New preamp on the way; anybody tried it?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I'm going to try out the CM-7777HD Dual. It's on sale for $69.99, down from $89.99. It has the ability to toggle between 17 dB and 30 dB. If it works better than my TVPRAMP1Z, which is 22 dB, then I'll use the TVPRAMP1Z as a backup.

I've heard great things (particularly price/performance) for that little RCA amp.
But if you're looking for a hotter amp, check out Kitz Tech's KT-500 preamp. It has a noise figure below 1 dB and have 36 dB of gain (adjustable). The biggest problem you'll have with it is overload...

Reactions: spongella
I've heard great things (particularly price/performance) for that little RCA amp.
But if you're looking for a hotter amp, check out Kitz Tech's KT-500 preamp. It has a noise figure below 1 dB and have 36 dB of gain (adjustable). The biggest problem you'll have with it is overload...

I'll see how the Channel Master works out but keep that one in mind. Thanks.

Received the CM-7777HD dual today. Using the “high” 30dB setting. It is making a noticeable difference on a couple problematic channels. I’m happy with it.

Only thing I question is why they only provide zipties for mounting. It should have pole mounting hardware, IMO.

The CM-7777 has been available for many years, I've had one on my antenna for 14 years. All they did was combine the CM-7777 (30dB) and the CM-7778 (16dB) into a single unit (CM-7777HD) to streamline the product line. Mine has the mast mount built in, no zip ties, and the connections are underneath, protected a bit from the weather. Works great BTW.

The CM-7777 has been available for many years, I've had one on my antenna for 14 years. All they did was combine the CM-7777 (30dB) and the CM-7778 (16dB) into a single unit (CM-7777HD) to streamline the product line. Mine has the mast mount built in, no zip ties, and the connections are underneath, protected a bit from the weather. Works great BTW.

No mast mount on this model. It has slots to put zip ties through.

7E86EB01-5A9C-49A2-987D-AA350C949C4E.jpeg

I would be concerned with the zip ties holding up exposed to the sun like that. Every zip tie I have ever used outdoors eventually gets brittle and fails. I might be tempted to use mechanics wire threaded thru the holes, wrapped around the pole, and twisted together instead.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I would be concerned with the zip ties holding up exposed to the sun like that. Every zip tie I have ever used outdoors eventually gets brittle and fails. I might be tempted to use mechanics wire threaded thru the holes, wrapped around the pole, and twisted together instead.

Good idea. And yes, zip ties do deteriorate as you said. I’m surprised Channel Master chose zip ties as a mounting solution for this preamp. There are much cheaper preamps that include mounting hardware!

My antenna is in the attic and I did an inside mount for the amp. NOTE - I at first was not paying enough attention and put the inserter inline by the Receiver not realizing if you put power to the AMP the inserter is not needed. Taking it out increased the signal by about 2 or three...

I'm using the 30 DB setting and there is a noticeable difference but not a WOW difference and I was not expecting a WOW difference. WWSB Sarasota now is received just about all day where before it was more night and early morning. It sits to the west of all the Tampa stations and if I turned the antenna towards it no doubt I could get it easier. I also now get WKCF technically an Orlando Station with their tower in Cleremont. That is very much to the East of the Tampa towers so I am surprised I get it, that is a later night early morning reception. There are a couple of LP stations that I now get with much more regularity.

(Side note - one good thing about the Tampa OTA market just about all the towers are in the same place, Riverview)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
In my location, at least, I've found 30 dB to be the max useful effective gain. I tried a couple with more gain and while there was a slight improvement for borderline stations the downside was the stronger stations overpowered the TV. In effect I lost more than I gained with the higher gain pre-amps.

My Johansson amp will kik IT'S but a just frum 15to,45:dbg uhf,noise is 3.4,24votls.
vh F 10to,30:dbg, God I love my stuff!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)