, so thanks in advance.

1) I know with cable there is always a few dollars worth of fees for things like the FCC, making the bill more than just the package price. How much should I anticipate being tacked on to the DirectTV bill?

2) It seems like things have progressed with satellite, and only one RG6 cable is needed as a connection from the dish into the house. Am I correct on that? Does Dish Network do the same thing, or do they still require a cable for each STB be connected directly to the dish?

3) It looks like all of the current promotions are based on a two year contract. However, when I check on the conditions for the programing package it looks like any package from $29.99 and up is acceptable for the duration of the contract. So my question is: can I sign up for the Premier package (which is currently free with NFL Sunday ticket), then downgrade to the Choice Ultimate in five months? Or, say next spring I need to cut back on expenses, could I downgrade to the Choice package without any repercussions?

4) After clicking through the checkout process, the summary page has internet access at the bottom. It is a one time $25 fee; is that just to plug the CAT6 line from the wall to the STB, or does that include being connected to DirectTV? I have a spare ethernet port right where the HD-DVR will go, so do I need to shell out the $25 or can I just do it myself?

5b) I like that this site has a $100 rebate by going through thedishstore.net...but would I be missing out on the batering listed above?

6) I do not want a dish bolted to the side of my house. My house is 2-story, with a decent pitch to the roof; I do not know about the installer, but I would not want to be climbing all the way up there to put the dish on the roof! So, I think that leaves me with putting a post in the ground to mount the dish to. I am ok with that, but does anyone have any experience with this? Will the installer be ok with doing this? Also, I would need to have the post in the ground before the installer gets here; how can I be sure I have it installed with a proper view?

7) Is anyone using a Harmony remote with the HD-DVR? How does it work?

8) How is satellite when it comes to weather anymore? I know it used to be any decent storm would take it out...is that still the case?

9) Any other "gotchas" or things to look out for?

A lot of gotchas\

after a year promo price, my price tripled , no lie!! tripled
69.. to 177.00 per month!!

Ignore BIG; there are no gotchas; everything is well spelled out provided you do not ignore posted, printed and/or emailed details. Its all spelled out.

A lot of gotchas\

after a year promo price, my price tripled , no lie!! tripled
69.. to 177.00 per month!!

No one here believes this for one second. Unless you added receivers and programming, the price does not triple after the first year promo. Also, Direct TV does an excellent job in letting the consumer know what the regular price, the one you pay after your first year promo, will be. All you need to do is read their website. They even have a pricing tool on their website to show you your monthly charges for your 24 month contract. Nothing regarding pricing is hidden if you know how to read.

How does mirroring work?

Mirroring ....

If you have service on one recvr and add a second recvr, there is a $5 mirror fee to have programming also on that recvr.

This is commonly known as mirror fee for owned recvrs or as addl recvr fee for leased recvrs.

It's the same fee, just different names depending on your own/leased status.

Mirroring ....

If you have service on one recvr and add a second recvr, there is a $5 mirror fee to have programming also on that recvr.

This is commonly known as mirror fee for owned recvrs or as addl recvr fee for leased recvrs.

It's the same fee, just different names depending on your own/leased status.

Well that sounds silly...why not just have a separate receiver for each TV, then? $5 per TV to share a single box, or $5 per TV to have a box for each TV. :confused:

Well that sounds silly...why not just have a separate receiver for each TV, then? $5 per TV to share a single box, or $5 per TV to have a box for each TV. :confused:

Wait a minute, you didn't say anything about sharing a box.
D* does not have any boxes that will share like Dish does, if thats what your asking about.

You asked about Mirroring, I told you how that works.
What are you sharing ?

Wait a minute, you didn't say anything about sharing a box.
D* does not have any boxes that will share like Dish does, if thats what your asking about.

You asked about Mirroring, I told you how that works.
What are you sharing ?
It sounds to me like spokybob is suggesting that they set him up with sharing a box:

It sounds to me like spokybob is suggesting that they set him up with sharing a box:

D* doesn't have a sharing box, it is possible to send the recvr signal to another TV over a Component cable or a RF extender and with a RF remote, change channels that way from the same box.

I did that for a while till I decided to just get a different box for the other room.

it is possible to send the recvr signal to another TV over a Component cable or a RF extender and with a RF remote, change channels that way from the same box.

I have a feeling this is what spokybob was referring to.....

I do this now but the signal from my HD DVR is only SD on the other tv. I have my HD DVR in the basement hooked to a RF modulator via RG6 and then use a RF remote in my 2nd floor bedroom (actually 3rd floor of house if you count the basement as 1 floor) and it works really well.

Doesn't really matter to me that it's in SD because I don't watch that tv very much so SD is better than $60 a year for an additional receiver.

if you want HD on both tv's that you are sharing a box with you will need to run the correct cables, either HDMI or component/audio, to the other location. The only thing is that both tvs will be watching the same live program, you can't watch two different live programs with the same receiver on seperate tvs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts