New receiver

mdntblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Corona, CA
Well basically my Sony STR-DE485 started getting lots of static on the left front channel the otherday. I thought it was because my son was messing around with the buttons one day. Well I went through all the settings and couldn't find anything wrong. But when I put it into 2CH mode it sounded horrible. So then I wondered if it was my speaker so I swapped the left and right but it stayed with the left. Now I can barely hear anything from the left speaker after a few more days. So my question is which receiver to get now.

I am kinda bummed at Sony because I haven't had this one for very long. Maybe 4 years at the most.

I basically have a DVD/VCR Combo, and my VIP-622 Dish network box hooked up to it. So I need some feedback to know what to get at a reasonable cost. I really don't want to spend more then $150 - $175. I would prefer to have 2 optical inputs so I don't have to use the coaxial input for my DVD. I use the optical one for my 622 right now.

What is everyone experience with other brands. I would like to make a purchase this next week if possible. I have basically a powered 12" sub, front left/right, center, and rear left/right. No rear center. So I only really need 5.1. Maybe someone wants to upgrade to a 7.1 or something and would sell me they're slightly used receiver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for everyones replies in advance.

It's a little more than you want to spend, but for the $$ the Pioneer VSX-816-K simply can't be beat. You should be able to get it for a little over $200. Very natural sound, plenty of functionality and power. I just replaced a 5-year old Sony with it and I'm very pleased.

w

Well I ended up going with the Pioneer VSX-516-S instead. Not as elaborate as the VSX-816 you mentioned. It was under $200 ($159 shipped to my door from beachcamera.com) and does everything I need.
Thanks for the information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts