New Member Says Hello

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Happy Camper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Central Texas
Hello, everyone. I am a new member who has followed Barney over here from another Forum. I am a charter subscriber to DirecTV and an early adopter of the Hughes HD TiVo. We have the maximum Total Choice Premier package with Sports and HD, three satellite boxes, two D* TiVo boxes, one HD and one standard. We also have a stand alone Sony HD-200 tuner. We have a whole house video network with nine televisions (two HD), driven by a Winegard antenna and 25 db line amp, distribution and filter, and a triple LNB dish with a Terk 5x8 cascaded multiswitch. We use two dual strands of Belden RG-6 cable dropped to each room, with one more strand at hub locations to drive the modulator backfeed for the network and for multiple boxes.

We are in the Dallas, Texas local market area and we are a Nielsen family for OTA and TiVo, so our viewing habits count for a lot of families.

I am retired and so spend way too much time messing with home theater and video hobbies.

Right now I am irritated with DirecTV's compression of our HD channels and what we perceive to be a decline in D* quality, but D* is still the better option among bad choices in this market (ComCast cable and DISH available here) so we are sticking with it, reluctantly. I have followed the hysterical rumor and agitated discussion of all the things D* is supposedly going to do at any moment, but my local suppliers have no equipment or shipping schedule, no training schedule and no MPEG 4 implementation info, and we have heard nothing either about new equipment or anything else. Because we get excellent OTA HD here in our market, I could care less about D*'s rebroadcast of local channels, but we really, really want more HD, particularly TNT and ESPN 2, along with the movie channels.

Therefore, we do regard all this talk as speculation, and we figure that D* will do this like they do everything else, late and badly.

There seems to be a lot of knowledge here and I thank you guys for all the good info I have gotten from reading your posts.

I hope to be a respectful member and to contribute when I can. I am pretty good with D* systems, home theater, and my neighbor is a TI research engineer who works on DLP technology, so I occasionally get some gems from him.

Except for being a Neilsen family, we are fairly typical TV nuts with the benefit of having built a house in the last five years and so finally having it wired properly.

That's about it. Thanks for letting me participate here!

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

We're glad you're here! I am also from the Dallas area (Plano) and know what you're talking about. I'm glad to be a Directv subscriber, as Comcrap sucks as a company, and all I have is their internet and basic cable (cheaper than with internet alone). I wouldn't turn my back on Directv anytime soon, that's for sure.

What kind of home theatre do you have? I'm a bit of a hobbyist myself.

Hello, Neutron.

We have a dedicated home theater with an antique, but excellent, ISF calibrated Pioneer 65" CRT, Hughes HR10-250 HD TiVo, Rotel processing and amps, Sony DVD/SACD, Nautilus 804 and 805 speakers (a 7.2 system with adjunct, 9.2?, Energy dipoles on the sides) and dual Monitor Audio FB-210 subs.

We have a downstairs den system (5.1) with a Sony 36" direct view XBR, Sony ES processing, Sony DVD, Pinnacle in ceiling speakers with aimable tweeters (except for the center) and an Energy sub.

I have home gym and office systems also, and some other stuff floating around the house, using NHT, Energy and Monitor Audio speakers, with Sony and Integra components. My worthless adult kids hang around waiting for hand me downs, secure in the knowledge that my addiction to HT will produce good stuff.

I have temporarily lost the upgraditis fever, however, except that I want a bigger, brighter screen in the den. Because this room opens onto the golf course and is bright, we are looking at Sony LCD and JVC HD-ILA (JVC's LCoS) sets in the 50-60" range. So far I am favoring the Sony KDF-E55A20 55" set, despite a low grade jihad I presently have with Sony repair service. Set must be no more than 60" wide and viewable off axis.

Well.Howdy my friend! ;)
Yeah, as Happy has stated, I pass along info (rumors) from here to the S&V forum...Happy is my friend I have mentioned here that lives in Dallas...

Barney

Welcome to the Zoo. You should stay entertained by reading the post a few times a week, Retirement can be boring I been doing it for 5 years now. If I have never got a PC I would be down at the beach fishing .......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts