New Mpeg4 HD DVR price $499 and it's a lease!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vlad7

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
I just called Directv and they gave me that info.

IF you buy a hd dvr now, HR10-250 from directv you will pay $399 after rebate. Then when it's time to upgrade to mpeg4 we'll have to pay a $99 fee, which will bring the total to $499, that happens to be the price of a leased mpeg4 hd dvr.

So, my advice and what I'm gonna do is get a HR10-250 asap, maybe from newegg for $289.99 after rebate! and try to get the mp4g receiver for free (when becomes available) by calling the famous retention dep. :D

vlad7 said:
I just called Directv and they gave me that info.

IF you buy a hd dvr now, HR10-250 from directv you will pay $399 after rebate. Then when it's time to upgrade to mpeg4 we'll have to pay a $99 fee, which will bring the total to $499, that happens to be the price of a leased mpeg4 hd dvr.

So, my advice and what I'm gonna do is get a HR10-250 asap, maybe from newegg for $289.99 after rebate! and try to get the mp4g receiver for free (when becomes available) by calling the famous retention dep. :D

I haven't seen anything about what kind of deals will be available after the lease program starts. I am sure they will have some. Also if you are a good customer (five hearts), it looks like you might also get a good deal on an upgrade, to the new unit, when it comes out.

It might not be to wise to jump the gun now, unless owning the unit, as opposed to leasing it, is a big issue to you. really hard to tell at this point. We will have to wait till after the new MPG4 units come out and see what kind of deals D* has for them.

The operative question is when will the new MPEG4 HD DVRs be available - NO one seems to know with any certainty.

lou_do said:
I haven't seen anything about what kind of deals will be available after the lease program starts. I am sure they will have some. Also if you are a good customer (five hearts), it looks like you might also get a good deal on an upgrade, to the new unit, when it comes out.

It might not be to wise to jump the gun now, unless owning the unit, as opposed to leasing it, is a big issue to you. really hard to tell at this point. We will have to wait till after the new MPG4 units come out and see what kind of deals D* has for them.

How do I know how many hearts I have?

Ted

ncted said:
How do I know how many hearts I have?

Ted

By what I understand it is only seen by CSRs, when they bring up your account. The amount of hearts you have depends on how long you have been with D*, how much your monthly bill is and how well you pay your bill. If you look at the .pdf, on the 2006/2007 plans for D*, in Scott's message, it talks about the hearts.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=57346

I have the new MPEG HD Reciver, I would like to get the DVR once its available, but from what I think I am reading here, lease or no lease its going to cost $$$$?.

I guess I will just see how it all shakes out once the new HD-DVR comes out? Becouse I think getting the current HD-DVR would not make too much sense, since I have the new dish?

It looks like DirecTv expects their cost for the HD DVR will be around $300-375 next year, about the same cost of the SD DVR a few years ago. I'd wait for the price to drop on the HD DVR before buying it and it gives them a chance to get the bugs out of it. Prices should tumble. Its about time.

I spoke with the retention department today and the person said that the new HD DVRs are scheduled to be released June this year. He didn't know how much it would be to upgrade or purchase. Now, That doesn't mean much as I'm sure that, if somebody else calls a different retention person they may give you a completely different date or story!! :eek:

naldoron said:
The operative question is when will the new MPEG4 HD DVRs be available - NO one seems to know with any certainty.

FG:

That's the accurate info they've been given. I just expect it to run a little late.
(If you recall, the R15 was scheduled late August and arrived early October.)

Or purchase a 10-250 for $325 from ebay and dont extend yoru ocntract, this way you have more leverage with retention when that time comes.

HR10-250 Receiver

I received similar info., however the CR wouldn't comment on any "$99 fee to upgrade to the MPEG4 HD DVR ," once it comes out - he did think it would be this summer.

The problem I ran into on my attempt to buy the HR10-250 from DirecTv was that it only came with the 3 LNB dish, at least according to the CR. We'll need the 5 LNB dish to receive HD programming in our local market next month.

So, I'm thinking of just leasing the HD-20 for now, keep my old TIVO set, then move up to the MPEG4 HD DVR (with 5 LNB) this summer. Does anyone have any thoughts on this approach? :D

Ldave,
They are referring to LIL (Local into Local) HD. The national HD networks work fine with the 3 lnb dish. Their HD locals are only NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox. If you can get your locals in HD with an over the air antenna you'll get MORE local HD than DirecTV will offer from space. Your locals over OTA wil most likely look better and will definatly be more reliable.

projectorsrule,
Thanks for the info. The only problem I have with this is that I may lose the Distant Networks, come April when the LIL becomes available for the Seattle market. I live in a remote, mountainous area, and can't recieve any OTA HD broadcasts. So, I don't want to buy a HD DVR receiver now, only to find it will not work in 2 months. I love the distant networks I have right now in SD, and the ability to record shows on the east coast earlier, etc. The CR's are being very uncommitted about whether I'd be "grandfathered" in for HD distant networks, once the LIL becomes available. So, I thought I'd get the lease receiver now, get my HD distant network waivers, and hope for the best, once the new MPEG4 receiver comes out. What do you think?

Ldave said:
projectorsrule,
...and the ability to record shows on the east coast earlier, etc.

I thought getting both east and west DNS feeds went away after the latest SHVERA - no grandfathering. Or was that just for HD DNS feeds?

ramcm7,
I don't know. I still have my SD DNS feeds - which I obtained by waivers in 1998-1999. The whole issue on SHVERA and DNS HD/SD markets seems murky. I don't think anyone knows for sure how long we'll be able to keep them.

I've still got both east and west SD feeds but I'm playing hob getting the HD distant feed from anywhere. My local Fox affiliate is going to grant that waiver, but told me it is standard to flat deny them now since the new law makes it where they can't recind the waiver, even when the new lil comes online. I can't get ANYTHING OTA so as far as I'm concerned the locals are violating SHVERA by not granting the waivers.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
My contacts tell me the HR20 is delayed and should be out by November 2006.

-Robert
Color me surprised.:p

The rollout of the locals in HD is almost a waste without a DVR.:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts