New member w/total newbie question

RenaissanceMan

Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Hi everyone-

First of all, forgive me if this is the wrong area for this post. I'm brand new to the forum and have been a Dish Network customer since January. I just bought a brand new television (Toshiba 34HF85 HD-ready) and have some issues I need clarification on...

I have a Dish Network dual tuner dvr that is connected to my living room tv and master bedroom tv. (the dvr tuner box is in the bedroom) With my new TV that's now in the living room, the picture is worse than with my old analog television, and I don't understand why. The old tv's picture (which is now in the bedroom) is still sharp and clear. On my new tv, most of the time the picture is very 'pixelated' and not sharp looking at all, unless I am watching an animated program like the Simpsons. Is this a result of the new tv being a purely 'digital' tv and now revealing limitations in the satellite's signal? I totally assumed that the picture with my new television would have been much better.

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks-

Welcome to SatelliteGuys... I take it your Dual Tuner dvr is SD... You might try getting a Calibration Dvd such as Avia or have your TV calibrated by a professional. But what you are seeing is the result of Dish (Direct does same) compressing channels to cram more channels onto each transponder of the Satellite...An HD set magnifies this... consider getting a HD dvr or Receiver to get the best PQ from your set.

It can also be as simple as the native resolution of the new TV being much higher than 480i, and therefore the TV is doing the pixellation to fill in the gaps.

thanks for the replies! well, i'm relieved to know that my tv is okay. i'd love to get into hd, but when i called dish network to ask about swapping my dishdvr 522 for an hd version, they told me that they did not have them available. they said i'd have to purchase one from a reseller. is that really the case???

Dish might be phasing them out for the 962 coming in January or later.

Right now I don't even feel comfortable buying the 942 because I'm afraid a couple of months from now I'll end up having to buy the 962 to get the new HD channels I'm sure are coming.

RenaissanceMan said:
Hi everyone-

I just bought a brand new television (Toshiba 34HF85 HD-ready) and have some issues I need clarification on...
How do you like that new TV? I've been thinking on getting one of those. Saw it for $948 last week. It sure is a heavy sucker!
Tom in TX

Sarang said:
Dish might be phasing them out for the 962 coming in January or later.

Right now I don't even feel comfortable buying the 942 because I'm afraid a couple of months from now I'll end up having to buy the 962 to get the new HD channels I'm sure are coming.

sounds like i should wait, then. but why would you need different HD hardware in order to view new HD channels? as i said, i'm a total newbie to HD...

RenaissanceMan said:
.......but why would you need different HD hardware in order to view new HD channels? as i said, i'm a total newbie to HD...

Because the new HD channels will likely be delivered in a format called MPEG4, which the current 942 does not support.

Tom in TX said:
How do you like that new TV? I've been thinking on getting one of those. Saw it for $948 last week. It sure is a heavy sucker!
Tom in TX

heavy is right! 148 lbs i think.

i really love the television. the picture is great and you can't beat the price. i paid that same price for mine. i don't know a lot about tv's, but i did do a lot of feature comparisons and researched online and this one seemed to be one of the best in its price range.

the thing that really sold me on it though, were the dimensions. my new tv had to be 'wife-approved'... (had to be able to fit into our new armoire) :D
the toshiba has its speakers on the bottom and not the sides, so it saved me some valuable real estate and allowed me to get a larger screen than i originally thought would fit. i pushed physics to fit this one and there is only 1/8" clearance on both sides! before i got it, we had been watching the same lightning-struck magnavox 27" for 10 years, so needless to say this was a pretty exciting purchase for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)