New Roof - want to relocate dish - recomendations wanted

copyright1997

Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
NY
Hi all -
I just had a new roof installed. When I signed up for dish a few years ago, the installers set up the dish on the roof. Due to the style of house (Modern Cape) and the placement of the dish (near the roof ridge), it is very difficult to clean snow off of the dish. (I try to use a snow rake with a toilette bowl brush duct-taped on, but even that is iffy because of the flex of the rake at that distance).

So, when the roof was completed yesterday, I left the dish off.

I would like to find a local installer to do an alternative install, e.g. mount on the deck, pole mount, or even off a single story family room room (lower and more accessible). I would prefer not to do this through dish network because of my previous experience. I have trees in the area, so that may be an issue...but I also have chain saw(s) that I'm pretty handy with. :)

I'm located in the Albany NY area (Rensselaer county). Thanks.

I'm out in Wayne County, east of Rochester. My dish is located on the edge of the roof, 2 stories up. We only loose signal when there is heavy wet snow and usually that's only temporary. Was the old dish on the eastern or western arc? The eastern has a much stepper pitch to it.

Trees were prob the main reason it was put on the roof to start with. But if you are prepared to cut a path then you can find a local retailer to come out and check for LOS and have them point out what trees need to come down to avoid issues. But be prepared to pay for the inspection process cause time is money.

It's been a while since I've followed this forum...but Eastern Arc. My current satellites are 77/72/61.5. I think the issue was trees when pointing more to the west.

ETA: I don't usually get too much snow accumulation, but it does happen 3-4 times per winter and when it does it is a real PITA to deal with, or I have to wait a day + for it to clear. Since the dish is off the roof and I need to mount it somewhere, I figured this is the time to come up with a better solution. I don't want to have this issue during Hockey season.

That's eastern arc. Did you have much signal loss over the winter? We didn't. Only maybe 2 times and that was with heavy wet snow. I'm about 8 miles south of Lake Ontario.

re: winter. Maybe 3-4 times. Enough to be irritating due to the difficulty in resolving the problem when it happens.
re: Western Arc/Eastern. I'm playing with http://www.dishpointer.com, I'd say that I will need to stay with Eastern unless I'm prepared to cut a xxxx load of trees. So, it is more a matter of moving the install somewhere with the same LOS but not on the roof. I think it would go on the deck as all three sats track from the current location over the deck or on top of the roof for the one story part (next to the deck). I realize I do lose one + story vertical (and thus down stream trees may become an issue that weren't before), but if that is the case I'd only have to cut down a couple (most likely).

I have a range finder so I could measure distances and heights of the trees and play with dish pointer.com to compare its max height calc with the actual tree heights.

When I had my new roof installed last year, the last thing I wanted was to have the satellite dish on my new roof. I called dish and told them I just installed a new roof and did not want the dish on my new roof. I requested a pole mount. Dish said that was no problem.

Because I was a long time customer (over 17 years) and because I had the protection plan, Dish installed the pole mount and dish for free. I was really impressed because the pole had to be mounted about 100 feet from my house to clear the trees. It was not easy for the installer to bury wire in my yard because the ground is full of roots, but Dish did the install for free!

Besides not messing up my new roof, the pole mount makes it a lot easier to brush snow off the dish!

also there is good ole rain x or any type of non stick spray or anything that repels moisture.
liberally cost the reflector part of the dish down and you will be good for a while.

I had my friend who welds make me up a gable end mount. It's just a piece of steel bent 90°, with a couple of supports between the bent steel. Mark and drill out the foot pattern and screw the mount to the gable end trim. Works great and avoids holes in the roof.

Thanks all, I have a local place (on Dish's link) coming over on Saturday. I'm hopeful that a decent spot can be found for a pool, or absent that mounting on my deck or one story family room roof. If either of these isn't possible, I will look into some of the other suggestions (heater, gable end mount, etc.)

When I had my new roof installed last year, the last thing I wanted was to have the satellite dish on my new roof. I called dish and told them I just installed a new roof and did not want the dish on my new roof. I requested a pole mount. Dish said that was no problem.

Because I was a long time customer (over 17 years) and because I had the protection plan, Dish installed the pole mount and dish for free. I was really impressed because the pole had to be mounted about 100 feet from my house to clear the trees. It was not easy for the installer to bury wire in my yard because the ground is full of roots, but Dish did the install for free!

Besides not messing up my new roof, the pole mount makes it a lot easier to brush snow off the dish!

A pole mount to me is always the last place to put one. You have way too much of an issue of it getting hit by whatever be it kids, lawn mowers, animals (deer and bear even cows). The install was free but if you said 100 feet then you got off good because it is free up to 50feet and after that is a custom charge....AND if it is a ground full of roots and rocks the tech should have charged more doing it by hand. Some offices will have a digger to trench the cable at a later time which as I said you got off good! I sure hope you helped the guy bury that cable....

Hi all -
I just had a new roof installed. When I signed up for dish a few years ago, the installers set up the dish on the roof. Due to the style of house (Modern Cape) and the placement of the dish (near the roof ridge), it is very difficult to clean snow off of the dish. (I try to use a snow rake with a toilette bowl brush duct-taped on, but even that is iffy because of the flex of the rake at that distance).

So, when the roof was completed yesterday, I left the dish off.

I would like to find a local installer to do an alternative install, e.g. mount on the deck, pole mount, or even off a single story family room room (lower and more accessible). I would prefer not to do this through dish network because of my previous experience. I have trees in the area, so that may be an issue...but I also have chain saw(s) that I'm pretty handy with. :)

I'm located in the Albany NY area (Rensselaer county). Thanks.
dishpointer.com..................Lets you key in your street address. Click the dropdown menu to find your dish type. The APP will give you a google map view of your home and a pinter arrow which gives you an idea where the dish needs to be pointed and the max height of any obstacle which would interfere with reception

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts