New Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Louie4

Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
HR 22 with 2 TV's connected. TV 1 is on component cables. TV 2 is on HDMI cable. Only 1 TV used at a time. TV 1 gets message "Your TV does not support this programs content protection, Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view this program." This set up has worked for 2 or more years.
If I turn on TV 2, both TV's work. If I disconnect TV 2's HDMI cable, TV 1 works as before. I did a red button restart and symptoms stay the same. Any ideas welcome,

Louie

Yes, this is a result of channels starting to use HDCP (copyright) compliance testing. When TV2 is on, it passes the HDCP/HDMI compliance test and so both TV's work. When the HDMI cable to TV2 is unplugged, there is no compliance testing (only happens with HDMI, not component). When TV2 is "off", the HR22 still sees it connected and it fails the HDCP compliance test so the HR22 won't work at all.
Solution - usually getting a POWERED HDMI splitter (monoprice seems most reliabe) and connecting TV2 to the splitter makes the HR22 think TV2 is on even when it's not, and so solves the problem.

Reactions: ejb1980 and dfergie
Yes, this is a result of channels starting to use HDCP (copyright) compliance testing. When TV2 is on, it passes the HDCP/HDMI compliance test and so both TV's work. When the HDMI cable to TV2 is unplugged, there is no compliance testing (only happens with HDMI, not component). When TV2 is "off", the HR22 still sees it connected and it fails the HDCP compliance test so the HR22 won't work at all.
Solution - usually getting a POWERED HDMI splitter (monoprice seems most reliabe) and connecting TV2 to the splitter makes the HR22 think TV2 is on even when it's not, and so solves the problem.

This. It works well. Texas made it obvious, but I will re-iterate: POWERED HDMI!

This. It works well. Texas made it obvious, but I will re-iterate: POWERED HDMI!
Thanks for the fast response to both of you. Sounds like a easy fix to what i thought was major problem..THANKS

Just don't buy a cheap HDMI splitter off ebay, it's a risk because many of them don't work in this situation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)