New receiver coming soon?

chrisn

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Wisconsin
When my phone contract is up in a few months I'll be getting a smartphone. I would like sling capability to go along with it. My question is... should I go with the 722k or is there perhaps a new box coming out sometime in 2011 that would be worth waiting for? I haven't heard anything, but any possibility?

Even if there was a new box you wouldn't want it unless you like BETA TESTING. DISH has never introduced a problem free box even the 922 that had a BETA test is still being debugged. For reliability a 722 with sling adapter might be the best current option.

I doubt very much that there will be a new receiver this year. I expect it more likely that the ViP922 will receive some upgrades.

Last edited:
Or just get a Slingbox that will work with virtually any device.....

The Vulkano has to be the worst streaming device I have EVER used.

I would read some reviews before sinking my money into one. I know a few people who were sent them to review them for their websites and the people sent them back to Monsoon declining to review it because it was just so bad.

Maybe it got better overtime I don't know but when it was released it was bad.

Here are some reviews.

Where’s the Vulkano Review?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/technology/personaltech/16pogue.html

The Vulkano has to be the worst streaming device I have EVER used.

I would read some reviews before sinking my money into one. I know a few people who were sent them to review them for their websites and the people sent them back to Monsoon declining to review it because it was just so bad.

Maybe it got better overtime I don't know but when it was released it was bad.

Here are some reviews.

Where’s the Vulkano Review?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/technology/personaltech/16pogue.html

I bought it for $100. I have had this for a couple of months now, and does a fairly good job quality wise.

I use it mostly to
1. View TV on my Mac in the upstairs office where there is no TV.
2. Record HD movies/shows to my USB stick for viewing when I am on the road.

I saw the reviews when I bought, but I thought $100 was a good spend since my VIP222K does not let me add EHD, and the upgrade to a DVR needed a new 24 mo commitment and $200 dollars fee.

Or a Vulkano for 100 bucks, that is both a DVR and a PVR. Easy to setup...works great. Unlike Sling, can stream to multiple local and 1 remote location.
You sure about that? My Hava Platinum can definitely stream to as many local LAN clients as I like. But my understanding from the Vulkano forum is (or was) that the Vulkano can only stream to one local client. Another surprising change is that they now state "near HD" rather than stating flat out that it streams in HD. Doesn't it do 720p?

You sure about that? My Hava Platinum can definitely stream to as many local LAN clients as I like. But my understanding from the Vulkano forum is (or was) that the Vulkano can only stream to one local client. Another surprising change is that they now state "near HD" rather than stating flat out that it streams in HD. Doesn't it do 720p?

I am able to stream simultaneously to my PC and Mac as I write this. So that works. The issue is with iPhone and iPad, where they are treated as remote 3G clients even when they are connected through the local WiFi.

Not sure about the resolution technicalities but the recorded stuff looks pretty decent on my MBP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)