GEOSATpro New MicroHD not responding to the remote

JAS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
In the USA
Received the MicroHD yesterday. Upgraded to the latest firmware as per instructions here. Set up a couple of KU satellites and was in the process of setting up SES-2 Ku when the receiver quit responding to the remote. My digital camera shows the remote is sending signals but the receiver is not responding. Is there a fix for this or do I need to send it back

Can't edit the subject line so thr = the

Last edited:
Do you, by any chance have a "remote repeater" as part of your home entertainment setup? (those pyramid devices, or a wired LED that plugs into some type of repeating system for room to room use of your remote)

Strangely enough, I do....and at certain times of the day, "random" IR information seems to block or scramble the ability for the remote to work, even at close range. Unplugging my remote repeater (the end near the receiver) fixed the problem which does NOT happen every day. Also, (very, very, very big longshot here)...any of those "plasma" lumistorm globes or devices which may emit odd wavelengths will stop remotes with certain IR frequencies from working.

The MicroHD remote experience is not as good on the original as when you program that original into some universal models, as well..with NO knock to SatelliteAV or the receiver itself, it just doesn't have the "oomph" that others seem to. I believe you'll find a thread on this somewhere on this site....and references to some recommendations.

The link provided (in my browser it doesn't show as a link but my words, "some universal models" in this post) is to the model I use, and it works very nicely with reasonable function "assignability" for how you wish to set it up, it's a LEARNING remote in addition to a "codes-to-enter" remote. And, inexpensive at Rite-Aid, and most larger chain stores.

Was going to suggest the remote repeater thing also. If you unplug and replug the receiver is it still happening?

It's rare but I have seen this before the IR port went bad on the micro.

Sorry to say I think you will need to RMA the unit unless its a IR repeater issue.

I do have a remote repeater and turning it off makes no difference. Also, I turned off my wireless network and all other electronics. Sill no response.

I'm still using the original remote.

Thank for the subject line fix. Now if I could fix the receiver without sending it back.

Sorry about the RCU issue.

Crazy question, but have you tried another set of batteries in the RCU? Found that some are not as fresh as I would like to think... Often the IR LED flickers and can be seen with a camera, but is not adequate to trigger.

Remove the power source from the microHD for 10 -15 seconds? Maybe the processor is hung-up.

Does the RCU power button stay lighted? A jammed key can cause major communication problems?

Opening a microHD STB does not void the warranty, so maybe check that the IR sensor is up against the window and not aimed away during assembly.

Sorry about the RCU issue.

Crazy question, but have you tried another set of batteries in the RCU? Found that some are not as fresh as I would like to think... Often the IR LED flickers and can be seen with a camera, but is not adequate to trigger.

Remove the power source from the microHD for 10 -15 seconds? Maybe the processor is hung-up.

Does the RCU power button stay lighted? A jammed key can cause major communication problems?

Opening a microHD STB does not void the warranty, so maybe check that the IR sensor is up against the window and not aimed away during assembly.

Yes I replaced the batteries and disconnected unit for a hour.

I have contacted the seller and have made arrangements for an exchange. However, because of your suggestion and the warranty will not be voided, I opened the unit to check the IR sensor placement and found that behind the IR sensor the center and R/H leads are not soldered(hard to see the no solder in the picture). I do not know if they need to be soldered or not. And if they do need to be soldered something else may have burned out.

I would solder them but these old eyes and trembling hands can't do small work anymore. I did replace the battery in my 4DTV but that was like working on a tank compared to MicroHD.

Attachments

• IMGP0994.JPG
    IMGP0994.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 259
Agreed. From this angle, the leads appear to be solder-free on the top of the board. If so, certainly could be a manufacturing defect. Hard to tell with only this photo. To determine if the component is properly installed, the PCB would need to be lifted from the chassis to view the other side of the board where the receptor is mounted.

I don't recommend continued disassembly as soldering would void the warranty.

We are here to assist if you have any problems with having the unit replaced. Sorry about this problem!

I took apart my microHD.
The IR sensor solder joints looked same as yours from above.
Removing two silver screws permits the PC board to be removed.
On the bottom, the three leads were soldered reliably.
I would bet all units look this way; which is fine. :up

Thanks to all. Especially wallyhts. Due to his concern and fast response it's already on the way back . Excellent support.:cool:

I received my microHD today and I have the same problem right out of the box. :(

Did it work at all and then quit, or never work?
Either way, I'd power cycle the MicroHD by pulling the power plug out of the back for 30 seconds. I'd then try a different set of batteries in the remote.

If you have a digital camera, you can turn it on and watch the screen of it (like you are going to take a picture). Face the remote towards the camera, and push some of the buttons. You should see flashes on the camera screen if the remote is actually working.

If this all fails, you'll have to RMA the receiver.

Did it work at all and then quit, or never work?
Either way, I'd power cycle the MicroHD by pulling the power plug out of the back for 30 seconds. I'd then try a different set of batteries in the remote.

If you have a digital camera, you can turn it on and watch the screen of it (like you are going to take a picture). Face the remote towards the camera, and push some of the buttons. You should see flashes on the camera screen if the remote is actually working.

If this all fails, you'll have to RMA the receiver.

Thanks for the quick response.

Never worked. New batteries. Reboot several times.

I put the blackberry on camera mode and I could see the light signal coming from the remote. The unit boots up to a start menu displayed at 480i. Is that the original firmware or is that an update?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)