new receivers new bugs?

new_to_hdtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
not far enough North
With the recent introduction of all the new Dish receivers I was just wondering from those who may know, whether Dish has learned anything in the past years that would maybe minimize the number of bugs in these new receivers?

Hi,

I haven't had any problems with my 411 so far (knowck on wood). Everything seems to be working smoothly.

There shouldn't be as many bugs as in the past since all they did was switch the broadcom mpeg decoder chip to Broadcom's latest (which supports h.264). I would think the underlying API for both chips would be the same. So, if any bugs come up, it would be with the "new" parts, for example the mpeg4 decoding or the ethernet port. This design should mean the firmware coders won't have to relearn everything, but we'll see. :)

FYI, the chips used in the 942 supported an ethernet port as well but it was not implemented. Broadcom has pretty much integrated everything you could think of on their latest set-top box chips. Its up to the provider to design a box to utilize all of them (ie firewire, usb2, ethernet, etc).

Bugs

I called in a new bug (advanced tech support had no record of it) for the vip211 last thursday.
When viewing local off air digital and the signal drops out sometimes the yellow aquiring signal banner does not come up on the screen, just a black screen.
When this happens the audio comes back but not the video (on all channels, off air and satellite) until I reset the reciever (press the power switch for at least 5-6 seconds) then it re aquires the signal and downloads the guide info and all is well until the next time it drops an off air signal...
I suppose this could happen with a dropped satellite signal as well ( I have not lost a signal from any of my Dishes)
Strange, I know, but a true story...

newboyspo

Newboyspo said:
I called in a new bug (advanced tech support had no record of it) for the vip211 last thursday.
When viewing local off air digital and the signal drops out sometimes the yellow aquiring signal banner does not come up on the screen, just a black screen.
When this happens the audio comes back but not the video (on all channels, off air and satellite) until I reset the reciever (press the power switch for at least 5-6 seconds) then it re aquires the signal and downloads the guide info and all is well until the next time it drops an off air signal...
I suppose this could happen with a dropped satellite signal as well ( I have not lost a signal from any of my Dishes)
Strange, I know, but a true story...
newboyspo

I have had that problem and a slightly different issue,... I turned on the 211 the other morning and had video with no audio. A reset fixed the issue there as well. I have had the problem you mentioned although it has been typically after watching the night before and shutting off for the evening. Come back home and reset the thing to see what I am hearing.

Seems to have happened 3-4 times since I got the new reciever week ago thursday, will keep you posted.

Q: I have been told that it is fine to leave the box on 24/7, any thoughts either way? My wife insists on a shutdown, I could care less as it uses about the same enrgy either way.

Most newer receivers have an auto-standby feature built-in.

You DEFINITELY want to free up the tuner(s) daily either by the auto-standby or via remote shutdown (Power button).

BK63ROSS: Your answer is no.

I've had this problem with this receiver also. Mine tends to drop an OTA signal and then I can't get the satellite video back, either. All I have for any channel is audio. Any idea why it might start doing that on a regular basis and take more than one "reboot" to fix?

it's a bug. may have to do with not talking to the broadcom chip right. assume a fix is coming soon for that.

it's better than my 6000 though. If you want an OTA for more than 1/2 an hour and hit the guide button, good luck. Program guide info is gone, tries to contact satellite, but can't seem to. If I tune to a sat channel first, then hit the guide, all is okay.

Never understood why when viewing OTA, the receiver stops talking to the satellite. It should check guide info every 15 minutes no matter what. It's not like the DBS tuner part is busy or anything...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts