New receiver advice

cliburn

Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
My 3rd receiver is an old 510. The old TV I had just died, so I want to upgrade it to HDTV. I have an old install, and there is only one cable running from the dish to this location. I know many of the new dish HD-DVRs require 2 cables.
Are there any HD (preferably DVR) receivers that work with only one cable run to them? Thanks.

My 3rd receiver is an old 510. The old TV I had just died, so I want to upgrade it to HDTV. I have an old install, and there is only one cable running from the dish to this location. I know many of the new dish HD-DVRs require 2 cables.
Are there any HD (preferably DVR) receivers that work with only one cable run to them? Thanks.
''

You may need DPP upgrade, thats dish pro plus with seperator LNBs for one cable operation.

A 722K is a dual tuner high def receiver. leaks here indicate the per box receiver fee can be as much as 17 bucks plus a overall 6 buck DVR fee. Plus the possiblity of additional fees if you dont keepm the phone line or ethernet connected.

this all effective feb 1st.

''

You may need DPP upgrade, thats dish pro plus with seperator LNBs for one cable operation.

A 722K is a dual tuner high def receiver. leaks here indicate the per box receiver fee can be as much as 17 bucks plus a overall 6 buck DVR fee. Plus the possiblity of additional fees if you dont keepm the phone line or ethernet connected.

this all effective feb 1st.

The first receiver on an account is included with the programming fee and there wouldn't be any additional charges for it except the $6 DVR fee or a possible fee if it isn't connected to a phone line or the internet. Additional receivers on an account after the first are subject to the additional receiver fees.

If you Lease a new VIP receiver, Either a 612 or 722, E* will install all the required DPP equipment to make it single wire DVR. Not to worry!.
From the Unconfirmed rumored price increase, You might be better off with a 612 to save a $7 per month Fee.

612 are going for around $75 installed, But a Commitment is also required.
they are 30+ Hours HD recording, I say Plus because I had about 39 on mine at one point, with still a little room left. It has no PIP,and very limited interactive features.
Its Rumored to carry a new $10 per month fee.

722k will run you around $125 to lease
It serves 2 rooms DVR 1 SD and 1 HD.
Its 55+ HD hours ,also has the most interactive games and channels over the 612. It will do PIP in Single mode, But will run you a $17 per month Fee

Both will do Video On demand with ethernet connection or wireless.
Both will do remote recording through I phone or computer.
Both can use same External Hard Drive option as well.

Last edited:
Still, a lot of negative posts about the ViP612. Not sure I could recommend it, even for such savings.

Still, a lot of negative posts about the ViP612. Not sure I could recommend it, even for such savings.
I don't recommend the VIP 612 either IMO, But if one choses a 612, rest assure if it is trouble prone it can be exchanged without a charge with protection plan.
I replaced 2 612's in 6 months time, and E* finally just sent me a 722k for no addtional charge or commitment time.
But I had to make it known I wasn't happy with the equipment.

I don't recommend the VIP 612 either IMO, But if one choses a 612, rest assure if it is trouble prone it can be exchanged without a charge with protection plan.
I replaced 2 612's in 6 months time, and E* finally just sent me a 722k for no addtional charge or commitment time.

Do you think they will do this for me w/o having to go through more 612s if I mention all the info about problems on this forum? I am having the video and audio drop outs with both 612s while watching live or recorded tv.

Do you think they will do this for me w/o having to go through more 612s if I mention all the info about problems on this forum? I am having the video and audio drop outs with both 612s while watching live or recorded tv.
IF you are having problems, they are just going to swap it out. If you continue with problems on the 2nd box, they may offer you a 722, or just request one.
I've never had equipment issues before the 612, I had the option of a 622 or a 722 at no cost. It Might not be the same out come. My guess it depends on you account status. Like Package, on time payments, and so on.

The first receiver on an account is included with the programming fee and there wouldn't be any additional charges for it except the $6 DVR fee or a possible fee if it isn't connected to a phone line or the internet. Additional receivers on an account after the first are subject to the additional receiver fees.

true but the 510 OP is thinking of replacing is the 3rd receiver on his account

IF you are having problems, they are just going to swap it out. If you continue with problems on the 2nd box, they may offer you a 722, or just request one.
I've never had equipment issues before the 612, I had the option of a 622 or a 722 at no cost. It Might not be the same out come. My guess it depends on you account status. Like Package, on time payments, and so on.

i brought it up when i chatted with a tech again about the issue, they said i could upgrade but would have to get rid of one reciver because of the 4 leased tuner rule. I said you are changing that to 6, but they said yes, but not till feb so can't do it now. However, although he/she said i could do it price never came up so not sure if they meant free. I will prob email the ceo next because this is getting annoying, I am a new customer, signed up in November, and this has been happening since the first week. If they don't change out the receiver or if they swap them out for another 612s and it keeps happening i will go to my local ag to get the contract nulled for non-functioning service. Already had to have them come out 3 times since they installed and seems like i am calling every week, this is not what i signed up for.

So Dish will charge you $10/month for your 722k (instead of the new $17/month charge for that box)?

Go with a ViP211 and add the EHD option. That makes it the HD equivalent of the 510, but there is no extra charge as a DVR, only $7 per month.

It also can record one OTA and one Sat channel at the same time.

Dual Tuner DVRs are going to have heavy DVR fees starting in February, the second one will be $17 per month - OUCH.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts