New mystery receiver discussed on Satellite Nation tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not sure about the APSK types but it is DVB S2 and DOES decode 4:2:2.

This would be a good selling point if it can do H:264 4:2:2 8PSK,16 and 32 APSK....Those are the main deficiencies of the AZ I can think of at the moment.

Just found this claim by Dr Sat or pwrsurge about the AZ mini me on fleabay.
and 8PSK 4.2.2 in both MPEG2 or MPEG4 H.264 codecs.

Figured I would throw this out there as we are discussing features and future products...There is no AZ wether it be Premium,Premium Plus,Elite,Ultra,ME or Mini Me that will do 8psk H:264 4:2:2.!!..8psk mpeg2 4:2:2 is a true claim.

Last edited:
If it can be made to work well with the HDTC-2US from SiliconDust, this could finally be the modern combo FTA/OTA receiver I've been waiting for. :)

- Trip

I would believe T134 (Joe) before I would ever believe PwrSurge, Dr Sat or whoever else he is pretending to be today.

I trust Joe, But PwrSurge not so much... maybe not at all.

What does my name have anything to do with this? :confused: I believe Lone Gunman was referring to the software (i.e. pseudo) blindscan function which was added in later firmware version on the AzBox Elite and Premium (non-Plus). As we know, the only issue is that it does not detect symbol rates automatically which makes it essentially useless for feedhunting.

If a tuner does not have hardware blindscan support, it will be nearly impossible to match the performance and functionality in software, regardless of CPU power. The main reason is that during the blindscan process, the tuner demod is switched to a special mode in order to allow for a spectrum sweep to detect active transponders and automatically determine the symbol rate. With software blindscan, the best you can do is try to lock frequencies in a user defined range along with commonly used symbol rates and hope you get lucky. However, this will be a LOT slower than a receiver with hardware blindscan and any transponders using odd symbol rates not included in the predefined list will be missed.

There you go Anik, time for YOU to be our beta-tester! I just hope it doesn't take an entire year to get firmware tweaked to the point of it working 1/2 its promise at launch.

I would love to have the opportunity, because while the details released so far have been rather sketchy, this sounds very close to the type of receiver I've been hoping to see for many months now. And the fact that it runs XBMC is a HUGE plus!

I would love to have the opportunity, because while the details released so far have been rather sketchy, this sounds very close to the type of receiver I've been hoping to see for many months now. And the fact that it runs XBMC is a HUGE plus!

What have you got for a FTA system there anik?....I think you would be a perfect critic for this new box!.

This would be a good selling point if it can do H:264 4:2:2 8PSK,16 and 32 APSK....Those are the main deficiencies of the AZ I can think of at the moment.

Just found this claim by Dr Sat or pwrsurge about the AZ mini me on fleabay.
and 8PSK 4.2.2 in both MPEG2 or MPEG4 H.264 codecs.

Figured I would throw this out there as we are discussing features and future products...There is no AZ wether it be Premium,Premium Plus,Elite,Ultra,ME or Mini Me that will do 8psk H:264 4:2:2.!!..8psk mpeg2 4:2:2 is a true claim.

I don't think the description implies that all format combinations are supported but I see where one could be confused. Interestingly enough, the miniMe American Edition description on our websites at azbox.ca and azbox.us makes no such claim. Regardless, thank you for reporting this as I just put a request in for the description on that eBay listing to be revised.

It irritates me when I see companies mixing modulations with decoders. 8psk has absolutely nothing todo with codecs. If a company doesn't realize this they obv aren't educated in our hobby

UDL

What have you got for a FTA system there anik?....I think you would be a perfect critic for this new box!.

I used to have a Diamond 9000HD which worked okay (except it had this nasty tendency to reboot when you were trying to skip through commercials, and when it did that it trashed the recording you were trying to watch), but one day several months ago it bit the dust - nothing would light up on it anymore. Since then I have been wanting to get something new to replace it but better, and with the capability to save recordings to a network location so I can watch them using XBMC if I so choose. I do have a motorized C-band dish (old 10 foot Winegard), a couple* of smaller fixed dishes, and the DiSEqC switch and all that, just nothing to actually view anything from the satellites at the moment. Well, I do have an old Pansat 2500 I could hook up but since it has no HDMI output it is pretty useless to me now. And then there is my old GI analog receiver that hasn't been plugged in in months, and which I basically only used as a dish mover once I got a HDTV.

My plan is to get a VBOX and a new polarity-switched C/Ku band LNB when I get around to upgrading the system, so I can get rid of the old GI box, though I might not be able to afford to buy everything at once. I just hope everything else still works, though I can't see any reason it wouldn't.

* Actually more than a couple, not all are connected at the moment though. :D

Last edited:
www.google.com/search?q=pedantic :D Please stop the hate! Seriously!!!

Merely responding to NavyChop's comparison of the two products and Norman881's question of the Roku being a "service". Nothing more or less..... Yes, XBMC has the capability to do anything that the Roku, AppleTV or any other box, but you hit the nail on the head that it is all about the content. Without content it is just another computer.

Many of us have been developing on the Android platforms for several years and have not come up with a 100% solution that would work in the real world and overcome the issues with the current Android DVBS apps. We have held off on launching an Android DVBS/S2 STB as it would not be user friendly or stable. I also have been leary of the darkside of XBMC, but this is a great example of it providing a legit function. I am a big believer in Android and am thrilled that the capability of XBMC is solving the integration of DVBS/S2 into the Android platform. Very familiar with XBMC and the Android integrations and have had several STB samples that attempted to use it, but they have been buggy and not reliable.

I used to have a Diamond 9000HD which worked okay (except it had this nasty tendency to reboot when you were trying to skip through commercials, and when it did that it trashed the recording you were trying to watch), but one day several months ago it bit the dust - nothing would light up on it anymore. Since then I have been wanting to get something new to replace it but better, and with the capability to save recordings to a network location so I can watch them using XBMC if I so choose. I do have a motorized C-band dish (old 10 foot Winegard), a couple* of smaller fixed dishes, and the DiSEqC switch and all that, just nothing to actually view anything from the satellites at the moment. Well, I do have an old Pansat 2500 I could hook up but since it has no HDMI output it is pretty useless to me now. And then there is my old GI analog receiver that hasn't been plugged in in months, and which I basically only used as a dish mover once I got a HDTV.

My plan is to get a VBOX and a new polarity-switched C/Ku band LNB when I get around to upgrading the system, so I can get rid of the old GI box, though I might not be able to afford to buy everything at once. I just hope everything else still works, though I can't see any reason it wouldn't.

* Actually more than a couple, not all are connected at the moment though. :D
Dont blame ya at all for giving the ol GI the boot with the purchase of a Vbox.Myself I started out with a GI450i also...JMO I think you would really like an ASC1.Bugs are getting fixed fast and it is on it`s way to being crowned the best servo controller,DiseqC command positioner compatible with most FTA box`s worth having on the market.

Think I have 4 old GI`s in the barn.:D.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that this new unit will not have many bells and whistles .....
A simple: enter LNB info, enter TP info, Scan Channel, and Watch. If it ain't listed, it does not do it.

Titanium Brian is one of the few that puts it all out there....Think about it.If it were not for Titanium Brian and T134 Joe who is doing anything for this FTA hobby in NA?...cmon anik lighten up!..

Dont blame ya at all for giving the ol GI the boot with the purchase of a Vbox.Myself I started out with a GI450i also...JMO I think you would really like an ASC1.Bugs are getting fixed fast and it is on it`s way to being crowned the best servo controller,DiseqC command positioner compatible with most FTA box`s worth having on the market.

While this was all hashed and re-hashed in that other thread I mentioned above, I would agree with you that I probably would like it were it not for three things:

1. The fact that you can buy four or five VBOX units for what one of those would cost you. Since I'm not exactly rolling in cash, that's important.
  2. The fact that the only way to apply firmware updates is via the serial port and none of my current computers have one. The last computer I had with a serial port ran Windows 2000! Wjereas, the VBOX apparently does not require firmware updates.
  3. The fact that when I tried to bring up these points in the thread about this device, Mr. Titanium, who is supposed to be representing his business after all, became more rude and demeaning toward me, finally suggesting that I had no right to comment on his device because I don't currently have a working receiver. As I said then, I buy from people I like, and the corollary is also true.

Right now, I wouldn't care if it spit out gold coins every time it moved the dish, I wouldn't buy one. I'd use a hand crank first! But I didn't start this thread to talk about that device. Let's keep the discussion focused on this new receiver, since that is a topic that's not been hashed and re-hashed in another thread.

As for the GI, it was a great receiver in its time - had everything not gone to digital, I'd probably still be happily using it. I would love to see something of that quality and longevity appear in the FTA world again, although I probably wouldn't want to pay what those units used to cost when new. I wouldn't want to go back to standard definition TV, but I do miss the relative simplicity of those older units, and the ease of peaking an analog signal just by watching it on the screen!

Let's keep the discussion focused on this new receiver, since that is a topic that's not been hashed and re-hashed in another thread.

Time to follow your own advice here, your the one that took it off topic. ;)

No he deserved that and should have been banned a long time ago.

Look at his history and you will see most of his posts is picking fights. That is not what we are about here.

When his vacation is over (and its not permanent) he is welcome to come back as long as he keeps the topic on the topics and not picking fights with others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts