New Receiver, Leasing Fee ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JL6267

Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
MA
I am about to switch from cable to Direct.
I have a family member that has a brand new receiver, which they never used.
They are willing to give it to me.
Will I still be charged a leasing fee for using it??

Thanks for your help.
Jay

If it is the only receiver on your account there is no fee. The 4.99 fee only applies to receivers above and beyond the first one. As far as owned or leased goes the extra receiver fee is the same.

And your family member will probably either be asked to return that receiver, or charged a few hundred dollars for it.

99% of us pay a "lease upgrade" fee when we get a receiver and don't really "own" it. To actually purchase a receiver costs, again, a few hundred dollars.

If it is an owned unit, you should be able to use it but probably will need to purchase a new access card ($20). In any case, you would need to lease at least one receiver from Directv and since they will supply up to four for free, you would probably better off not trying to activate that one. The monthly fee of $4.99 applies to all receivers after the first, whether they are leased or owned.

thanks bob I forgot about the access card ( although with luck they do activate cards sometimes on other peoples accounts, I have two cards from r10's I bought off of ebay that were activated for me :) )

thanks bob I forgot about the access card ( although with luck they do activate cards sometimes on other peoples accounts, I have two cards from r10's I bought off of ebay that were activated for me :) )

I guess you were lucky. I had a RCA SD receiver die on me and my daughter had a H10 that she no longer used. They wouldn't activate it with her card (I forgot to ask if I could use the card from the RCA), but the CSR said they had a $100 rebate on a $99 R15 (this was just before they switched to leasing), so I was able to upgrade to a DVR for free (I already had a DVR for my other TV).

Another thing to remember is if you decide to upgrade a receiver within 3 months of starting your service they charge a one time fee of $50. (per DTV customer Rep)

So my advice if you are like me and hate the Std receiver in a bedroom w/ HDTV and want to upgrade wait til the 91st day.

According to the reps I have spoken with they all claim I own my dvr. I have no lease fees on my monthly statement. Are you all sure that you can't buy a receiver? If that is true every rep I have spoken with would be wrong. wouldn't be surprising though.

I have a HR22. No 2yr commitment.

It's not that you can't buy a receiver but the cost is prohibitive. Where and how did you get your HR22? Is it the only unit you have? How long have you been with DirecTV? The answers to these questions could help explain your specific account and receiver situation.

It's not that you can't buy a receiver but the cost is prohibitive. Where and how did you get your HR22? Is it the only unit you have? How long have you been with DirecTV? The answers to these questions could help explain your specific account and receiver situation.

I bought directly from Direct and they specified it was mine and it was NOT a lease. I was $200 for the HR22 and $50 for the SD box (which I don't use) and some amount for install that I don't recall. New customer. I don't know if the rep erroneously sold me the boxes because all the reps that I have spoken with a surprised that it shows the boxes are not a lease when they check the system.

Yep. That's a screw up on their side. You paid the lease fee price, not the purchase price. Guess that's in your favor. How you got away without a two year committment is also a surprise. Let's just say you got very lucky and, in this case, got a CSR who really knew how not to do things. By the way, on a primary receiver, in this case your HR22 there'd be no monthly lease fee or mirroring fee since it's your one and only activated receiver. I haven't looked at my bill in awhile but as I recall it's charged and then credited back to zero out the fee.

It may or may not be charged and credited back. The negative part about owning it (other than cost) is that if you don't have the protection plan and a leased box fails Directv will replace it for a shipping charge but that doesn't apply to an owned receiver.

I have no lease fees on my monthly statement.
Do you have a fee on your bill that amounts to $4.99 or is your HR22 your only receiver?

$200 is not the retail price of the HR22 so I suspect you don't see the fee because it is the only active box on the account.

Do you have a fee on your bill that amounts to $4.99 or is your HR22 your only receiver?

$200 is not the retail price of the HR22 so I suspect you don't see the fee because it is the only active box on the account.

There is no 4.99 fee. Currently there is only a DVR fee of 5.99

When I had a SD box on the account there was this fee.
12/19 Additional Receiver 4.99

There is no 4.99 fee.
This is consistent with either a leased or an owned device as the primary receiver is free with a qualifying programming package.

If you want to know how DIRECTV views the "ownership" status, you should ask them.

Owning or leasing, the monthly costs are the same (with the possible exception of property taxes).

This is consistent with either a leased or an owned device as the primary receiver is free with a qualifying programming package.

If you want to know how DIRECTV views the "ownership" status, you should ask them.

Owning or leasing, the monthly costs are the same (with the possible exception of property taxes).

All the reps say that I own the box. It's noted on their computer screen because I have asked specifically each time I call in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts