New receiver upgrades; new problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lisa413

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
North Texas
Why can't things just go right?

So yesterday we upgraded our 622 to a 722 (one hdtv in living room) and our 211 to a 612 (master b-r). I'd hoped to just move the 622 to the master bedroom but of course, we have a 311 in our spare b-r (non-hd) and that gives us our 4 maximum.

Two issues:
The 722 seems to not have the sharpness of the 622. Just a little soft and I was surprised as I'd read that the 722 should produce a little better picture, not worse. Far as I know, the settings were duplicated by the tech (after I told him that he needed to scan for our local non-sat stations), so they'd show up on the guide; he knew nothing about that!). The best hd channels were just unbelievabley gorgeous before, now not quite so much. Have it set for 1080i (tv is 1080p).

The 612 has a constant, steady hum or buzz at all times. When in use, it's not a problem. But since it's in our master b-r and I have super-sonic hearing, it's a problem for me. I called tech and of course was told that that model does have a slightly louder hard drive and they could only replace it if it was so loud that it interfered with regular viewing. Oh, and this is with it powered off. The 211 was completely silent when turned off.

Should I push them for a replacement 612? Are there any settings I'm missing on the 722 that could improve the picture? I had the tv settings just how we like them and wouldn't know what to change.

We have a brand new Samsung LN52A650 and a Sony HT-C100 sound bar hooked up to the 722 and the tech was actually able to get the 6.3 remote to control the sound volume on. (I posted about that on another thread under 21.0 learning remote.

The 612 is hooked up to a Samsung 42 DLP and a dvd player, no sound system.

Let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks,
Lisa

Before you call back, take a look at how the tech connected the 722 to the set. Out here in Comcastland, the techs are instructed to connect the HD boxes via RF, regardless of what the customer requests and what cables are left out for him.

He may very well have left your HDMI disconnected and hooked you up with a low res cable.

There is only one hdmi cable connected to the tv and it goes to the Sony sound bar amp. Then there is one going from the amp to the 722 and one going from the amp to the bluray.
I suppose that's how it was already set up. Our son-in-law set it up for us before the 722 upgrade.
Is there another way to connect that might be better?

There is only one hdmi cable connected to the tv and it goes to the Sony sound bar amp. Then there is one going from the amp to the 722 and one going from the amp to the bluray.
I suppose that's how it was already set up. Our son-in-law set it up for us before the 722 upgrade.
Not positive about how one sets up a separate audio system with an HDMI, but i'm darn certain the HDMI should be going form the 722 to the TV's HDMI input. Your setup def sounds amiss (thankfully, since you're unhappy with the picture).

Actually Lisa, we might have identical setups. I have the Sony HT-CT100 soundbar. It is a great system with 3 HDMI's in and one out located on the subwoofer/amp. I have the 722 HDMI going to the "Sat" HDMI input, my dvd player to the "DVD" in and my 360 to the "BD" in. The sound gets processed there and out through the sound bar and then I have one hdmi out going from the soundbar to the tv. Works flawlessly for me.

It sounds like you are using your sony amp as a distribution center. As long as it is hooked up as you say it should work. However to see if the sony is the problem, i would take the hdmi straight from the dish box to the tv and see if the picture improves. If so, you have a problem with going thru the sony amp.( or the tech hooked up something wrong)

As far as I know, the 622 and 722 are identical, save for additional harddrive space and physical color of the box...

I believe the 722 has an improved chip set over the 622, which is why most find that it has a better picture than the 622.

Does the sound bar have picture settings that may need to be calibrated for the new hardware?

Have you tried plugging the 722 directly into the TV bypassing the sound bar?

As others have said, it looks like it is hooked up correctly.

2 things can kill you from this point. First, the 722 could be set to output a lower resolution, but you said the tech set it to 1080i.

You could also be having problems with HDCP copy protection. That will lower the resolution output over the HDMI to 480p. I don't think DISH is enforcing that yet, or only for a small percentage of material. I don't think that is the problem.

I don't know enough about the soundbar, so I can't comment on the settings there. Also, if I read your first message correctly, I don't think the tech messed with it. Is the input switch setting the same for the 722 as it was for the 622? In other words, did the tech use the same connection? If not, the resolution may be messed up on the soundbar.

That's all I can think of right now.

About the buzzing noise heard in the 612. I know that's irritating because mine does that. It's not the hard drive making noise. They actually have a very good hard drive in them. It's a Hitachi Cinemastar which is practically silent but the 612 does have a fan made by a company called ADA and it's that that is buzzing. It's mounted on the right side if youre facing the DVR and you're hearing it. I was debating about moving up to a 722 because of the noise but I do like the 612 and since I'm familiar with the hardware inside the 612 I decided to put up with the noise. I was thinking about customizing it and putting a quieter fan in it but I don't think I should mess with it since I technically don't own it according to Dish Network.

I also have a similar setup to yours with a Sony HT-2300 surround sound reciever and speakers controlling all of my HDMI components including a Sony Blu Ray. I don't have any picture quality problems in fact I think the picture quality improved after I routed everything thru the Sony stereo.

Make sure you have good quality HDMI cables. They do make a difference though there are those who claim that it's minor it is a factor. It's just like speaker wire where a certain thickness and quality of copper makes a difference for a cleaner stronger signal. Also it may take all of your compnents especially the new 722 reciever awhile to get broke in and output the best quality picture. Give it about 2 or 3 weeks as it syncs with your dish.

Last edited:
I had a problem once where the buzzing sound coming from the receiver was because inside the coax connector (from the dish) the shield was touching the stinger. I replaced the connector and the buzzing went away. I beleive the buzzing sound was coming from the power supply in the receiver.

Stupidly, I forgot to subscribe to this thread and have not had a chance to check for replies.
Thanks to all who responded. Before I do any of the suggestions, I'm waiting for a 722 replacement. It's having playback problems. I posted another thread about that.
Hubby's going through cancer treatment in Houston right now (we are in the Ft. Worth,Tx area) and has had to relocate there for 2 months. I'm trying to manage everything here at home and help with our business.
So overwhelmed I can't think straight. I will check on the connections when the replacement arrives. Have to set that up myself and never have. Probably should have just paid the $29 for a tech to come out.
I'm beginning to hate modern technology!!!

Maybe I'm just losing it! I checked and I DID subscribe to this thread. But I have only received one email notifying me of replies. I've got to pay better attention.

Interesting about the perceived difference between 622 and 722 because I can tell that I have confirmed that the horrid 222 actually does have a better PQ than the 722. The 222 is a bit, but still noticeably, sharper than the 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)